Honda VTX Forum banner

My SHARK AMP/FM Radio Install

59K views 34 replies 22 participants last post by  dud-57 
#1 ·
Power for my Shark System is from a relay triggered by the brown tail light wire. The SHARK will lose any FM station setting and go to default audio settings when all power is removed from the unit :shock:
Easy to reset and better than dead batteries :yikes:

:cool:

See less See more
#4 ·
performance any good?

i like the look of the speakers and the mounts. were they the ones included in the packaged kit or did you get them elsewhere? do the speakers really have the sound performance the blogs say they do? thanks

#5 ·
i like the look of the speakers and the mounts. were they the ones included in the packaged kit or did you get them elsewhere? do the speakers really have the sound performance the blogs say they do? thanks
The mounts are partially factory and partially home made. The photo shows the homemade part on the factory clamp (not included with unit). The base riser is ½” solid aluminum rod with a ¼” hole bored with a lathe. The base is a 1/8” piece of aluminum cut to size (all from Home Depot). Then I tig welded the aluminum parts together and power buffed them with rubbing compound.

The clamp can be found on the link below and labled "Chrome 1 Inch Handlebar Clamp". Scroll to near bottom of product page:
http://www.cycoactive.com/ram/parts.html
I fastened the upper and lower parts of the mount together with a ¼” Diameter flat head stainless steel bolt.
The speakers housings are plastic and speakers are included with the unit. The sound quality is superb. The Amp has a built in FM radio and clock.
Base, treble, volume and a cable remote control included.
They included a mount however I didn’t like the looks of them.
The system was purchased at this link, all for less than $100:cool::
http://www.gooddeals18.com/product/SHKCYCLERADIOKIT/Motorcycle__yacht_2_speakers__amplifier__radio_pkg.html

#6 ·
Radio

Thanks for the info, I read the information on the web site and it said it had a radio. So If I decide to go this route it sounds like I would need to invest on some different mounts. Thanks again this site is grea, it allows you to minimize any mistake on ideas for our cycles.

#7 ·
Just got this today

Just got this system today in the mail and anxious to install it to cure my winter blues and riding withdrawls. I have a VTX as well and my main question is regarding the control panel. I see you have yours mounted right up front for easy accessability. My question though, is that is probably not meant to get wet right?

Also, what did you wire up with the brown speaker wire?? Not sure what the purpose of that is....can you elaborate??

Thanks
Rob
Niles, MI

#8 ·
Everything looks good. Nice install. The ONLY thing I'd do differently, and to each his own, is to wire it to the battery or another continuous power source. If you want to listen to it while stopped somewhere you'll have to have the key on. I put a switch on mine and have only left it on once and that was in the garage so I could charge the battery easy enough.
8)

#9 ·
great information

I just wanted to say great info on the stereo install. I just purchased one and needed to find a bracket for mounting my amp. The one you have is indeed exactly what I'm looking for. One other question for you, did you get the remote control unit for this? I didn't see it installed anywhere in the images so I'm assuming not. Was just wondering what the best location would be (or if there is another bracket you know of) that I could use to mount the remote.

Thanks,

Scott

#10 ·
Wiring question on shark audio

I just recieved my Shark Audio system and was looking over the manual. I have hooked it up to test, but now planning out the install. Speakers no problem...mounted in 5 minutes uses supplied brackets. Amp...still unsure where to put it. Wiring? GoodDeals says I can wire direct to battery and not have to worry about draining it? Anyone else wired direct to battery? Notice any problems? I have the 250w with radio version.

#11 ·
I just recieved my Shark Audio system and was looking over the manual. I have hooked it up to test, but now planning out the install. Speakers no problem...mounted in 5 minutes uses supplied brackets. Amp...still unsure where to put it. Wiring? GoodDeals says I can wire direct to battery and not have to worry about draining it? Anyone else wired direct to battery? Notice any problems? I have the 250w with radio version.
My post three up. ^^^^^^^^

#12 ·
I got mind in the mail two weeks ago. I dont have pics (can't figure how to post them yet), but follow me. I have the speakers mounted to the shield (second screw in on both sides). i like the idea up having the shield to provide some sort of protection. The amp is temp place in my windshield bag. After this thread I know a better place to mount it. I have the remote, got the wire pulled under the tank and the small remote is on my tank just ahead of my seat. For the wiring, straight to the battery. Jammed it at Jacksonville Beach for about 30 mins with no problem. I have had a hard time finding a good place for the antenna so I use my ipod 99% of the time and the sound is great. Went with black 250w vice chrome, something different and glad I did, no glare on sunny days. Good investment for $130.

#13 ·
Everything is mocked up now...

I mounted speakers to my Memphis Shade shield. I used one of the bolts that attaches the shield to the mounting bracket. The amp is mounted next to my headlight from the bottom on my upper triple tree using a bracket I fabbed. Wired straight back to the battery. Nice thing is, if I need to remove my shield all I do is flip the quick disconnects, unplug 2 rca connection wires...bing done. I didn't get the remote, but with it mounted next to headlight, I can reach the buttons on the front. I had checked out before I remembered to add the remote. I chatted online with customer support and sent $9 thru Paypal for it. They were going to adjust the order to include it. They didn't fix the order so remote was shipped. I suspect that they have one model number, but two models. The one I received has no connection for a remote. On the site they say...order remote and kit at the same time. If ordered seperate remote will not fit. I see why. If you don't order remote you get the kit without the connector. If you order a remote you get the one with a connector. Why not just list 2 models and charge $119 and $128 on the website?

#15 ·
Super clean install
I just visited the amp sellers site. They have my install photos for their advertisement :shock:.
A cleaner install :thumbup:.
If anyone wants to put a permanent cover on the amp a DU-BRO 24 ounce model airplane fuel tank can be trimmed to fit perfectly over the amp. It is a semi-transparent white. The red light on the unit shows thru the cover.
I added the remote. Radio Shack sells the controller plug and the special crimper that works.
I am sorry I did not get any photos of the permanent cover and remote install.
I have a Goldwing now and will soon be selling this system as described at a low price.
Remember that I have shortened the cords to fit handlebars on a VTX1800N.
The polished tig welded mounts will be included. I just don't have time to make up an advertisement now due to having a new AC unit installed in my shop tomorrow :oops:.
I also have a new stock unit in BLACK I need to sell at a very fair price (unbeatablenojoke).

#19 ·
handlebar bag

I have a 250w Shark audio system I just purchased from Gooddeals (and before anyone says anything, I know it isn't louder with the higher watts) and I'm not sure where to mount the amp. I tried the tool box area, but it is a bit too bulky to fit in there... so, I've heard tales of putting it into a motorcycle handlebar bag. Comments, anyone? I would think it prone to over heating in there.

I'm pretty new to this board, so forgive me if this has been covered before. I've looked but can't seem to find anything.

Thank you!

BTW... I have a 2006 VTX1300R.

:arrow: :tools:

Attachments

#20 ·
I have a 250w Shark audio system I just purchased from Gooddeals (and before anyone says anything, I know it isn't louder with the higher watts) and I'm not sure where to mount the amp. I tried the tool box area, but it is a bit too bulky to fit in there... so, I've heard tales of putting it into a motorcycle handlebar bag. Comments, anyone? I would think it prone to over heating in there.

I'm pretty new to this board, so forgive me if this has been covered before. I've looked but can't seem to find anything.

Thank you!

BTW... I have a 2006 VTX1300R.

:arrow: :tools:
Lots of people will respond and say the amp will be fine in a tool bag :yikes:.
Heat may not kill the unit initially but its damage is cumulative ;). It will have a much shorter lifespan compared to an amp that is cooled properly either using a fan or just mounting it in the open (free-air) :thumbup:.

#21 ·
Thanks!

I appreciate the comment. Much like any electronics, it works better if cool. I was thinking about ventilating my handlebar bag since I don't have a windshield yet. Curious to see what kind of decibel-age I'll get with no shield.

I do like your setup, however. Perhaps the handlebar tool kit will be a temporary solution.

Thanks!

#22 ·
I've got mine in a sony camera bag I got from Walmart I think...It had a lower zip-up pouch that worked out well for wire management, all the wires go in there. I cut out the wall between the compartments to allow them in. I also put a piece of aluminum L-bar on top of the amp, down through the opening I cut- this gives it a channel for air to come through. You can kinda see it here.

Now, though, I'm thinking about mounting it to the underside of the triple tree or in the toolbox- I've got it wired on a switched lead of it's own. I like the convenience here, but I find I never use the radio, just my mp3 player, so I really don't need access to it. You can use standard RCA extensions and a phone line extension to add to the length of the wires, without having to cut into them.
Plus, I can't see my risers and the chrome triple tree cover this way!:-?

#25 ·
#26 ·
Apparently, your pics are drawing attention from retailers as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/shark-motorcycl...4885667?pt=Car_Amplifiers&hash=item45f481b923
Gooddeals has offered me a discount on any of their products since I am automatically the photo copyright holder. The law reads that the original photographer is the copyright holder.
I gave them permission since they were nice enough to contact me.
Amazon.Com is another story. They don't reply to complaints to copyright infringements. Too big to fight for a small return :dontknow:.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.