Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..yeah, like anyone cares.

Hey, I've read all the threads and have no horse in this race but got to say, there's a lot of whining going on about nothing.

The welds suck.

The tank's too small.

The engine's too small.

Not enough blah, blah, blah ...you fill in the blank.

Well today, I decided I needed to go to the dealer and checkout what a pile of **** this new bike must be to cause such a stir...

Guess what, none to be found. The salesman says ...yep, we had one, for about an hour. Can get your name on a list.

Leaving discouraged, I decided to ride to my favorite cycle parts store just to find something I probably really don't need ...and as I pull into the driveway, what do I see? ...a shinny new Fury parked next to the entrance! Wow! ...I look over the bike for 10 minutes trying to spot all the defects so I can point them out to the owner so he can rush back to Honda and ask for a refund.

It turns out the Fury owner is also the store owner and we talk for about an hour. I look over the bike front to rear, rear to front, top to bottom, bottom to top ...WTF is all the whining about?

I bet within a very short time, after a bunch of these have been sold and the aftermarket parts start showing up ...this will be a very popular bike for Honda.

If you don't like the bike, you don't have to buy one. Why all the bashing going on? I like the bike. Think there's improvements Honda could/will make but overall, I think Honda did pretty well.

I guess time will tell if Honda made the right choice. My guess is that their market research guys & gals are way smarter than most of us here.

H

·
0 Posts

Hey, I've read all the threads and have no horse in this race but got to say, there's a lot of whining going on about nothing.

The welds suck.

The tank's too small.

The engine's too small.

Well today, I decided I needed to go to the dealer and checkout what a pile of **** this new bike must be to cause such a stir...

Guess what, none to be found. The salesman says ...yep, we had one, for about an hour. Can get your name on a list.

Leaving discouraged, I decided to ride to my favorite cycle parts store just to find something I probably really don't need ...and as I pull into the driveway, what do I see? ...a shinny new Fury parked next to the entrance! Wow! ...I look over the bike for 10 minutes trying to spot all the defects so I can point them out to the owner so he can rush back to Honda and ask for a refund.

It turns out the Fury owner is also the store owner and we talk for about an hour. I look over the bike front to rear, rear to front, top to bottom, bottom to top ...WTF is all the whining about?

I bet within a very short time, after a bunch of these have been sold and the aftermarket parts start showing up ...this will be a very popular bike for Honda.

If you don't like the bike, you don't have to buy one. Why all the bashing going on? I like the bike. Think there's improvements Honda could/will make but overall, I think Honda did pretty well.

I guess time will tell if Honda made the right choice. My guess is that their market research guys & gals are way smarter than most of us here.

I agree.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Your not reading correctly??

You need to read all of the posts and keep your mind clear, my point is that the Fury is sweet, great, etc.
But those welds , yea may they be strong, look like sh*t,
point is - why would Honda design a great bike and then do something like that?? And I don't buy that "old chopper" look story that some stealers are putting out.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I saw one yesterday and I have to say I personally was pretty impressed with the bike. Everything fits very well. I like how the Side covers flow with the bike, the motor is extremely clean looking. The tank flows nicely. The welds on the neck aren't as atrocious as everyone makes them out to be. I have to admit they could be better, but the rest of the bike more than makes up for that one small flaw. How many flaws do VTX owners deal with? Rattles, clunks, wobbles, etc.

I think the fury is a pretty good looking bike.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well said.... I am an owner of a Fury and have also commented on the welds before in the neck area :oops:... and also mentioned a bit more fuel capacity would be nice... which it would be nice to get a gal more :p

I am as happy as a kid in chucky cheese about my Fury regardless of comments made to me out in the real world about my bike.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I saw 2 at the bike shop the other day a wine colored one and a silver one.The wine looked much nicer the silver just blends with the silver motor and wheels to much not enough contrast for me.The customer was getting ready to ride the wine one home and the salesman said they have sold very well so far.I sat on the silver one and the bike seemed to fit me very well and would be a comfortable ride but not for the passenger.Every thing fit and flowed together very well and the bike looked better in person than in pics.I don't know why people are pissing and moaning about a bike they'll probably never buy anyway.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Well said.... I am an owner of a Fury and have also commented on the welds before in the neck area :oops:... and also mentioned a bit more fuel capacity would be nice... which it would be nice to get a gal more :p

I am as happy as a kid in chucky cheese about my Fury regardless of comments made to me out in the real world about my bike.

Now that you have a fury you will get more gals.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I've been an AWS certified welding inspector since 1976 and feel qualified to comment on the neck and down tube splice welds. The joint prep on the down tube splice would require two cap passes to fill the joint. The joint only has one. That is a discrepany know as "underfill". The neck weld joint has poor(unacceptable) weld profile. With this said, it takes a small amount of weldment to attach the two sections of metal (tubes). The welds are not going fail unless the joints are subjected to a force equal to the tubes snapping first. In short- not to worry. Just my observations

·
Registered
535 Posts
The question in mind is are the fury's neck welds the same on all models? Or, are the sloppy welds an early production thing? The Fury I saw had decent looking welds with no underfill.:dontknow:

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
WTF is all the whining about?
Most of the whining is from people who had never seen one (other than a promo pic, anyway), let alone sit on one or - God forbid make a judgment before - riding one.

The more it's out there, the more positive feedback I'm seeing. It's still not a style I personally would want to own, but it's a decent looker, and I'm certainly happy for Honda and for riders who wanted something a little different that the Fury is actually panning out and showing signs of being a success.

ed

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
I saw 2 at the bike shop the other day a wine colored one and a silver one.The wine looked much nicer the silver just blends with the silver motor and wheels to much not enough contrast for me.The customer was getting ready to ride the wine one home and the salesman said they have sold very well so far.I sat on the silver one and the bike seemed to fit me very well and would be a comfortable ride but not for the passenger.Every thing fit and flowed together very well and the bike looked better in person than in pics.I don't know why people are pissing and moaning about a bike they'll probably never buy anyway.
:agree: :agree:

·
Registered
1,580 Posts

The welds suck.

The tank's too small.

The engine's too small.

:agree: Honda hit a Grand - Slam on the Fury

·
Seasoned Member
8,334 Posts
:agree:

I was looking at one at a dealership (only place apparently in the state that sold motorcycle sunglasses. . . you know with the foam around them to block out the wind. . my old ones broke, aww, hell, back tot he story) and thought they looked pretty slick.

First thing I looked at: Neck welds. . . :dontknow: guess I'm not a master welder, they looked fine to me.

Second thing: Tank, yeah, a bit undersized, but this bike is not designed to be a touring bike, so 100 miles a tank is probably fine. (I've seen American Iron Horse bikes with about the same sized tank. . . those guys don't seem to have any issues)

I was somewhat impressed with it. . I did not sit on it, due to someone there already starting the purchase process on it. . I thought it looked fine. No worse then any other stock motorcycle out there. . of course there are things I'd change, but that'd just be to make it my own.

:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: I guess after seeing one in person, they aren't the evil that most here are making them out to be.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts