Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Ok, Why?:dontknow: Does this have anything to do with all these cities finally getting ticked-off about the "too loud" pipes?

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I had mine in storage for over 3 years??? then I decided to get rid of them.
Gave them to the Honda shop here in town.

They will have to catch me first:doorag:

·
Registered
381 Posts
That sounds like "ride it like you stole it":shock::yikes::yikes::bowdown:

·
Seasoned Member
8,334 Posts
I recently heard that Maine had some sort of "must be stock" law coming up.

Personally I'll believe it when I see it.

That being said, If I had aftermarket pipes betchya @$$ i'd be keeping hold of the stockers. No sense having to spend money to replace what I already got.

"They need to catch me first" is a nice tag line, but all they need is your license plate, then they can get all the info they need to knock on your door with a summons.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
if i end up in court about loud pipes, i will bring in every instance
of loud stereos where i have phoned the police and they did
nothing!!!

i had some butthead kid driving past my place at 3 am with his
stereo shaking my house and it took two years of phone call to
the cops to get off their asses and go and talk to him ...

I documented every instance and every phone call ...

and what about all the semi's with loud pipes?

and what about my neighbour's screaming kids ... they have
drowned out my bike!!!

and my neighbour's stupid endless barking dogs!!!

someone wants to bitch about my loud pipes? bring it on ...

I want my day in court!!!!

·
Seasoned Member
8,334 Posts
if i end up in court about loud pipes, i will bring in every instance
of loud stereos where i have phoned the police and they did
nothing!!!

i had some butthead kid driving past my place at 3 am with his
stereo shaking my house and it took two years of phone call to
the cops to get off their asses and go and talk to him ...

I documented every instance and every phone call ...

and what about all the semi's with loud pipes?

and what about my neighbour's screaming kids ... they have
drowned out my bike!!!

and my neighbour's stupid endless barking dogs!!!

someone wants to bitch about my loud pipes? bring it on ...

I want my day in court!!!!
:roll: All well and good, but it doesn't change what you were doing wrong.

Citing cases of two wrongs make a right probably won't get you too far in court. . aside from adding court fees and whatnot. . :lol:

:popcorn: I'm sure there are those that will dispute that. .

·
Registered
381 Posts
Sometimes it's just safer to stay under the radar:shock::confused::roll:

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
I kept my stock pipes and I am glad I did - they really don't take up that much room hanging on the wall in the garage and the laws are changing. But for now, loud pipes around here seem to be perfectly ok as far as the law goes, even though there is already a law on the books that prohibits them - no one seems to care. and I do agree with the loud music issue... as long as no one cares about or does notning about the loud music and the the loud pipes on the little street screaming cagers - my loud pipes will remain on my bike. and my pipes are not near as anoying as the speakers in that little POS next door.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
:roll: All well and good, but it doesn't change what you were doing wrong.

Citing cases of two wrongs make a right probably won't get you too far in court. . aside from adding court fees and whatnot. . :lol:

:popcorn: I'm sure there are those that will dispute that. .
It has NOTHING to do with "doing something wrong" and everything to do with TOLERANCE and COURTESY.

Otherwise, everything we do can be looked at as "irritating" to someone else.

I tolerate barking dogs withing reason and my neighbors tolerate my bike going by once in a while.

Thats the way it should be.

Then people start abusing the "right" to be noisy.

And other people's blood starts to boil.

Tolerance and courtesy my friends.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I see alot of stock pipes wanting to sell...my opinion??? KEEP THEM AROUND...
:dontknow: Okay, I give up. WHY??? What do you base your opinion on? Why the concern over other peoples' pipes? Is Obama gonna form a Department of Excessive Motorcycle Noise and appoint you to oversee it? What's the story???

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Instead of "stock" pipes - couldn't you just put a more restrictive baffle in the after-market pipes?

I bought a bike with straight pipes. Went to the local muffler place and they made a set of baffles for me in about 20 minites. $50.

Wrapped them with fiberglass and Viola! Nice low rumble. Much closer to the "stock" pipes than to the straight pipes. Could have used an even smaller baffle (more restrictive), if so inclined.

So really - couldn't you just "quiet down" an aftermarket set of pipes with the right amount of baffle/restriction?

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
So......

....what if you fashioned a Honda emblem out of stainless steel or another type of material; and then affixed it to your aftermarket pipes?

Pointing this out to the law may get you out of that ticket, don't you think?

"It's original equipment officer, see; it says it right there....."

I mean, Harley Davidson has their logo all over their parts, so why would not a Honda logo be believable?

Kindest regards,

-Will

G

·
I recently heard that Maine had some sort of "must be stock" law coming up.

Personally I'll believe it when I see it.
You might start believing and I will tell you why.

So......

....what if you fashioned a Honda emblem out of stainless steel or another type of material; and then affixed it to your aftermarket pipes?

Pointing this out to the law may get you out of that ticket, don't you think?

"It's original equipment officer, see; it says it right there....."

I mean, Harley Davidson has their logo all over their parts, so why would not a Honda logo be believable?

Kindest regards,

-Will
Won't work .... here's why!

Several municipalities has tried and some still use Sound Level Meters to measure for sound compliance. Well in many cases the methodology and equipment used by the authorities were challenged in court and defeated.

The EPA is the arbiter of sound levels from motor vehicles, however due to the lack of resources they do not enforce and leave it up to the states. Recognizing the difficulties in actually measuring sound along the side of the road they came up with an alternative. They know that the manufacturers have submitted to testing of their exhaust systems and have in fact labeled the exhausts of various bikes as to application.

The EPA has created what is known as the " Label Matchup " enforcement system. This is where an officer may pull you over and LOOK at your exhaust, if the EPA Label markings on the pipe do not " match up " with the model of bike you are not in compliance and can be ticketed.

Here is the real kicker ...... the cop does not have to SEE you riding, or HEAR your bike to cite you. They can walk up to a parked, stone cold bike and if the labels do not match, your cited for non-compliance.

The Label Match-Up Program

Two key elements of the label match-up are contained in the federal regulations. They are noise emissions testing, and labeling. This applies to street9-1 (highway use), and off road9-2 (dirt bikes) motorcycles manufactured after December 31, 1982, which are for sale in the U.S.
Labeling

Once the motorcycle successfully passes the noise emissions test (J331a), two labels (one on the vehicle chassis, the other on the vehicle muffler) are required to be affixed in a "readily visible position" at the factory. Both these labels contain an identical model specific code 9-8 (along with other information) that is unique to the make and model of the motorcycle. The comparison of the model specific code between the two labels provide a way to "match up" the muffler to the motorcycle.
A regulated motorcycle that has an exhaust system installed without the correct label (i.e. competition use, pre regulation, export only, or no label at all) or has an exhaust system from a different make and model of motorcycle (un-matching model specific codes), is in violation of federal regulations and section 4909a(2) of the Noise Control Act (NCA).
The label match-up, quite simply, eliminates all ambiguity as to what is or isn't a suitable motorcycle muffler. It greatly lightens the burden on police, who normally would have to place a subjective value like "excessive" or "unusual" on motorcycle exhaust noise, by instead just requiring a simple visual check for the correct muffler label and model specific code. Enforcement is this easy. No sound level meters or special skills are required.
The first is the "motorcycle noise emissions control information label" affixed to the motorcycle chassis (as defined and required by 40 CFR205.158). This label includes the model year, a model specific code that only appears on an approved muffler designed for a specific vehicle, engine rpm during federal test procedure, the statement "this motorcycle meets EPA noise emissions requirements of either 83dba or 80dba" and a warning that "tampering" is in violation of federal law.

G

·
:dontknow: Okay, I give up. WHY??? What do you base your opinion on? Why the concern over other peoples' pipes? Is Obama gonna form a Department of Excessive Motorcycle Noise and appoint you to oversee it? What's the story???
That department already exists ...... read the above post! :D

·
Registered
12,797 Posts
Don't act a fool and 99.9% of cops won't bother you. :thumbup:
:beer3:

I am not gonna believe that pipes are going to be a big issue. There are just too many bikes with pipes and cops have too much to do already. The powers to be may say "OK, start enforcing pipe noise laws officers", but really the only people who are gonna get nailed are the idiots. And I think they should be nailed.

·
Banned
13,031 Posts
Buy a Roadhouse Shorty and ride w/o worry. It's not loud unless ya rev it and looks close nuff to oem to get a pass from most LEO that otherwise might cite ya.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Pipes

It's kinda ironic but my bike is a retired Police cruiser and now has straight pipes and I love it! My favorite bumper sticker is "LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES!"

Live and Ride hard!!!!!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts