Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
12,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently, an exhaust system can be worn out! :yikes: It wasn't a matter of if, but when. Unfortunately, HK won't do a thing about it, and it cannot be ridden in this state. With the heatshield completely severed all the way around, there is too much play in the pipes, so I cannot risk damage to the heads. Not only do I have to figure out what pipes to go with now, but I have to figure out a way to come up with the money! :( And my riding season was just getting started. :mrgreen:

I'm more concerned about letting others know about Hard Krome's quality and lack of support, so no one else has to go through this.

The completely severed pipe is my original rear pipe, and the cracked one is my second front pipe.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
thats a bunch of crap. good heads up about hk

where is the wig:mrgreen:

·
Registered
12,797 Posts
Amazing. Could they possibly be welded to at least get you through until a more permanent solution can be found? :dontknow:

·
Registered
12,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I shaved my head in disgust! :mrgreen:

Yes, I could get it welded...of course, it would look like crap, but it would be functional. I could get both of them properly welded and then ceramic coat them, but I don't know how much that would cost and what it would look like. Most people know me as The Anti-Black! :lol:

I may go talk to a guy who has a custom m/c shop near my house, and find out if he could make me what I really want...Doolies! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I might be able to do some bartering with him!

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
Hard Krome and Roadburner appear to be part of the same company.
only 90 day warranty on pipes with 1 year on discoloring.

I called roadburner after my Blackhawk double Eagles discolored severely after just a couple of months. (Put on in December '08 and discolored badly by March '09 and keeps getting worse)

They told me the only thing they would do for me would to recoat the pipes. It was going to cost me shipping both ways and $175 for the recoat.

Their warranty should read,
"Should your outer pipe discolor, Contact us here at RoadBurner so we can laugh our ass off at you.
We will make a feeble attempt to correct the issue should you decide to send a lot more money and be without your exhaust for 3 to 6 months.
Please note that giving us even more money will not prevent your exhaust from discoloring again.
If you do not like the warranty terms then you can go pound sand up your butt using the exhaust as a funnel.
Here at Roadburner, we put a lot of effort at designing the best looking and sounding exhaust for your motorcycle that should last at least one trip around the block."

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I had a similar issue and found the root cause was one slightly loose upper bolt on the large exhaust support bracket. The other lower bolt was so tight it couldn't be tightened any more but the top bolt was just tight enough (not really loose) to allow the bracket to move up and down about 1/2" with a few pounds of pressure. Loose enough that road bounces are going to allow the exhaust to flex.

Roadhouse replaced them free but in the process I found the root cause.

This is the bolt that was not fully tightened. Lower bolt was very tight. The full weight of the exhaust is supported by that bracket.

·
Registered
12,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hard Krome and Roadburner appear to be part of the same company.
only 90 day warranty on pipes with 1 year on discoloring.

I called roadburner after my Blackhawk double Eagles discolored severely after just a couple of months. (Put on in December '08 and discolored badly by March '09 and keeps getting worse)

They told me the only thing they would do for me would to recoat the pipes. It was going to cost me shipping both ways and $175 for the recoat.

Their warranty should read,
"Should your outer pipe discolor, Contact us here at RoadBurner so we can laugh our ass off at you.
We will make a feeble attempt to correct the issue should you decide to send a lot more money and be without your exhaust for 3 to 6 months.
Please note that giving us even more money will not prevent your exhaust from discoloring again.
If you do not like the warranty terms then you can go pound sand up your butt using the exhaust as a funnel.
Here at Roadburner, we put a lot of effort at designing the best looking and sounding exhaust for your motorcycle that should last at least one trip around the block."
:lol: Yes, I knew about their warranty, but I would've expected the exhaust to last longer than it did.

Looks like I should start saving up for a new exhaust. Thanks for the warning, but it sucks that happened though. Good luck getting back on the road.
It hasn't happened to everyone who owns a Hard Krome exhaust system, but it's happened to enough owners to raise a huge red flag for future buyers.

That's aweful! Maybe someone can swing you a deal on something... It is the holidays after all.
I really was after the Doolies, especially when they went on a deep discount, but I still couldn't afford $550. I'll weigh all my options and see what I can do.

can you put your stock ones back on for now?
Stock ones were sold a long time ago, but I don't think I'd like to go that route anyway. I'm not even sure if they'd fit with my bags, and the thought of losing power would make me sit longer to get something other than stock pipes.

I had a similar issue and found the root cause was one slightly loose upper bolt on the large exhaust support bracket. The other lower bolt was so tight it couldn't be tightened any more but the top bolt was just tight enough (not really loose) to allow the bracket to move up and down about 1/2" with a few pounds of pressure. Loose enough that road bounces are going to allow the exhaust to flex.

Roadhouse replaced them free but in the process I found the root cause.

This is the bolt that was not fully tightened. Lower bolt was very tight. The full weight of the exhaust is supported by that bracket.
Early on, I actually lost one of those bolts. But it was replaced and I made sure they were put on with red loctite. All of the bolts are tight.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Hate to hear this, post up on the local board, I'm sure someone has some stock pipes that could get you through until you could get what you really want. :dontknow:

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Just wind some muffler tape around it. At least it'll keep it together for awhile....

...I'm SERIOUS nojoke

·
Registered
12,473 Posts
Early on, I actually lost one of those bolts. But it was replaced and I made sure they were put on with red loctite. All of the bolts are tight.
Do you know how long you were without that bolt?

Coul be it was just long enough to start the problem... or not ... I have read other threads complaining about HK quality and service.

·
Registered
12,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do you have K2s? Hamph
Yes, those are the K-2s.

Hate to hear this, post up on the local board, I'm sure someone has some stock pipes that could get you through until you could get what you really want. :dontknow:
Look at my last post above, old timer! :mrgreen:

Just wind some muffler tape around it. At least it'll keep it together for awhile....

...I'm SERIOUS nojoke
I'm not sure that would give it enough support. If I take both sides of that break and wiggle it, the entire exhaust as a whole flexes a little...even at the heads.

Do you know how long you were without that bolt?

Coul be it was just long enough to start the problem... or not ... I have read other threads complaining about HK quality and service.
It wasn't very long, and that was before I purchased the second front pipe...which is cracking in the exact same spot.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I had my hk 2.5 american straights crack also, and got no help from them fixing it. I just traded the bike in on a new ultra.

·
Registered
12,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had my hk 2.5 american straights crack also, and got no help from them fixing it. I just traded the bike in on a new ultra.
I already have an Ultra...well, my wife does! :mrgreen: Maybe it's time to move up! :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 188 Posts