Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got started on my Foot's Mod combined with installation of Papa's Down Under Bracket.

Just a few notes as an aside to the many notes that are already out there related to both these mods:

1. If you have V&H Bigshots, you're gonna have to remove the pipes to remove the rear wheel :twisted:
  2. I did not have to deflate the 200mm tire (Metz) to get it installed. I just had to jack the bike up a little higher!

I mocked it up tonight (still not done with the caliper relocation), and it looks really good. Any pictures you see of the Foot's Mod don't do it justice. This is the way it shoulda been from Honda.

I will post some pics when I get it all done. I have yet to decide if I'll embark on straightening the fender during this round, or if I'll do it later. :dontknow:

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
You DO NOT have to remove the pipes to take off the wheel. Pull your shocks and raise the swingarm all the way up, or let it all the way down.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good point, boys. I didn't really consider popping the shocks. I guess I figured that having the pipes off the bike while installing the down under bracket would make it a little easier, so I didn't really look any further.

Besides, I still have 2 exhaust gaskets kickin' around!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Sounds awesome man. Looking forward to seeing it in person.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I got this project all buttoned up and it looks great! Sorry no pics yet.. camera batter was dead. I'll get 'em up when I can.

I do have a problem though. I have 7º triple trees (Mortons) and 11.5" shocks, but I think the bigger rear wheel has thrown my geometry out of whack. The steering felt very twitchy up around 100km/h, and real sketchy at 120km/h. I think I need to lower the rear end a little more... or order a 21" front wheel!

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Well, I got this project all buttoned up and it looks great! Sorry no pics yet.. camera batter was dead. I'll get 'em up when I can.

I do have a problem though. I have 7º triple trees (Mortons) and 11.5" shocks, but I think the bigger rear wheel has thrown my geometry out of whack. The steering felt very twitchy up around 100km/h, and real sketchy at 120km/h. I think I need to lower the rear end a little more... or order a 21" front wheel!
????

200/60-16 = 25.45" diameter
170/80-15 = 25.71" diameter
180/70-16 = 25.92" diameter

·
Registered
80 Posts
Glad to hear you got that project up and running... it's just one more step.. but a damn nice one. Cannot wait to see that in person buddy.

Tim

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey DC,

I hear ya about the wheel/tire diameters. I stood them next to each other and they're very close to the same size (as you pointed out), but something is different, or I'm just noticing it because I was on a test ride (?).

I'm gonna go over her again, and test it again.

Or maybe I tell my wife that I need the Pro Street Kit for safety reasons! I'd better tell her with my helmet on!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haven't had a chance to ride her again yet, but here are some pics:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
You DO NOT have to remove the pipes to take off the wheel. Pull your shocks and raise the swingarm all the way up, or let it all the way down.

DUH, the easiest way to hide something is out in the open..Me, been dropping pipes all these years and never thoguht of it..

THANKS.. ( and I consider myself a fairly decent backyard mechanic - NO COMMENTS necessary):tools:

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Haven't had a chance to ride her again yet, but here are some pics:

What length shocks are you running? Sorta looks like 11.5's in the pic? If so have you thought about going down to 11's?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm considering that very thing DC. Thanks for your input. (Good eye, BTW, those are 11.5's on there!)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts