Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Old Goat
25,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
probably not the right forum but can some one recommend a inexpensive multimeter....TIA....

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Reactions: TennX

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Phil, try googling 'Micronta'. They were Radio Shacks store brand forever and were a great value. I would not be surprised if they making 'Craftsmen' branded meters now. Even though I treated my self to a Fluke meter once I was a bit established, I still have the Micronta I started out with. A 'hold' function comes in very handy when you need to watch where you're putting both hands.

·
Registered
9,764 Posts
Phil, you should have said something last year

I had an RCA multi-meter... Tube Type... from the 1960' and still held calibration..and could be re-calibrated ..

:)
Fluke 101,, $45.00
not cheap.. but dependable. and worth the money.

I got a Fluke 75,, in 1989.... still holds calibration.

·
Registered
7,702 Posts
Believe it or not......I have maybe 4 different ones, from my former job in HVACR. I have one of the cheapie HF ones, and it is nearly as accurate across the scales as the better ones I have.

·
Old Goat
25,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A cheap o meter won’t feel like such a great deal if it blows up in your hand.
What are you using it for?
. I routinely deal with 480 and nothing less than a Fluke for me.
car/mc and light duty around the house...but dont assume I know how to use it....lol

·
Registered
9,764 Posts
car/mc and light duty around the house...but dont assume I know how to use it....lol

a word of caution
do NOT probe data lines to a computer,ecm,fuel injection..
or circuits that require 10,000,000 ohm's or higher multimeter
yes 10 million ohm's

also.. not high voltage..480 and above.. unless meter is designed for it

I have been using a multimeter since God gave me one.. < a Very Long Time Ago>

I will repeat myself.. Fluke...

Reactions: rangers4u and TennX

·
Registered
7,702 Posts
Donny loves to find fault with others. He apparently missed the fact I stated I had 4 of them. The cheapo is for little household tinkering. The other 3 I have are a Sperry Clamp-on with an analog scale, a UEI digital multimeter, and another off brand, I don't even know what, clamp-on. When I was in the HVACR field, MOST of my work was at 2 or 3 coal-fired electrical generating stations, and I routinely worked around 480 volts too. FLUKE is probably the industry standard, but out of my pay grade at the time.

·
Super Moderator
6,634 Posts
Phil, if you PM your address I'll send you one. I bought it at Radio Shack decades ago and it still works fine.
With a multimeter it uses a battery to test continuity (ohms), and that's the only use of the battery in the meter. If you are using one to test continuity make darn sure you don't have power turned on to the device of circuit that you are testing, if you are using the ohms setting on the meter! For voltages and amperages the power needed to test those comes from the circuit being tested itself. The videos on youtube will likely tell you all you need to know if you are only looking for around the house usage.
If you are trying to make sure that power is or is not present around the house you can buy inexpensive audible testers, made by Sperry and others, for that that only need to be held close, to an outlet for instance, in order for the little tester to sense power and alert you. And you don't need to actually connect it to anything physically.

·
Premium Member
7,139 Posts
Those cheapo units are great for the price, just remember that you're getting something that is made to hit a price point. I bought one, like the HF unit shown, and it worked okay for what I needed it for. It is now, however, basically junk as I can no longer rely on consistent readings. It was a "gotta fix this now but don't have the right tools with me" purchase (camping) and it served it's purpose when I needed it, but I feel I got what I paid for. Could last years, or hours and anything between. For what you describe your needs are, it's worth a shot for the price. If you find you use it a lot, and it doesn't last, you may wish to invest a few more dollars on the next one. Personally for the extra $20, I'd but the Fluke 101 every time, hands down. It's 600V rated and will serve you reliably years.

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Old Goat
25,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I posted a new thread as to why I wanted a meter...guess I should have stated here....I dont know that much about electrical...I do ok following instructions...lol...thanks for the replies....

·
Registered
87 Posts
In my opinion, when a multimeter is mostly used to work on 12v DC machinery by backyard hacks, the cheaper the better. When homeowners start jamming them in their homes plugins and light sockets, most people have no clue what they are doing. They don't know the difference between A/C and D/C. Sometimes it is nice to measure DC current but that drives the cost up. I wanted to test a capacitor on my camper's air conditioner that does not work but I do not have a meter that measures micro farads. And capacitors can store dangerous voltages. I use the ohm meter function and DC voltage function quite a bit. Fluke and Hioki make good stuff.

·
Registered
760 Posts
This is what I have (an older model I got in-store when radio shacks were around):

·
Old Goat
25,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Phil, if you PM your address I'll send you one. I bought it at Radio Shack decades ago and it still works fine.
With a multimeter it uses a battery to test continuity (ohms), and that's the only use of the battery in the meter. If you are using one to test continuity make darn sure you don't have power turned on to the device of circuit that you are testing, if you are using the ohms setting on the meter! For voltages and amperages the power needed to test those comes from the circuit being tested itself. The videos on youtube will likely tell you all you need to know if you are only looking for around the house usage.
If you are trying to make sure that power is or is not present around the house you can buy inexpensive audible testers, made by Sperry and others, for that that only need to be held close, to an outlet for instance, in order for the little tester to sense power and alert you. And you don't need to actually connect it to anything physically.
Thanks but Gesture would be wasted on me....

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Donny loves to find fault with others. He apparently missed the fact I stated I had 4 of them. The cheapo is for little household tinkering. The other 3 I have are a Sperry Clamp-on with an analog scale, a UEI digital multimeter, and another off brand, I don't even know what, clamp-on. When I was in the HVACR field, MOST of my work was at 2 or 3 coal-fired electrical generating stations, and I routinely worked around 480 volts too. FLUKE is probably the industry standard, but out of my pay grade at the time.
Who's finding fault, I asked what he was using it for.
Believe it or not, I didn't even pay attention to what you wrote.
Calm down 😀

·
Old Goat
25,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Phil,
I have way too many meters. PM me your addy and I'll send you out a nice Fluke 324 plus. On me.
As I replied to Vtox...gesture would be wasted on me....Ive never used one in my life....was gonna check the new yuasa ....just gonna let her bump.....many Thanks

·
Registered
9,764 Posts
Phil,
I have way too many meters. PM me your addy and I'll send you out a nice Fluke 324 plus.
No charge, you're an asset to the site.
Donnie,,
if Phil does not wish to own your Fluke 324,,, would you be willing to Sell the Fluke 324, as I have somewhat fallen in to house wiring projects... a clamp on might be nice
the past 2 weeks.. old ladies are having 120 volt wiring issues...
old adage ..
tell a woman
tell a burnsworth
tell anyone in a RV retirement park..

Reactions: rangers4u
1 - 20 of 28 Posts