Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks to me like you got a pretty good deal on that bike. She looks good too. You are going to appreciate that Mustang seat overt the stocker. The stock seats on these bikes were pretty bad for most people.

Keep a close eye on those tires. Even stored for 4-5 years they get old and hard. They will start to degrade over time. I can't stress how important reliable tires are on a bike. Most importantly Brian, ride safe and enjoy the many many years of enjoyment these bikes can offer. If your youngun is keen on going for a ride, I can highly recommend spending as much time on the bike together as possible. When the youngster is old enough, you may have a riding partner on their own bike. My son and I have been riding together now since he was 9 (so 11 years now), and on his own bike for the last 2 years. It's time together I would not give up for anything.
Hello,
be careful with the tires when I bought my VTX 1800 the tires were a bit old, in each roundabout at acceleration I had small slips, the engine has a lot of torque and that does not really forgive.
I quickly changed the 2 tires

good road (y)(y)(y)

translation by google
Check the DOT date code on the tire.
Anything over 5-6 years should be replaced.
week/year 23/14 = 23rd week/ 2014
1300 medium power, 1800 is high power!

Add additional lighting to be seen! Safety...
I checked out the date on my tires and it looks like I’ll be adding new tires to the list of stuff to get. The date on the back one is 1013. It has a lot of tread but man that’s an old tire. I’m going to get the size and shop around for the best price. Does everyone have a favorite place to buy tires online?

I moved this thread from New Member Introductions. I hope that’s ok. Here is the link New member from PA if anyone is interested in reading back.

·
Premium Member
5,635 Posts
I checked out the date on my tires and it looks like I’ll be adding new tires to the list of stuff to get. The date on the back one is 1013. It has a lot of tread but man that’s an old tire. I’m going to get the size and shop around for the best price. Does everyone have a favorite place to buy tires online?

I moved this thread from New Member Introductions. I hope that’s ok. Here is the link New member from PA if anyone is interested in reading back.
I tend to avoid getting tires online. I know others do it, but here's my reasoning.

1) I can generally negotiate a bit better price by letting a local shop know I can buy the ire for $xxx.xx online. Most of the time they will try to work with you. It generally isn't even that much of a difference, to be honest, especially if you wait for the local shop to run a sale. If you went now and asked for the spring sale price, they'll likely work with you.

2) You generally will pay less for installation. A small added bonus.

3) And this is the big one. If you have any issues at all, like balancing problems, carcass separation, previously unseen blemishes, or even anything that would preclude safe installation, like a bead deformation or something. This is all covered by the guy you buy it from, and because he's installing it, any issues go right back to him. He should make it right. If you buy online and have an issue, you pay first for the installation, then the removal, then the return freight, then the replacement freight, and then re-installation. Just one problem in a lifetime could negate all of the money saved in the life of the bike, and never mind that you are without a bike while waiting for shipping and stuff.

I am a firm believer in supporting local businesses, even if the initial cost is a bit higher, and that's because when things go bad, I can look the seller in the eye and make demands. Diplomatically of course, but a quality business will always extend service to make it right. Befriend a local shop you can trust, it's worth it. JMHO

·
Registered
10,980 Posts
I Googled "motorcycle tires"
j&pcycles, bikebandit, cyclegear, denniskirk, rockymtnatv, plus more. These are common ones. Once in awhile I order through the local independent shop that mounts my tires.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello,
we in France stores refuse to mount anything if not buy in the store.
personally I buy on the net what I can do myself otherwise I buy in store, in addition the net does not offer as little small service as the small local store.
have a good trip and warm weather

traduction by google

·
Registered
735 Posts
I tend to avoid getting tires online. I know others do it, but here's my reasoning.

1) I can generally negotiate a bit better price by letting a local shop know I can buy the ire for $xxx.xx online. Most of the time they will try to work with you. It generally isn't even that much of a difference, to be honest, especially if you wait for the local shop to run a sale. If you went now and asked for the spring sale price, they'll likely work with you.

2) You generally will pay less for installation. A small added bonus.

3) And this is the big one. If you have any issues at all, like balancing problems, carcass separation, previously unseen blemishes, or even anything that would preclude safe installation, like a bead deformation or something. This is all covered by the guy you buy it from, and because he's installing it, any issues go right back to him. He should make it right. If you buy online and have an issue, you pay first for the installation, then the removal, then the return freight, then the replacement freight, and then re-installation. Just one problem in a lifetime could negate all of the money saved in the life of the bike, and never mind that you are without a bike while waiting for shipping and stuff.

I am a firm believer in supporting local businesses, even if the initial cost is a bit higher, and that's because when things go bad, I can look the seller in the eye and make demands. Diplomatically of course, but a quality business will always extend service to make it right. Befriend a local shop you can trust, it's worth it. JMHO

I tried negotiating this way with my local shop. I showed him the price on Fortnine.ca for the tires I wanted. He told me to buy them and he'd install them, and it would still be less than what he could do before installation.

·
Premium Member
5,635 Posts
I tried negotiating this way with my local shop. I showed him the price on Fortnine.ca for the tires I wanted. He told me to buy them and he'd install them, and it would still be less than what he could do before installation.
Unfortunate. Some work harder than others, I guess. Either way, the cost savings is in the tank if there's ever a problem. But that's the gamble.

Here in Calgary, Universal Cycle has great sale deals, and Blackfoot Cycle will shoot to price match. Not all do, so those are my go-to tire guys. I like Universal because it is a smaller shop that offers great expertise and great service. Blackfoot is a lot bigger and tend to be a little more hit and miss. It really helps to have a relationship with a person at the location. Even just so that they know who you are and want your business.

·
Old Goat
24,413 Posts
Glad u folks have locals u can support...the mom and pops close to me dont sell tires(they will mount and I support that) and I dont/wont deal with cycle gear....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts