Honda VTX Forum banner

181 - 188 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
12,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
I don't come here much anymore, but got a notice about this thread and just want to add me and my VTX are still going. I retired from my retail job about two years ago, so now I can have a beard. :grin2:

My bread is trimmed back to 1 1/2" for summer now the pic of it longer was 3-4 months ago. I hope all that have problems are able to get back on the road and be safe out there!
Good to see you still around...do you still have your X?

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Good to see you still around...do you still have your X?

Yes and I need to ride more, but I seem to wait for the wife to be free to go along too much. I enjoy it more with her along but she stays too busy with the kids, grandkids and even with helping out my parents, all good things that I won't complain about or want her to quit doing. My local riding buddies have moved or no longer ride.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My HK 2.5" were blatty, I added my version of a lollipop, it sounds good to me.
Several times I welded the brackets. One weld(scar) on the bottom pipe heat shield.
If it ever breaks I will have staggered pipes. 180k miles on them.

10 year old thread!
Can you give a little more information on "your version of lollipop".

·
Registered
240 Posts
I had hk3s that did the exact same thing! I called them and they basically told me i was s.o.l. so i custom made a set using the stock flanges. I would never reccomend hard krome to any one.

·
Registered
945 Posts
So what do you guys feel are the best aftermarket pipes.I think mine are hard chrome too. I had the heat shields re-welded. They started rattling and discovered some of the skimpy tach welds broke. That was 3 years ago. Gotta have a plan.

Reactions: MR VTX

·
Registered
28,619 Posts
So what do you guys feel are the best aftermarket pipes.I think mine are hard chrome too. I had the heat shields re-welded. They started rattling and discovered some of the skimpy tach welds broke. That was 3 years ago. Gotta have a plan.

I've had Cobra's on my bikes since '05.
Lifetime warranty, (They were when I bought them so I assume that's still their warranty).

I had put Cobra Streetrod Slashdowns on my 07 1300 S at about 4K miles.

Apparently, I neglected to put the lock washer under the rear mounting bolt.

At 102K, the weight of the pipes caused a split where they connected to the crossover.
Called Cobra, they said send it to them & they'd replace it,

Turns out I had it welded, that was cheaper than shipping it back.

·
Registered
104 Posts
V&H big shots and stock pipes

Apparently, an exhaust system can be worn out! :yikes: It wasn't a matter of if, but when. Unfortunately, HK won't do a thing about it, and it cannot be ridden in this state. With the heatshield completely severed all the way around, there is too much play in the pipes, so I cannot risk damage to the heads. Not only do I have to figure out what pipes to go with now, but I have to figure out a way to come up with the money! :( And my riding season was just getting started. :mrgreen:

I'm more concerned about letting others know about Hard Krome's quality and lack of support, so no one else has to go through this.

The completely severed pipe is my original rear pipe, and the cracked one is my second front pipe.

I have these pipes sitting in my garage. the v&h are scratched up a bit so I'll sell them for $250.00 and the stock pipes I'd give to a good home.

·
Registered
12,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
After these broke, I installed the Vance & Hines Bigshots and really liked them. But then I had the chance of a lifetime to buy brand new Roadhouse Dooleys, so I jumped on those and have been running them several years now. I’ve heard good reviews from Cobra owners, too.

I have these pipes sitting in my garage. the v&h are scratched up a bit so I'll sell them for $250.00 and the stock pipes I'd give to a good home.
Thanks for the offer, but I’m all set with the Dooleys I have now (signature pic below).

181 - 188 of 188 Posts