Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Man that blows...sorry to hear the bad news. How far down the pipes are they cracked?

The reason i ask is maybe you can cut them to shorten them up & get back on the road. My pipes were ok but i wanted to shorten them & black ceramic coat them so i removed the shields & cut the pipes to what i have now. Just an idea...

·
Registered
12,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Man that blows...sorry to hear the bad news. How far down the pipes are they cracked?

The reason i ask is maybe you can cut them to shorten them up & get back on the road. My pipes were ok but i wanted to shorten them & black ceramic coat them so i removed the shields & cut the pipes to what i have now. Just an idea...
The cracks are about midway back, so I think cutting them before the crack would make the support problem worse. They're bolted to the rear exhaust hanger after the crack.

No. Nows the time to move up to Doolies:D And a undertaker front fender. That would complete the look for sure.
Unfortunately, the Doolies are out of production...and I have no extra money anyway.

Just for grins, I may try contacting Ken @ HK again and telling him what has happened. Surely I'm the first person who has had one of their exhaust systems completely crack in half! :roll:

·
Registered
675 Posts
Wow, that sux. After such a big investment in the pipes, you'd expect them to hold up to normal wear and tear. Looks as if the pipes were cut with a band saw. I'm surprised Hard chrome didn't replace them for you.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
My X had HK3's on it when I got it. I just found out what they were about 2 months ago. Knew they weren't stock. I've had the bike for 3 years. How long did you have yours on.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Mr. VTX - I know you said you'd rather not...but I'll send you my stock pipes if it will keep you running til you get the ones you want. Just collecting dust now anyway. I have the Champion hardbags and even though I can't be positive on your Invicta's, they might just barely fit.

·
Registered
12,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
My X had HK3's on it when I got it. I just found out what they were about 2 months ago. Knew they weren't stock. I've had the bike for 3 years. How long did you have yours on.
By this coming February, they'll have been on for 6 years. But the original front pipe was replaced in October of 2006...only a year and-a-half later...and I had to buy it! :mad:

Mr. VTX - I know you said you'd rather not...but I'll send you my stock pipes if it will keep you running til you get the ones you want. Just collecting dust now anyway. I have the Champion hardbags and even though I can't be positive on your Invicta's, they might just barely fit.
I really appreciate the offer, but I'm pretty sure the stockers would be too high. I'll let you know if I can use them, though. Thanks!

Just do the Tractor Muffler Mod and be done with it. Quit giving those guys all that money...:popcorn:
Don't you have to use the stock headers for that mod?

·
Registered
12,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I have a pair of HK 3" Big Straight's that have done the same thing....granted they are 5 years old they did the same thing.
Well, after reading about others who were having issues with HK pipes, I started doing some research and found that this not only affected Hondas but other makes, too. It's pretty unbelievable, to tell you the truth. It's obviously a design flaw, and yet HK will do nothing about it.

I need to research class-action law suits now! :shock:

·
Registered
501 Posts
stock pipes

I have a set of stock pipes. They came with my used 2004 1300s. I think everything is complete its just a matter of getting them to Tex. I dont want anything for them just shipping up front . I have no way of knowing what that would be or ever if it would be less to find a used set there and buy it. If I can help it would have to be after Xmas. timing you know. Give me a call if I can help 804 304- 6319 9to 6. See Redskins and Cowboys can get along.:beer3:

·
Registered
12,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I have a set of stock pipes. They came with my used 2004 1300s. I think everything is complete its just a matter of getting them to Tex. I dont want anything for them just shipping up front . I have no way of knowing what that would be or ever if it would be less to find a used set there and buy it. If I can help it would have to be after Xmas. timing you know. Give me a call if I can help 804 304- 6319 9to 6. See Redskins and Cowboys can get along.:beer3:
Thanks...I appreciate the offer. I'll let you know if I need them...that's two offers for the stockers. 8)

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I think I'm going to run out to the shed and eyeball my HK 3" Big Straights. Wonder if they are starting to indicate a crack in those areas...

·
Registered
7,175 Posts
That just flat out sucks especially with the weather being so nice down there

I had this happen to a set of double D pipes which I think were also made by hard krome. I did end up getting them replaced but the dealership gave me a new set while they took care of the issue

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
It is unfortunate to hear about those repeated issues. I worry about my Classics for the same reason but thank God haven't had any problems pop up yet.

Really is a shame, not only that a company has popular products but they break/fail as they are doing but also that the company won't stand behind it.

Consumers are the only ones who pay for it.:mad:

·
Registered
749 Posts
My buddy has HK pipes, his bike has 4k on it and the chrome has popped off in one spot and HK is giving him a big run around. They want him to send his pipes to them and they will have them re-chromed, leaving him bike less for about a month. The best part is ..he bought his pipes from the dealer, need I say more...

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Well now. That makes two sh*tty aftermarket vendors.

1. Hard Krome
2. Corbin

nojoke

21 - 40 of 188 Posts