41 - 60 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
11,582 Posts

·
Registered
12,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
When my weld breaks I may have HK staggered exhaust. My rear pipe looks ok.
I believe welding the heat shield to the exhaust pipe is a contributing factor.
Exh pipe gets hot expands, heat shield is a lot cooler, something has to give. Probably why I had cracked welds on several attachment points. Weld it up and put a clamp on shield over the weld.
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=265&navTitle=Exhaust&webCatId=18&keyword=FMF&prodFamilyId=21205
That could definitely work...I've never seen those heat shields before. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
12,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
J, I have friend who donated some V&H's to me when I crashed. I did not use them and gave them back. If interested, I'll check and see if he still has them?????
That would be cool, as I think they would fit with my bags...let me know what you find out. I appreciate that!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Pipes:

I shaved my head in disgust! :mrgreen:

Yes, I could get it welded...of course, it would look like crap, but it would be functional. I could get both of them properly welded and then ceramic coat them, but I don't know how much that would cost and what it would look like. Most people know me as The Anti-Black! :lol:

I may go talk to a guy who has a custom m/c shop near my house, and find out if he could make me what I really want...Doolies! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I might be able to do some bartering with him!
Weld & then wrap them in black heat tape. I understand it even enhances performance. I think it looks mean too.

Nick:tools:

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Hey bud been a long day for me with toy run and all. I actually caught Hick on break on the phone and shot the breeze a bit. Listen if your other leads fail I have the Fury pipes hanging in my building. I KNOW they sit lower than the stockers. Here is the best original pic I had.

Looks like they sit about an inch or so higher than your HK2's. I had planned to keep, but if it gets you going I have them also.

The heat shield cover could be your best bet, but let me know if I can help bud.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Wow that's terrible. I like the sound of HKs and wanted to go with them until I heard that they're customer support is terrible. Ever after a warranty a good company will help you out if not take care of an issue like this.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Wow that's terrible. I like the sound of HKs and wanted to go with them until I heard that they're customer support is terrible. Ever after a warranty a good company will help you out if not take care of an issue like this.

Me to I LOVE the look of them, but SO MANY complain there is no way I would have them. If I bought a bike with them in decent shape I would sell them first thing!

·
Registered
12,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Hey bud been a long day for me with toy run and all. I actually caught Hick on break on the phone and shot the breeze a bit. Listen if your other leads fail I have the Fury pipes hanging in my building. I KNOW they sit lower than the stockers. Here is the best original pic I had.

Looks like they sit about an inch or so higher than your HK2's. I had planned to keep, but if it gets you going I have them also.

The heat shield cover could be your best bet, but let me know if I can help bud.
Wow...you guys rock! :bowdown: I appreciate the offer from you, too! I'll let you know one way or another.

Yeah, that's what I thought, too. Unfortunately, they have given the run-around to many people here (VTXOA) and elsewhere.

If we flood their email with this thread it might not be a great day for them.
Here's the info for Ken @ HK:

[email protected]

I'm going to try contacting him tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath with what happened to me last year in November. :roll:

BUB's Nuf said :thumbup:
:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Well let's face it - Your bike well never run the same and it's only a matter of time with that Corbin seat. It's time to face the facts and get that Triumph:) Come to think of it...you've been planning this all along haven't you? :D

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I've heard of HK's doing this A Lot.. I was torn between HK and Samson. Glad I went with Samson now.

I do have a set of Stock pipes, if you're looking to get back on the road. They have had the deep clayton mod done to them, so at least you can hear them a little.

PM me if you're interested, we can work out shipping. They're off of a 2006, btw.

-Gonz

·
Registered
6 Posts
You need to add the disclaimer to this line.

If you do not like the warranty terms then you can go pound sand up your butt using the exhaust as a funnel. *

* Note that using the exhaust in this manner is not covered under warranty either and should our poor welding cause injury we will laugh even harder.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
You're not the first, and won't be the last... Hopefully all those who read your thread will take this as a warning... DG apparently produces an inferior product for all makes!

Had the 3" Big Straights on my 1500 Classic and they cracked at the hear shield bracket welds when they were just over a year old. Hard Krome wouldn't return emails or phone messages. Mine was not an isolated case as other members here and on the Delphi Vulcan forum have had the same problem though it does seem to be related to that particular exhaust. Al I can say is most of those who have HK's love them and have had good luck but if you have a problem, don't expect HK to be helpful. Do ya feel lucky?
I hope you like them, because if they have any defects(my sons rear header pipe broke within 6 months) you are stuck with them. Hardchrome says what you get is what you are stuck with.
bought 2 years ago back pipe cracked all the way around where bolts to frame shops say manufacture defect contacted dg hardchrome was told will do nothing for me but will sell me another pair would not warranty.
I had the Double D's on my evo WG. Went through 3 sets of them. They looked great, sounded great, but didn't hold up AT ALL. The first set broke the rear mount for the upper pipe at the support. The second set broke the front mount for the lower pipe. The third -and last- set broke the heat shield on the rear pipe at the stand-off at the cylinder head. The customer service was one of the worst I've dealt with- numerous phone calls trying to get warranty, after which only got an 8 week turn around. No set lasted more than 200 miles. This bike is essentially stock. They don't make the Double D's anymore, when I called the last time. I'll never buy another hard krome product- period. caveat emptor.
i liked my $500+ set until they fell apart. no **** the welds that hold the outer pipes onto the inner ones cracked and it sounded like a set of cans in a bag.
Liked them at first ! A year later still sound great But the heat sheild on the front header cracked and the rust is sickning!And the price has accually gone up considerably since I bought mine. Whats up with that s--t!!!

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
You need to add the disclaimer to this line.

If you do not like the warranty terms then you can go pound sand up your butt using the exhaust as a funnel. *

* Note that using the exhaust in this manner is not covered under warranty either and should our poor welding cause injury we will laugh even harder.

Your first post and what a sense of humor! I am guessing you have had some of these? Anyway WELCOME TO THE MADNESS and MERRY Christmas!

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
I had the Double D's on my evo WG. Went through 3 sets of them. They looked great, sounded great, but didn't hold up AT ALL. The first set broke the rear mount for the upper pipe at the support. The second set broke the front mount for the lower pipe. The third -and last- set broke the heat shield on the rear pipe at the stand-off at the cylinder head. The customer service was one of the worst I've dealt with- numerous phone calls trying to get warranty, after which only got an 8 week turn around. No set lasted more than 200 miles. This bike is essentially stock. They don't make the Double D's anymore, when I called the last time. I'll never buy another hard krome product- period. caveat emptor.
Now this is one individual that does not catch on very quickly. :lol:

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
That's not good. I've got HKs on my bike. I'd hate to think I might have shorty pipes soon.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I too have HK's on my VTX...2 years old now. So far so good.

I too have the factory pipes and you are welcome to them as well.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

41 - 60 of 188 Posts