Honda VTX Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts
Thanks!

I appreciate the comment. Much like any electronics, it works better if cool. I was thinking about ventilating my handlebar bag since I don't have a windshield yet. Curious to see what kind of decibel-age I'll get with no shield.

I do like your setup, however. Perhaps the handlebar tool kit will be a temporary solution.

Thanks!

I've got mine in a sony camera bag I got from Walmart I think...It had a lower zip-up pouch that worked out well for wire management, all the wires go in there. I cut out the wall between the compartments to allow them in. I also put a piece of aluminum L-bar on top of the amp, down through the opening I cut- this gives it a channel for air to come through. You can kinda see it here.

Now, though, I'm thinking about mounting it to the underside of the triple tree or in the toolbox- I've got it wired on a switched lead of it's own. I like the convenience here, but I find I never use the radio, just my mp3 player, so I really don't need access to it. You can use standard RCA extensions and a phone line extension to add to the length of the wires, without having to cut into them.
Plus, I can't see my risers and the chrome triple tree cover this way!:-?

Hey Dag -

How'd you mount those to your shield? Did you just use the supplied bracket or did you make something up for that? I like how close you got the speakers to your shield.

Vince

Discussion starter · #24 ·
Hit Prediction

It looks to me like this thread should reach the 30,000 view count on October 23,2011.
Lets see how close my prediction is :yikes:;).
It has certainly made a lot of people aware of HDL's VTX forums :firstplace:.

Discussion starter · #26 ·
Apparently, your pics are drawing attention from retailers as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/shark-motorcycl...4885667?pt=Car_Amplifiers&hash=item45f481b923
Gooddeals has offered me a discount on any of their products since I am automatically the photo copyright holder. The law reads that the original photographer is the copyright holder.
I gave them permission since they were nice enough to contact me.
Amazon.Com is another story. They don't reply to complaints to copyright infringements. Too big to fight for a small return :dontknow:.

I have a 250w Shark audio system I just purchased from Gooddeals (and before anyone says anything, I know it isn't louder with the higher watts) and I'm not sure where to mount the amp. I tried the tool box area, but it is a bit too bulky to fit in there... so, I've heard tales of putting it into a motorcycle handlebar bag. Comments, anyone? I would think it prone to over heating in there.

I'm pretty new to this board, so forgive me if this has been covered before. I've looked but can't seem to find anything.

Thank you!

BTW... I have a 2006 VTX1300R.

:arrow: :tools:
mine is in a bag mounted inside my black fairing for over three years, and works just fine, for the clean way I mounted it, and its cheap price, I will replace it if it ever burns out. I have the memphes bat wing speakers, amp control switch and mp3 are all mounted way inside it and cant hardle see any of it, VERY clean install and works fantastic!

I would disagree on hard wiring to battery. No music when key is off is acceptable, no crank and bike start is inacceptable.

Everything looks good. Nice install. The ONLY thing I'd do differently, and to each his own, is to wire it to the battery or another continuous power source. If you want to listen to it while stopped somewhere you'll have to have the key on. I put a switch on mine and have only left it on once and that was in the garage so I could charge the battery easy enough.
8)

Shark amp install

I bought my husband the 600 Watt shark radio for Christmas. He installed it yesterday and put the amp in a windshield bag on his Dyna low rider. The amp got extremely hot - what can he do to rectify this? Is there a bracket that he can get or what other suggestions are out there?
The year of his bike is a 2008.

I got the 600 watt shark radio installed on my 1300t. The speakers came with mounting brackets that were supposed to attach to the mirrors (no thanks). So i mounted them to the top bolts on the windshield and the wired remote on the left handlebar and ran the wiring with the stock wiring for hand controls. Right in front of the tank there is a plastic cover on the frame. I removed the seat and the bottom tank bolt and propped the tank up with a screwdriver handle and slid the speaker wires behind the plastic piece on the frame then under the gas tank to the battery box and tightened the tank back up. Attached the red and black wires to the propper terminals on the battery and put the antenna in the tool/manual box under the battery and taped up wire slack. Then put the battery box top on and the seat back on. I opened up a saddle bag ran the wires into it from just behind the spot where the riders seat bolts on. I took electric tape and taped all the wires together to streamline the whole deal. The inside of the bag is hard plastic so i screwed the amp to the inside of the bag on the fender side and plugged it up. Radio was loud and jammin! I also hook up my iphone and play tunes through it and it charges my phone. Love the set up. If you do use a music player dont turn it all the way up. Keep the player a couple notches from max and then you can turn the shark all the way up with no distortion. Just turn the phone down then the shark all the way up and gradually raise the phone volume until its to the point of maximum volume with minimum distortion. I have the clayton root mod and can hear my music at 80. Much better at 60 though. My woman says she cant hear it as well at higher speed. Maybe next winter ill get the 1000 watt with 4 speakers and mount two on the back for her.

Frustrated

Hey Beer,
Do you have any pics to go with this?
I just got my Shark 600 watt speaker and amp system. You CAN"T install the speakers with their brackets via the mirror, because of the brake fluid reservoir.
There's no place to mount the amp.

I got the 600 watt shark radio installed on my 1300t. The speakers came with mounting brackets that were supposed to attach to the mirrors (no thanks). So i mounted them to the top bolts on the windshield and the wired remote on the left handlebar and ran the wiring with the stock wiring for hand controls. Right in front of the tank there is a plastic cover on the frame. I removed the seat and the bottom tank bolt and propped the tank up with a screwdriver handle and slid the speaker wires behind the plastic piece on the frame then under the gas tank to the battery box and tightened the tank back up. Attached the red and black wires to the propper terminals on the battery and put the antenna in the tool/manual box under the battery and taped up wire slack. Then put the battery box top on and the seat back on. I opened up a saddle bag ran the wires into it from just behind the spot where the riders seat bolts on. I took electric tape and taped all the wires together to streamline the whole deal. The inside of the bag is hard plastic so i screwed the amp to the inside of the bag on the fender side and plugged it up. Radio was loud and jammin! I also hook up my iphone and play tunes through it and it charges my phone. Love the set up. If you do use a music player dont turn it all the way up. Keep the player a couple notches from max and then you can turn the shark all the way up with no distortion. Just turn the phone down then the shark all the way up and gradually raise the phone volume until its to the point of maximum volume with minimum distortion. I have the clayton root mod and can hear my music at 80. Much better at 60 though. My woman says she cant hear it as well at higher speed. Maybe next winter ill get the 1000 watt with 4 speakers and mount two on the back for her.

Shkamp5800bt

Got my Shark 600 watt amp and speakers on Monday. There's no way to mount them on the mirror as suggested. There was no instructions in the package and they really leave you hanging on mounting the amp. Sending it back.

I would disagree on hard wiring to battery. No music when key is off is acceptable, no crank and bike start is inacceptable.
I hardwired mine to the battery, and it drained it, even when off. I pull the power plug now and re-plug it when I want to use it. The only problem is it seems to pop the in-line fuse for some reason. I power off the unit before I un-plug it. When I re-plug it, I can hear a buzz as it receives power. This leads me to believe that, even though it SEEMS to be powered off, it really isn't. I mounted the entire system in the open behind my Batman wing fairing. Come the rainy season here, I will have a plastic cover over it.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.