Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a MTC clutch a couple of years ago. I had an accident with my bike Sept 9th 2019. I haven't ridden it until March 26th. I have started the bike many times during this time frame. When i got on to actually take it out for a spin March 26th, the clutch is seized up tight. the clutch has seized up before but it would jump when i put it in gear and and everything would be fine after the initial jerk. This is the longest the bike has ever sat without being ridden since i got it in 2007. Am i going to have to tear it down and disassemble the clutch to get it rolling again?

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
Have you got good lever pressure from the clutch???
There is also a bushing that is a wear item. If it has slack replace it.

You can try to break it loose pushing the X it back and forth with the lever operated..
Going up to a high gear will give you more mechanical advantage.

Others rev engine a few times while lever is operated.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I wouldn't break it loose when the bike is running by putting in gear bad things can happen like smashing into stuff or breaking clutch parts. The longer they sit the stickier they get. I would do as Hans recommended put the bike in 2nd or 3rd pull the clutch and rock it back and forth as hard as you can(bike is not started) If that doesn't work get a friend to help push the bike. If it breaks free I would change the oil and run her hard. My MTC sticks after a couple of weeks one time it was month before I road and when I put into gear it hit so hard it broke my charger belt in half. There were a few extenuating circumstances but I don't start until I check the clutch any more. I used to have the same problem with my Honda 450R 4 wheelers set up for the dunes they would stick hard if they sat for a month. good luck

·
Registered
9,495 Posts
idle engine till OIL is at normal temperature...

pull clutch lever in AND rev engine sharply a few times... then shift into second gear.

16 years.. this is common.. for bikes that SIT.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I read up on all the information about installing the MTC clutch. I had installed one .25 and one .50 washer on each spring. I took the clutch out and had to literally pry each clutch disk and steel disk apart. the steel disks were discolored where the clutch disks were stuck. I oiled all disks and removed the .25 washer from each spring. i put it all back together and drove it today. It is working again. the transmission seems to shift easier. No slippage.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I read up on all the information about installing the MTC clutch. I had installed one .25 and one .50 washer on each spring. I took the clutch out and had to literally pry each clutch disk and steel disk apart. the steel disks were discolored where the clutch disks were stuck. I oiled all disks and removed the .25 washer from each spring. i put it all back together and drove it today. It is working again. the transmission seems to shift easier. No slippage.
I used .75 in washers and am putting 145 hp with 137 torque to the ground .5 should be good. I still dont think it was the springs it was sitting so long I have to break mine loose after a week. Make sure you use good motorcycle oil especially if it is sitting for extended periods some oils will leave a really sticky gunk after they sit. I like mobile 4T synthetic myself enjoy the ride

1 - 6 of 6 Posts