Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This comparison was on a 1300C.

Well, I finally did it. I have both the Ultimate Midrider and the Mustang seat with drivers backrest. This is what I think of both.

First off, I bought the Ultimate Midrider because I was too big for the Lowrider although I really wanted the drivers backrest. I used it for several months and was really happy with the comfort except in the back of my mind, I really wanted a backrest. So, I order a mustang seat with backrest a couple of weeks ago.

Today I installed the Mustang seat. The first thing I noticed was the seat doesn't fit to the tank as well as the Ultimate but still much better than the stock seat. Next, I had to remove my saddlebags because my bags have leather that runs from one bag to the other under the passenger seat. That leather raised the seat so much that I couldn't get the acorn nut even close to going on. I'll have to come up with a solution for that later.

During my first trip with the seat the first thing I notice was the seat was hard. And I mean HARD! Much harder than the Ultimate which was comfortable from the start.

Also, while I think the width of these two seats are about the same at the tank, when I put my feet down at a stop, I could really notice the mustang seat didn't give any at all which made it more uncomfortable on the inside of my legs with my feet down. I'm sure I can get used to this.

I did really enjoy that backrest though. Very adjustable both up and down and back and forward. Really nice. It makes me forget about the hard seat.

My wife prefers the Mustang passenger seat to the Ultimate. She hated the Ultimate passenger seat. She'd complain after 10 minutes on it but was happy as punch on the Mustang. She's thrilled.

So which seat will I end up keeping........... :roll: I don't know. Right now, I have to give this Mustang a chance. I hear they get more comfortable over time. I sure hope so :?

Mustang seat

Ultimate Midrider seat

More pictures from various angles are located at the link below.

I edited this to try and make the pictures bigger.

·
Registered
816 Posts
great post. there's a reason why they call it "ULTIMATE" :pepper1:

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
THEY BOTH LOOK GREAT. LET ME KNOW IF YOU WANNA SELL THE ULTIMATE. WHAT DO YA WANT FOR IT?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Clasic X said:
Clasic X,

How do you like those Beach Handlebars? Are they swept back toward you and a little higher than stock?, and did you have to use longer cables?

I think thats what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THEY BOTH LOOK GREAT. LET ME KNOW IF YOU WANNA SELL THE ULTIMATE. WHAT DO YA WANT FOR IT?
I haven't made up my mind yet as to which seat I'm keeping. :?

There's a couple of guys interested already but I'll keep you in mind if one of them doesn't want which ever seat I decide to sell.

I just don't want to rush into selling the wrong seat and regretting that because both seats have there good points and their faults.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Skotyman said:
Clasic X said:
Clasic X,

How do you like those Beach Handlebars? Are they swept back toward you and a little higher than stock?, and did you have to use longer cables?

I think thats what I'm looking for.
compared to the stock retro bars, they're wider, lower and further back. i had to add 6" to all the electrical wiring, clutch, throttle and brake lines.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have the ultimate mirider on my c - and I love it - but to be fair, you should give the mustang about 500miles to wear in.

I bet that it will be about the same, except it may be a bit lower which i would hate (6"0 tall/short) but if the wife prefers the mustang passenger seat your decision may be made right there :)

·
Seat Dr
5,159 Posts
I had a Mustang on my Retro for several thousand miles. I also noticed the discomfort when putting your legs down at a stop light, it felts like the seat wanted to hold my thighs level when they needed to be extended down to the ground. It was also hard out of the box and hard when I sold it. It still was a hundred time more comfortable than the stock seat when riding though. I got to sit on a Ultimate sometime later and that is the Cadillac of motorcycle seats, fit good and felt more like sitting in recliner than a motorcycle seat. If I were in the market I would definitely buy a ultimate.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I to have tried those two along with the Corbin. I stuck with the Mustang. It does ride a bit different from the Ultimate but I prefer the look and the ride does get better with time. The Corbin I didn't like at all. It was the duel touring one.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
nathan61999 said:
My wife prefers the Mustang passenger seat to the Ultimate. She hated the Ultimate passenger seat. She'd complain after 10 minutes on it but was happy as punch on the Mustang. She's thrilled.
Sounds like you made a little sacrifice so the wife could be a little more comfy. That's nice.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Mustang seat

Both are great seats but I decided on the Wide Touring Seat w/drivers backrest by Mustang. At first it was harder than I thought but over the next 50 plus miles, it started to feel better. Have now 2000 miles on the seat and it feels great. Wife loves the passenger seat.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I decided to keep the Mustang seat mainly due to the backrest. I truly hope it does get softer but even if it doesn't, I hope the backrest will be worth it.

Yesterday I decided to sell the Ultimate Midrider and I gave the first person that contacted me (he contacted me within 5 minutes of the original post) the opportunity to buy it and last night he did. So, it's SOLD.

Again, out of the box, the Ultimate is very comfortable but they don't make a backrest for a person over a certain size for a C. I wish they would. I think the Mustang looks better on a C (maybe) plus you can get a backrest.

I wish Ultimate WOULD WAKE UP and make us larger guys a seat with a backrest!!!!

Did I say I wanted a backrest yet :wink:

·
Registered
86 Posts
I sure like my Corbin. It is really comfortable for the rider and I love the convenience of interchanging the backrest from front to back thus eliminating the sissy bar in the back. Rarely do I have a passenger riding but if I do, it only take 10 seconds to switch the back rest from front to back. Every one has their preference, I just like the look of the Corbin on my bike. The Mustang and Ultimate's are very, very sharp too especially the single seat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts