Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would share the install that I did last weekend. I added a 12v outlet to the neck of my VTX1300c with a waterproof Marinco receptacle. Thanks to you guys and all your posts about wiring- I learned how to use a relay that switches off the brown license plate wire.

Initially, I was only concerned about function, and less about form. Considering that, I'm really excited about how good this install looks. There is a sweet spot behind the neck plate- just enough space for the back of the outlet and its wires to fit. It looks factory installed!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Very nice install. Will your forks, when turned to their maximum to the right, hit a plug-in?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It depends on the plug. There is about 2" clearance before hitting the fork. It doesn't sound like much, but most adapters don't stick out farther than that when plugged in. The most important thing is that the forks don't even get that close to the adapter until just before full lock. I tried a few UTurns while riding, and the forks don't even get close.

I first tested it with a 12v plug that adapts to USB, with a USB cable out to the mini-USB input of the GPS. That was way too long; about 6-7 inches of adapters. Still, it didn't touch during riding. It only made contact when I was stopped and backing up the bike with the bars to the far right.

I need to try it this weekend with the regular adapter that came with the GPS. I just need to find which box of cables I put it in. :dontknow:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts