Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Garage door broke this morning. The torsion spring broke. I need to get another garage door anyway but meantime the bikes are stuck in there. Can the door still open manually? I couldn't get it to pull up but didn't want to break anything else either. 20yr old wooden door. May not have used enough force. Yes the puller was disengaged.

·
Registered
790 Posts
raising it will not hurt it. It might hurt you. They are very heavy. You need to have the right tools to raise it safely.
If you are going to replace the door, you can remove it from the tracks one section at a time if it is a stacked door.

If you are not sure how to do the job safely, leave it to the pros.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I know the feeling. I just had my driveway concreted and my bike is stuck. Gonna try to squeeze it out the service door tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I had to have new springs installed last year and it cost about $200. Plenty of people are killed every year trying to change their own springs to save a few labor dollars.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Mine broke several years ago but with the help of a buddy we got it up. Once it was up we had to use a 2X4 brace on both ends, 16 foot door I think, to keep it there. We didn't hurt anything but man was it heavy. Mine had the older type of springs on it (only one broke) so I just did the work myself and replaced both of them along with the cables and hardware.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the b-day shout edgee. The thought of DIY crossed my mind for about 45 seconds. Thought of ordering parts my self and having installed. Checking prices and I may as well get it all done by a pro for 5-700 with guarantee. Meanwhile looks like 1 and a half - 2 weeks before I really can make a move. Could probably get some buddies to help take the door off but it ain't that serious yet and I got too much decent chit in the garage to fit in the shed. Guess I'll be burning yalls ears for a little while. Let it rain, let it rain, let it rain. Get it all out the way!!!:joke::joke::joke:

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I had a spring break 3 mos. ago. When it broke the peice let go and went flying, hit the washer at the far end of the garage, pretty good little dent in it, you bet they can kill you ! You should be able to get it open, but once I did that , if I were you would be to leave it open. Just lock the bikes up as best you can. I would get it fixed, not a smart thing to be putting up and down with just one spring, other one could break as well, be carefull, Smitt

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Garage door springs

My garage door springs broke a couple years ago.
The wife hit the automatic opener as I lifted, to open it back up.
(Aluminum door.)
I went to Lowes and bought a couple of the old garage door style extension springs,The kind that have the cables run to them,some cable, pullys and clamps .
Installed them myself and only cost me about $60.00
Works fine.
Good luck.

Not my garage but you get the idea.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I had to have new springs installed last year and it cost about $200. Plenty of people are killed every year trying to change their own springs to save a few labor dollars.
Yup - there is a valid reason why the manufacturers suggest using 2 rods to apply the tension. One to control and one to apply torque. I saw a buddy of mine get slapped off of an 8 ft step ladder after he ignored my advice - lucky he only ended up with a broken jaw

The torsion spring is the horizontal one across the width of the door. It gives the initial lifting assistance. There is a left and a right spring each with a locking cap on the outside. In the center there is an adjustment cam with 4 holes to accept a 3/8" - 5/8" rod (tire iron works good) and a set bolt. Put the iron in the top hole and pull it 180 degrees. put the second iron in the hole that is now at the top and let it rest against the door header. Take the first one out and using the second go another 180 and put the free iron back in the top hole. This way you prevent the spring from total release if one of the irons should come loose (slip out of the hole). You will be amazed at the energy release should it happen to you.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I really appreciate all the safety concerns. If DIY people say don't try this yourself, I'm gonna listen. When I get off work in the morning I'll try to get the sport bike out through the side door. I'm thinking the X's bars or engine guards are too wide for that regular size door. Plus I know the X will bottom out on the little step. Will check my homeowners insurance also. The wife and insurance will want to try to fix the broken part. I know we need a new door and that would come with new rails, springs and all. Guess I see an argument coming.

·
Super Moderator
63,569 Posts
Yep, while a paramedic we went to a garage with a guy that had no skin from his elbow down and no hand on the end. The cable wrapped around his arm, peeled the skin off and grabbed the wrist. Medical term is "Degloving" and it's not pretty

·
Mad Hatter
21,303 Posts
Yep, while a paramedic we went to a garage with a guy that had no skin from his elbow down and no hand on the end. The cable wrapped around his arm, peeled the skin off and grabbed the wrist. Medical term is "Degloving" and it's not pretty

Damn spike, I did not need that visual :yikes::yikes:

·
3,915 Posts

Plus one get a pro to do it. I tried to replace one about 25 years ago and came within a half an inch from loosing both my hands when that biotch spring decided to unload. scared me Sheet-less

·
3,915 Posts
I really appreciate all the safety concerns. If DIY people say don't try this yourself, I'm gonna listen. When I get off work in the morning I'll try to get the sport bike out through the side door. I'm thinking the X's bars or engine guards are too wide for that regular size door. Plus I know the X will bottom out on the little step. Will check my homeowners insurance also. The wife and insurance will want to try to fix the broken part. I know we need a new door and that would come with new rails, springs and all. Guess I see an argument coming.
I doubt your insurance will cover but, maybe. As far as your wife tell her that door is dangerous and not replacing it will put her kids in danger of a serious accident if an adult is not around... whew you sure don't want that to happen now do ya hon?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Mine went a few years ago, with a loud bang. Scared the ***** out of me. I had a service guy replace both sides(they refuse to do just one, plus they come as a set I think) while I watched. He used those rods while counting the times he twisted and watching the white marks on the springs to make sure they were even. Doesn't look complicated, as it is similar to some things I worked on in the Navy, but I know better than to try doing it myself. Leave it to the pro's. And it only cost me about $250. says it should last about 7 years average.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not sure how or when it happened. I went out Thursday night and came in through the garage at about 1:30am. The wife was going to work at 4:00 Friday morning. She woke me up and said, "Come see what's wrong with this garage, the door won't open." I pushed the button and it only opened about 10". Later in the day she asked me if I ran into it when I came home. I told her I don't think so? lol. I'm sure I didn't hit the door. She didn't mention any big pop or noise out of the ordinary. Glad it was one of those instead of the bad mishap kinds.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts