Honda VTX Forum banner

41 - 60 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
You may already know this stuff, just in case.

Be sure to follow the torque specs on bolts for pipes, so you don't break off the header bolts. You may want to put some washers under the acorn nuts on header bolts or just replace acorn nuts with regular nuts.

Use new header gaskets, don't reuse the old ones. After you ride for about 100 miles torque the bolts to spec again. I learned this from the awesome guys on this site.
Yes, if I recall there's not much torque to them......16 ftlbs? If I'm right that's not much. I have both the Clyman and Honda shop manuals. Lot of info there I'll never use, but heck, the info you can get out of just a few pages! I'm going to go with open nuts. It's easier all around I think.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Really curious what you mean by this. Sounds like pure wisdom, but being new to all this can you expand on that please, I want to learn! Thanks, Rog
Haven't been back to this post in a while. My point was simple...the VTX 1300 is not a high end highway bike or a Harley or a sport bike. But what it does it does well. I love to take mine out for a cruise in the country. It rides well, handles well, looks great and has a great sound. It does exactly what it was designed to do. When I hear complaints about the VTX it's always someone saying that it doesn't handle well enough, isn't fast enough...etc. Learn to love what it does well...after twelve years my VTX still has a special place in the garage.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
But what it does it does well. I love to take mine out for a cruise in the country. It rides well, handles well, looks great and has a great sound. It does exactly what it was designed to do.
Bingo! That's my purpose for my VTX. A ride in the country now and then and maybe after the ride, sit and look at it and say to myself what beautiful bike, and see if there's any way I can improve it. I don't have an ego and don't need to prove anything to anybody except myself! It's for me, myself and I.

Thanks for checking back! Rog~

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
My next project is to put a chrome grill on the radiator, do something with the horn, put on new rotors and pads, install the new exhaust system, do the PAIR removal........I'll be busy.

Its really unlikely that you need rotors.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
After the 3000 grit sanding of the wheels, I took Diamond Polish to them along with a polishing cone in a drill. The results are stunning. The wheels look chromed. I debated I was going to do this, but am very happy I did. Now I have to sand/polish the fork lowers to match.

I also ran to NAPA to day to get some supplies for the upcoming mechanical work to be done. Next will be brake caliper cleaning and pad replacement and the PAIR mod. But for now, have a peek at my new wheels.....

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Its really unlikely that you need rotors.
You may be right Donnie. The front is in pretty good shape but the rear has some ridges forming. This is my first bike and in all likelihood my last. That being said, I'm going to make it as close to new as I can. Foolish? Maybe. But it's my bike. I'm having fun. That's all that matters.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Your projects are producing shiny outcomes! Can't wait to see the final product, Rog!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)
If you choose to remove the tank full of 1\2 full, that's your choice. Here's the smart choice, drain and remove. My L5 and L4 are thanking me! It's that simple. PAIR removed. I picked up my wheels with the Mich Com 2's under pressure. It's way too cold to work today. It's only 25 degrees. I had hoped to get the wheels on, brakes bled and maybe even the Cobra pipes on this weekend. Not happening. It will warm up to the 40's Monday after some snow and maybe next week get this all done.

Yesterday over the lunch hour I got my MC Permit so I'm legal to some extent. The safety course comes later this summer. I want some time on this bike first in a parking lot of my choice.

My dream has always been a chopper of some sort. When I see what can be done with these VTX's and a new tree and fat tire kit.......I smile!

I'm absolutely loving my time with wrench in hand. We'll see what the summer brings.

41 - 60 of 129 Posts