Honda VTX Forum banner

101 - 110 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
12,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Huh, how did you determine you where losing fluid while being sucked back into radiator? Or is it not flowing back to the radiator?
Yeah, I could've worded that a little better. My coolant temp light came on several weeks ago (first time ever), so when I took the tank off the next day to check the fluid level, the coolant was low. Dummy me didn't bother looking at the reserve tank before putting more coolant in. A few days later, temp light comes on again. Check the level again under the tank the next day, and it's low. BTW, both times there were no visible leaks anywhere (puddle under bike, weep hole for the water pump). So this second time, I got under and checked the reserve tank and it was completely full. Doing some research on this, most were saying it's the radiator cap not holding pressure to bring the coolant back up when the engine cools down. We'll see how it does when I get back out and ride the bike for awhile.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
OK, i thought we where on to something new here..lol. I hope it is the cap. With no leaks probably so....vaporizing fluids off out the cap. No longer a sealed system.

·
Registered
12,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #105 (Edited)
116,658 miles - 11/13/17

- Installed new Barnett clutch/springs and Biglry clutch bolt kit
- Installed chrome final drive & dust ring
- Installed some other parts I had chromed
- Swapped my rims with a friend's chrome rims & had new bearings installed
- Installed new rear brake pads
- Replaced all side cover and spark plug cover grommets
- Replaced water pump, radiator, fan, fan motor, cooling system hoses, reserve coolant tank, thermostat, both thermostat switches and all o-rings associated with the cooling system. I also changed out all clamps to worm clamps for better clamping ability. I sprung a major coolant leak somewhere in the system and just decided to replace everything related to the system. Happy to report that the bike is running great and the temp light has not come back on
- Replaced the rectifier, both ignition coils and all four plug wires and boots
- Replaced the petcock fuel strainer and diaphragm assembly
- Replaced the band insulators (carb & manifold) and manifold bases with new ones
- Valve adjustment
- Oil/filter change
- Coolant change
- Final drive fluid change (added some moly paste as well)
- Installed Ride On tire sealant and balancer
- Installed new chrome wide blade levers
- Installed replacement horn from Wild Bikers (warranty on chrome peeling)
- Installed new clutch lever return spring
- Installed Super Brace
- Installed AudioVox CCS-100 cruise control with custom chromed billet aluminum control pad housing on left switch housing
- Installed two Longshot G4 HD GoPro camera mounts (one on the front, one on the back) so I can run my two Hero 4 Silver cameras off the bike's electrical system and record as long as I want
- Installed new "performance" Dooley baffles, which sound amazing compared to the regular ones...much deeper, without being obnoxious

·
Registered
866 Posts
116,658 miles - 11/13/17

- Installed new Barnett clutch/springs and Biglry clutch bolt kit
- Installed chrome final drive & dust ring
- Installed some other parts I had chromed
- Swapped my rims with a friend's chrome rims & had new bearings installed
- Installed new rear brake pads
- Replaced all side cover and spark plug cover grommets
- Replaced water pump, radiator, fan, fan motor, cooling system hoses, reserve coolant tank, thermostat, both thermostat switches and all o-rings associated with the cooling system. I also changed out all clamps to worm clamps for better clamping ability. I sprung a major coolant leak somewhere in the system and just decided to replace everything related to the system. Happy to report that the bike is running great and the temp light has not come back on
- Replaced the rectifier, both ignition coils and all four plug wires and boots
- Replaced the petcock fuel strainer and diaphragm assembly
- Replaced the band insulators (carb & manifold) and manifold bases with new ones
- Valve adjustment
- Oil/filter change
- Coolant change
- Final drive fluid change (added some moly paste as well)
- Installed Ride On tire sealant and balancer
- Installed new chrome wide blade levers
- Installed replacement horn from Wild Bikers (warranty on chrome peeling)
- Installed new clutch lever return spring
- Installed Super Brace
- Installed AudioVox CCS-100 cruise control with custom chromed billet aluminum control pad housing on left switch housing

SLACKARD!! :laugh:

I cleaned my windshield a few days ago.....

Reactions: MR VTX

·
Registered
12,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #108 (Edited)
117,502 miles - 8/5/18

So my temp light came on again not long after my last post when I (foolishly) replaced my entire cooling system without doing more in-depth investigation. So after more research on my specific issue, I found that there were a few other X riders who had the same issue...and it turned out to be a blown head gasket. I ordered a combustion leak detector test kit back in December of last year and doing the test confirmed the leak into the cooling system. So I decided to pull the motor a few months ago and tear it down to see for myself. And as soon as I removed the front cylinder head and turned it over, I saw where the leak was occurring. The pics show where the gasket was worn away near the exhaust port AND right next to a water jacket. The rear gasket appeared to be fine, but obviously it was best to replace both of them.

And I'm happy to report that the bike is back up and running, and the cooling system is performing normally...even after the cool-down. Overflow tank levels are normal. :thumbup:

I learned a lot doing this project and even completed it by myself...TWICE. I had the motor all put back together and back in the frame, when I was down to my last few parts left to install and realized that I had put the head covers on reversed. So out came the motor, I swapped the head covers and buttoned it up again.

* Coolant change
* Oil/filter change
* Valve adjustment (easiest one ever) :mrgreen:

Attachments

·
Registered
12,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
She's back on the road...will strip her down and send everything out for repair/paint soon. Feels good to be back on the road, though. And no more dragging the mufflers in the twisties. :grin2:

Attachments

101 - 110 of 110 Posts