Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love my 2003 VTX 1800S.
I purchased a cheap car tire just to test the waters and have been very pleased with the performance of this cheap effective tire. It is a Antares Ingens A1 All-Season Tire - 195/65R15 91H
I have put 8,000 hard, rubber smoking miles on the tire; no joke, I have been beating on this tire at almost every launch. It is still very close to new tread level and handles great. I run it at 42psi and it only took 60psi to seat it. Yes the rims are spoke and I used a silicone designed for metal to seal the spokes; zero issues or leaks. Just wanted to share this with those who are interested.
Seriously did not expect this out of a 42 dollar car tire. The only thing I noticed different is if you go into a low lean turn like rounding a 45 almost dragging peg, it is best not to give it heavy gas in the middle. Not unstable just an odd feeling and to be honest this is not something people do in general anyway; I just tend to push things when testing. You may also need to fight uneven roads a little harder but it is well worth it.

·
Super Moderator
7,197 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Quite the controversial subject for a first post.

For those of us who have tried it yours is another testimony to what we have found to be true ourselves. To others a reply like yours might be yet another assault on their own sensibilities.

Prepare yourself of all replies.

Welcome to the Board. Ride safe!

·
Old Goat
26,430 Posts
I’m not preaching the DS....lot of folks cant wrap their head around the concept...I have 50k on my 06 1300 r and most of that is DS....for me early on the trick was to let the bike do its thing and not try and over correct....if u can learn to enjoy the quirks ..its a fun ride....stay safe and good luck..

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
633 Posts
Love my 2003 VTX 1800S.
I purchased a cheap car tire just to test the waters and have been very pleased with the performance of this cheap effective tire. It is a Antares Ingens A1 All-Season Tire - 195/65R15 91H
I have put 8,000 hard, rubber smoking miles on the tire; no joke, I have been beating on this tire at almost every launch. It is still very close to new tread level and handles great. I run it at 42psi and it only took 60psi to seat it. Yes the rims are spoke and I used a silicone designed for metal to seal the spokes; zero issues or leaks. Just wanted to share this with those who are interested.
Seriously did not expect this out of a 42 dollar car tire. The only thing I noticed different is if you go into a low lean turn like rounding a 45 almost dragging peg, it is best not to give it heavy gas in the middle. Not unstable just an odd feeling and to be honest this is not something people do in general anyway; I just tend to push things when testing. You may also need to fight uneven roads a little harder but it is well worth it.
You say you have an 1800S did you get different wheels or are you running an inner tube inside of that Car tire. I've been out of the loop for a while but was around when the the darkside started taking off pretty hevey through the VTX community several years ago. You would be the 1st person I ever saw going dark side on a spoked wheel. I thought it was something that could only be done on solid wheels (Spokeless). Which is the reason I never gave it a try.

·
Registered
633 Posts

·
Old Goat
26,430 Posts
No Thanks. I hate these spoked wheels with a passion. The 1st chance I find a set of wheels C or R wheels that I can afford I'm snatching them up.
Never mind.....>:)

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
Darkside and never going back. Good luck

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
This topic is as old and beaten and controversial as what oil to use. LOL

Lest this thread turn into a DS-only love fest (and we cant allow that...LOL) I thought I'd chime in.

I am one of the most frugal SOBs around.....and I give props to the guys who have taken this leap of faith on their own engineering theories and stcuk with the DS on principle of saving cash....but this is one area I will continue to succumb to the professional engineer guidelines. Been riding for 20 years and to be honest every time I buy tires I consider the DS.....thinking about how I could use the extra money saved for anything but tires.......and so far every time I have passed.

I found this article below interesting..... as it says in the article, many folks also ride for years without a helmet and without incident...until the day something changes that. Seems like most DSers make the comment "It is a little different, but once your get used to it...." or something to that effect. Which makes me wonder --- just because you get used to something, is it safe?

http://ridermagazine.com/2016/05/20/tales-from-the-dark-side-putting-car-tires-on-motorcycles/

·
Super Moderator
7,197 Posts
This topic is as old and beaten and controversial as what oil to use. LOL

Lest this thread turn into a DS-only love fest (and we cant allow that...LOL) I thought I'd chime in.

I am one of the most frugal SOBs around.....and I give props to the guys who have taken this leap of faith on their own engineering theories and stcuk with the DS on principle of saving cash....but this is one area I will continue to succumb to the professional engineer guidelines. Been riding for 20 years and to be honest every time I buy tires I consider the DS.....thinking about how I could use the extra money saved for anything but tires.......and so far every time I have passed.

I found this article below interesting..... as it says in the article, many folks also ride for years without a helmet and without incident...until the day something changes that. Seems like most DSers make the comment "It is a little different, but once your get used to it...." or something to that effect. Which makes me wonder --- just because you get used to something, is it safe?

http://ridermagazine.com/2016/05/20/tales-from-the-dark-side-putting-car-tires-on-motorcycles/

In a word, no. But it is not the act of riding on a CT that makes it safe, regardless of how many times it is done. It is the fact that CTs have carried riders for millions of miles collectively without any known failures that could be attributed to a failure of the tire brought about simply be running it on a motorcycle rather than the corner of an automobile. If you doubt the claim of millions of miles remember that car tires have been used on motorcycles for decades by untold numbers of riders. Car tires have failed due to road hazards but that is not a true factor in whether they are safe in this application or not because MT also have failures for this reason.
So at the end of the day, it is empirical evidence that proves that using a CT on a motorcycle is not only safe, but also economical, engineers' thoughts aside. The "best" minds on earth long held the belief that the earth was flat. But facts trump theory. It's as simple as that.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
In a word, no. But it is not the act of riding on a CT that makes it safe, regardless of how many times it is done. It is the fact that CTs have carried riders for millions of miles collectively without any known failures that could be attributed to a failure of the tire brought about simply be running it on a motorcycle rather than the corner of an automobile. If you doubt the claim of millions of miles remember that car tires have been used on motorcycles for decades by untold numbers of riders. Car tires have failed due to road hazards but that is not a true factor in whether they are safe in this application or not because MT also have failures for this reason.
So at the end of the day, it is empirical evidence that proves that using a CT on a motorcycle is not only safe, but also economical, engineers' thoughts aside. The "best" minds on earth long held the belief that the earth was flat. But facts trump theory. It's as simple as that.
LOL Not looking to stoke the flames. Obviously you LOVE the DS. Not any of my business that you do or don't. I frankly do not care one way or the other, any more than I care if someone wears a lid or not. We are big boys and girls, we can decide for ourselves.

But in the theory that we are having a nice conversation.....let me say this....(deep breath, stepping onto the soap box)

Comparing "they once thought the earth was flat" to "car tires are not designed/engineered for use on a motorcycle and motorcycles are not designed with using car tires on the rear (only)" is apples to oranges......supposition to facts bore out by science.

People used to think the earth was flat because on the surface it made sense and no one had every proven otherwise. They didn't have any facts to work with other than what they had and no way to get the facts. Til they had them, and then everything changed.

In the same vein, doctors also once touted smoking tobacco as "medicinal" and "therapeutic" because up til then they didn't know that smoking causes all sorts of cancers. Doctor's were not "ignorant of the truth", they just didn't have all the facts yet. Til decades later. Aaaaaaand, now we know. I liken the "safe vaping" craze to that early smoking experience. "A wonderful more healthy option!" the vape companies say......yeah, we'll see. But I digress. LOL

The reason your comparison is apples to oranges is because things like side loads, sidewall strengths, compound makeup and contact patch science all come in to play and have been designed into car and motorcycle tires....and those are not suppositions, they are engineering facts. Car tires are NOT designed to lean over onto their sides into corners like a bike requires them to do. Any more than bike tires are designed to run on cars.

Folks have , in an effort to save money in world history, made LOTS of things work. Just cause it seems to work doesn't mean it should be done IMHO. It's akin to the "here, hold my beer" sentiment.

Anyone can continue to believe that smoking is good for them or that the world is flat...and the guy who thinks he can jump from rooftop to rooftop while someone holds his beer may jump the chasms many times safely......it wont matter to them til things turn for some reason.

Same with the whole DS thing. The "millions of miles" and "empirical evidence" you talk about is only as accurate as what you can google or find on forums of people touting how they love saving money with car tires. And we already know that the web is full of "me too!" threads. hardly objective and empirical data based on scientific data. You have no way to know for sure HOW MANY actual individuals are posting "me too!" or of they had a crash a week later after they said it. Not everything gets to Google.

I do know that I have seen many folks on this forum say they have reverted back from the DS to a motorcycle tire because it just didnt handle right.

The other side of this, the side that matters a LOT in today's legal world, that the story mentions -- Insurance companies will look at ANYTHING that could have been at fault in an accident.....and seeing as the proper equipment on any vehicle comes into play as far as safety, it isn't a stretch to think that insurance companies could (and possibly have done already) see a car tire on a bike as an unsafe mod. And if that bike was in an accident, that would create issues.

Do you recall when Ford Explorers were "rolling over" on the highway and injuring people? Lawyers flocked on Firestone, blaming the tire. Whether that was truth or not, Firestone paid BIGTIME, simply for having that accusation. I personally owned the same tires with the same Explorer model and always drove it like I stole it...never rolled over even once, just like many others.....But apparently some did. I wouldnt call either side affirming substantive evidence.

In the end, run what ya feel most comfortable with.

But when I see DSers qualifying their 'I love them" posts by saying "It feels odd at first but you get used to it" and "You may also need to fight uneven roads a little harder" , well, that says a lot to me and is what is the biggest reason I have stayed away.....

If everyone said "Wow! A car tire handles just like a bike tire!" I'd bite. Because as I already admited, I am a cheap SOB. Why WOULDN'T I want to save big bucks on tires?

But when you have to "get used" to how the bike handles, that is a red flag to me. I know how my bike feels when the center patch gets flat on my rear tire. Feels much better when new and round, as designed. Could never see how trying to "force" a wide flat contact patch of a car tire into a leaning corner on a bike could be anything but sketchy.

My opinion is that folks' saving big money is clouding how they really feel about doing the DS. No one likes their decisions to be questionable ones. We tend to stick up for what we have decided until there is a point where we might be not 100% right.

But as with anything else, just my opinion and certainly not more right than any other.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Aw, now you had to go and stir up the Flat-Earthers!! DANG!!:surprise:
I put a car tire on the back of my 1800S (used an inner tube) almost 6yrs ago, and have gone thru 3 front tires before I got 1/2way thru the tread on the P205 6015 on the back; so there's that.

As for safety; I teach MSF course, so I'm well-versed in the safety aspects, rules, and risk assessment. The biggest safety PLUS I can think of on a VTX1800 is this: (Note, may not apply to all riders) When you speed-shift into 2nd WOT, the back end stays straight and true. When I tried that with stock motorcycle tire, the ass end would kick out to the side. A good friend (experienced rider) wanted to swap bikes, try the mighty 110ci. When he achieved the same results mentioned above, he let off, I caught up, and he said: :shock: "What the Hell was THAT!?!"

I haven't been able to convince him to try it again, since the car tire...>:)

Now, I will have to say, in deference to MC tires, sideloads, traction in turns, etc.; I would not run one on a crotch-rocket that is used for canyon-carving or road course. The contact patch at extreme lean angles will be better with MC tire in that case. The car tire works on a big cruiser/full dress long hauler so well because the floorboards scrape long before the tire reaches max lean angle.
And finally; what tires do they use on drag bikes?!?!
-Just sayin'...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Woot! Woot!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,285 Posts
Speaking directly to that point then. One cannot paint all applications with the same brush. Are car tires on a motorcycle (any motorcycle) as safe as a motorcycle tire? The empirical evidence here shows us that the answer top that would be a resounding NO! In cases like the VTX or GW or whatever, big heavy touring bikes, the difference in the safety of one over the other may be negligible. In other applications, like a sport bike which is regularly ridden to drag hard parts, engineering tells up that the difference becomes all the more apparent. Likely, there is absolutely nothing to be overly concerned about when using a car tire on a motorcycle in some applications, while in other applications the thought seems just silly. Most arguments about the safety of the practice (pro or con) don't take this into consideration and attempt to make their argument as a universal truth. While the article posted above is quite interesting and makes some great points, it again fails to look at the specifics of the application and generalizes.

I, personally, won't do it. But the facts are that for the many that do the practice has proven safe for them. My guess is because no one is putting car tires on a super sport bike and riding it to it's limit.

Reactions: JohnnieP3

·
Registered
5,065 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,285 Posts
Many good points Shadango. Again, from my perspective, on a big couch like mine, probably no big deal either way. Application makes a difference in this case.

Your point about insurance is bang on though. I will say this, and I'm praying I will never have to play this out. BUT, if me or mine were ever injured in any way by a motorcycle and that bike had a car tire on it, you need to know that my lawyer would also know about that. Similarly, it would surprise me to learn that any insurance company would not at least question a claim based on that.

Like you, I really don't concern myself with who wears what when they are riding. I have said many times I am not an All The Gear All The Time person. Most of the time I ride with sneakers, jeans, T-shirt, vest, helmet and shades. That then speaks to my safety and not the safety of those around me. Just as I would not ride with questionable brakes or even questionable tires, I simply can't bring myself to try DS. Those that choose to do so, all the power to you. I envy the cost savings on rubber. Just like I will not eat liver, I will not run a CT on my bike.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Just to add my .02c my 04 1800 had stock tires on it, now my 07 1800 has a 120.70.21 front tire and a 240.40.18 rear tire. The learning curve to ride was short but
necessary all the same. Uneven roads, turns, cornering are all different comparing my two bikes to each other. Like posted earlier, takes some getting used to. Which ever tire you run DS or MT ride safe and enjoy

·
Registered
5,065 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,197 Posts
Speaking directly to that point then. One cannot paint all applications with the same brush. Are car tires on a motorcycle (any motorcycle) as safe as a motorcycle tire? The empirical evidence here shows us that the answer top that would be a resounding NO! In cases like the VTX or GW or whatever, big heavy touring bikes, the difference in the safety of one over the other may be negligible. In other applications, like a sport bike which is regularly ridden to drag hard parts, engineering tells up that the difference becomes all the more apparent. Likely, there is absolutely nothing to be overly concerned about when using a car tire on a motorcycle in some applications, while in other applications the thought seems just silly. Most arguments about the safety of the practice (pro or con) don't take this into consideration and attempt to make their argument as a universal truth. While the article posted above is quite interesting and makes some great points, it again fails to look at the specifics of the application and generalizes.

I, personally, won't do it. But the facts are that for the many that do the practice has proven safe for them. My guess is because no one is putting car tires on a super sport bike and riding it to it's limit.

Exactly right Hark, and I neglected to mention that by "motorcycles" I was referring to touring bikes, and not sport bikes. I'm out of practice, it's been quite awhile since we've had a good darkside debate. Thanks for keeping me honest.

·
Premium Member
9,285 Posts
Exactly right Hark, and I neglected to mention that by "motorcycles" I was referring to touring bikes, and not sport bikes. I'm out of practice, it's been quite awhile since we've had a good darkside debate. Thanks for keeping me honest.
Anytime my brother.:smile2:

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.