Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
about my most recent motorcycle trip highlights....
A 17 year old grandson and I rode 2,143 miles last week.
On our way up to Idaho we went through Great Basin National Park in Nevada where we reach very high altitude with gorgeous scenery, we were close to the top of a 13,063-foot mountain although I did not see the elevation sign at the summit of the road, I think that road goes up to over 10,000 feet. After the summit we went all downhill for 40? minutes to get to 6,000 ft.
About an hour later and after dark in the rain in northern Nevada we ended up on a detour/shortcut the GPS routed, where we had a terrible 13 miles. It was very dark and with the rain poor visibility, and what started out as 6 miles of dirt washboard with cattle-guards about every mile or less and then turned to 7 miles more of up down winding road with thick slimy mud! That was not fun on my heavy VTX 1300 which was loaded heavy. Most of the time both tires were sliding and at one point the bike started fishtailing badly (full cross-up to full cross-up 6 or 7 times) and caught a rut that shot me off the road into the ditch where I did basically a stoppie about 5 feet from a barbwire fence. Surprisingly, I stayed up and was able to ride it out of the ditch too. I think my 200 wide rear tire is a bad choice for mud, as it seems like it wants to float and the traed pattern is NO good for mud.

The route we took had no gas for more miles than the range of the motorcycles, so we had to use the spare 2 gallons I had along. We got to the gas station with about ½ gallon left in each bike.

It was a good day in the end because we arrived safely at a motel. We continued on to Idaho the next day and had no further issues for the rest of the trip.

We did have a great time. We had "Sena" helmet to helmet communication up to 1/3 mile apart which was great but, when it got cold the grandson kept saying he was freezing every 30 seconds or so I told him just think about something else. It may have been in the high thirties at the coldest, nothing to whine about in my opinion. I have ridden in much colder weather and didn't think it was too bad at all, I enjoyed it all (except the thirteen-mile part). We had on similar gear on and I found it odd because he likes the Idaho winters. He didn't even mind working on his Suburban in the snow.
My Sena comms battery went dead when he was complaining about freezing and I was kind of glad at that point but, then we didn't have comms on the thirteen mile "shortcut" which would have been a good thing to have.
The Sena units are about eleven years old and use to have about a 10 hour+ battery life and now last 6-9 depending on how much we talk or listen to Bluetooth music from the phones.
My Sena helmet mounting bracket broke on the last day so, we couldn't communicate on the last day.
I will have to fix or replace the Sena right away for my wife and I to have when we go on rides.

It was a memorable ride for sure.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Awesome post. Thanks and you and your grandson have some great bonding time and memories. Glad you had that opportunity. What bike does your grandson have?

·
Registered
885 Posts
What? NO pictures!!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome post. Thanks and you and your grandson have some great bonding time and memories. Glad you had that opportunity. What bike does your grandson have?
He has my original VTX1300 that I sold him after swapping my stuff to my new to me VTX1300 to regain 3rd and 4th gears. I think that one has over 20,000 miles on it since I lost 3rd and 4th gears. I still occasionally shift from 2nd to 5th, LOL

Here is a pic of both together.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Nice trip nice story, the trips with bad weather and adventures are the one you cherish the most.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice trip nice story, the trips with bad weather and adventures are the one you cherish the most.
Neither my grandson or I mind riding in rain on pavement but the MUD road was too intense for both of us to cherish on the VTX's. In the end it was good because we got through safe though. The VTX is not a light weight dirt bike:rolleyes:, which would be fun in the same muddy circumstances.

·
Registered
221 Posts
dangrousdan,
Thanks for sharing your ride story with all of us. What a great ride, especially getting to share it with your grandson.
I love the long trips I have taken on my VTX. I have been through almost every state east of the Mississippi and have seen some of the most beautiful country on my travels.
It does my heart good to hear stories of others who enjoy their VTX as much as I do.

Reactions: SUMDATX

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
You helped immortalize yourself, at least in the memory of your Grandson. ; )

My Grandfather rode a Harley, but that was before I was born, so I have no memories of riding with him ((sniff)).

Glad you made it through the mud challenge with out doing harm to body or bike. These are the things you curse when they're happening to you, but become golden 'war' stories to pass on.

Thanks for sharing.

(y)

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You helped immortalize yourself, at least in the memory of your Grandson. ; )

My Grandfather rode a Harley, but that was before I was born, so I have no memories of riding with him ((sniff)).

Glad you made it through the mud challenge with out doing harm to body or bike. These are the things you curse when they're happening to you, but become golden 'war' stories to pass on.

Thanks for sharing.

(y)
My Great Grandfather owned an Indian and then my Grandfather owned a Harley Davidson my Dad owned motorcycles my Son has owned several and owns one currently. I have two Grandsons that ride One sold his because he is in college and doesn't have time to ride, and then the other bought my old VTX. You could say it is in our bloodline!

·
Registered
81 Posts
about my most recent motorcycle trip highlights....
A 17 year old grandson and I rode 2,143 miles last week.
On our way up to Idaho we went through Great Basin National Park in Nevada where we reach very high altitude with gorgeous scenery, we were close to the top of a 13,063-foot mountain although I did not see the elevation sign at the summit of the road, I think that road goes up to over 10,000 feet. After the summit we went all downhill for 40? minutes to get to 6,000 ft.
About an hour later and after dark in the rain in northern Nevada we ended up on a detour/shortcut the GPS routed, where we had a terrible 13 miles. It was very dark and with the rain poor visibility, and what started out as 6 miles of dirt washboard with cattle-guards about every mile or less and then turned to 7 miles more of up down winding road with thick slimy mud! That was not fun on my heavy VTX 1300 which was loaded heavy. Most of the time both tires were sliding and at one point the bike started fishtailing badly (full cross-up to full cross-up 6 or 7 times) and caught a rut that shot me off the road into the ditch where I did basically a stoppie about 5 feet from a barbwire fence. Surprisingly, I stayed up and was able to ride it out of the ditch too. I think my 200 wide rear tire is a bad choice for mud, as it seems like it wants to float and the traed pattern is NO good for mud.

The route we took had no gas for more miles than the range of the motorcycles, so we had to use the spare 2 gallons I had along. We got to the gas station with about ½ gallon left in each bike.

It was a good day in the end because we arrived safely at a motel. We continued on to Idaho the next day and had no further issues for the rest of the trip.

We did have a great time. We had "Sena" helmet to helmet communication up to 1/3 mile apart which was great but, when it got cold the grandson kept saying he was freezing every 30 seconds or so I told him just think about something else. It may have been in the high thirties at the coldest, nothing to whine about in my opinion. I have ridden in much colder weather and didn't think it was too bad at all, I enjoyed it all (except the thirteen-mile part). We had on similar gear on and I found it odd because he likes the Idaho winters. He didn't even mind working on his Suburban in the snow.
My Sena comms battery went dead when he was complaining about freezing and I was kind of glad at that point but, then we didn't have comms on the thirteen mile "shortcut" which would have been a good thing to have.
The Sena units are about eleven years old and use to have about a 10 hour+ battery life and now last 6-9 depending on how much we talk or listen to Bluetooth music from the phones.
My Sena helmet mounting bracket broke on the last day so, we couldn't communicate on the last day.
I will have to fix or replace the Sena right away for my wife and I to have when we go on rides.

It was a memorable ride for sure.
Nice ride, I just got off a 1500 mile ride myself, It was awesome that your grandson was able to ride with you. Memories to cherished for sure.

·
Registered
11,714 Posts
Good to see father, son/grandson on a ride together. More pix needed.
All good except the off road adventure.
What about losing the 3rd/4th gear???

I gave my son a 1200 Sportster after he graduated from college.
We were able to make many rides and memories together.
He adopted a family three years ago,therefore MC riding has slacked off.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1. Good to see father, son/grandson on a ride together. 2. More pix needed.
3. All good except the off road adventure.
4. What about losing the 3rd/4th gear???

I gave my son a 1200 Sportster after he graduated from college.
We were able to make many rides and memories together.
He adopted a family three years ago,therefore MC riding has slacked off.
1. Thanks
2. I didn't take time to remove my gloves and dig my phone out for pics. When my grandson sends me pics I will try to get them posted.
3. Agreed.
4. I have lost gears in about 30% of the motorcycles I have owned so acknowledge my hard riding/shifting is hard on them. I lost 3rd after racing my son's bike, I was on his and HE was riding the VTX and "missed the shift" and it just stopped working. When we raced I won even when we switched bikes and I rode his HD Dyna. Then about 6 months later it started popping out of 4th under power, it will still shift to 4th but will not stay in if any throttle is given. Since transmission work requires a complete tear-down and it will go 55mph+ when needed in 2nd and 5th still works, I just kept riding it. 3rd and 4th are mostly "needed/missed" when riding in the twisties and mountains. It is amazing how a person can get so use to skipping two gears without thinking about it. I had to retrain myself to use all the gears since getting my new to me 05 VTX1300. My grandson plans on a salvage motor/transmission when he gets around to it but is so used to skipping shifts that it isn't urgent now. Between me and then him we have put over 30,000 miles (me around 22,000+ and him 8,000+ now) on it since the gears went out with the 3 gears it has left.
For me it was easier to just switch the tins and all the other custom stuff than to fix the transmission and when I found this one for $2,000 it was a no-brainer. My plan was to switch everything over and to sell off the original for $800 to $1000 with all stock parts but then I was convinced to sell it to him and sold it to him with all the extra custom stuff I had and wasn't using for $600. I tell him I gave him a great deal on a bunch of custom parts and he got the VTX for free. It had just been painted that blue right before I bought it and although it is not a perfect paint job looks real good.

·
Registered
11,714 Posts
You must not be using an ignition kill switch during your shifting.
Beating up on those dogs!

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You must not be using an ignition kill switch during your shifting.
Beating up on those dogs!
LOL, you're right, I never have used an ignition kill switch during my shifting. The thought never entered my mind. I do use the clutch... most of the time :p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts