Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a brand new set of hard Viking saddlebags.
Unfortunately I had to drill through one of its locks.
Even more unfortunate Viking states they do not have or resell their own individual proprietary replacement locks.
A search of the Internet has not provided me with any spare parts or any like alternative lock options.
Viking bags said they have nothing available for me and locksmith are unable to find a suitable replacement.

———— addendum ———

Unfortunately after many weeks of trying to find a resolution through Viking it all has come to not.
Fortunately though, I have learned much and achieved a fully functional resolution, even though mighty fuggly.

What I learned from Viking:

They only do total bag replacement “if” item is under warranty
They do not have or sell replacement parts.
They do not “know” the foreign manufacturer’s company name who makes the bags for them
They do not “know” the foreign manufacturer’s company name who makes the associated parts for the bag either

Luckily I can still use the bags. It just bites that after spending $500.00 for them I was really left out in the cold.

P.S. The yellow ziptie is used to thread the link through the hole in the bag’s lid.
The bags also seems to have stayed somewhat rain resistant.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,617 Posts
That is truly unfortunate. I had bought Viking Bags for my VTX (not the hard shell). At first they shipped me 2 different bags, both for the same side of the bike. I had to take photos to prove I wasn't lying to them (I suppose I get that with all the scammers out there). They sent me a new bag. I am still unclear as to how a company like this can ship out mismatched bags, but at least they made it right. The bags never fit as I was assured they would so I had to modify them a bit. Drill new holes and plug the old ones. In the end I was okay with the final result for the price I paid.

I am disappointed for you in your experience. They most certainly do know who they get their bags from. Even if not directly from the manufacturer, they simply didn't want to do the leg work. Customer service is a difficult part of running a business, and customer support costs money. Unfortunately some companies don't want to invest in their customer base. These are the ones that disappear after some time.

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
Take my take with a grain of salt

I own a set of Viking bags (see image) and I was/am very pleased overall with the quality and have had zero issues with the locks. What you never explained was why you had to drill through one of your locks. It begs the question whether it was a supplier defect or something else (perhaps something you did)? Saying the vendor left you out in the cold is unfair I feel in this example, as I doubt most bag manufacturers sell their locks separately. My point here is anyone reading your post might pass on buying a good bag simply based on your making the vendor out to lack customer support when I see it as you expecting the unreasonable.

I might add that I can think of much more ascetically pleasing ways you could have secured your broken lock lid, but it's a little late for that now. If my lock breaks out of warranty on my Viking bag, I have zero expectation that Viking has any responsibility to me for it. These are not premium bags so it is a case of 'you get what you pay for' as I see it.

I would have fixed the lid with a small version of this (see image) painted black and mounted on the fender facing side of the lid using rivets to mount the thing.

·
Premium Member
5,617 Posts
Good counterpoint HOP. I can't say anything bad about my Viking bags either, other than what I pointed out. I had them for a few years before I sold the bike and I had zero issues once they were installed. I found they were good value in that the price was pretty good at the time.

That said, maybe other bag manufacturers don't sell hardware separately, but my bet is that most costlier brands will make such replacement items available. I suppose that speaks to how much one spends from the outset.

If it's important to one before buying bags, it may make sense to ask such questions before dropping the cash.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I totally did not throw the company under the bus.
The bags were brand new and were installed on the bike for about three weeks.
I had to drill the lock in order to get the keys out of the self locking saddlebags.
After repeated phone calls and emails providing associated proof of purchase and model numbers to no avail, even though I was willing/wanting to purchase the replacement locks and knowing that $500 is a lot of money to me, I do believe that Yes the company did leave me out in the cold.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
F.Y.I.

The Hondaline saddle bags are premium bags and you cannot get any replacement parts for them from Honda either. Same for a lot of their accessories, i.e. light bars, windshields etc. Honda only sells them complete and no parts.

If a company sells something they should make parts available too no mater what the product cost is. I am surprised Viking has no clue who makes their products.

Okay, I am done venting too !

·
Registered
942 Posts
I had to drill the lock in order to get the keys out of the self locking saddlebags.
After repeated phone calls and emails providing associated proof of purchase and model numbers to no avail, even though I was willing/wanting to purchase the replacement locks and knowing that $500 is a lot of money to me, I do believe that Yes the company did leave me out in the cold.
Sorry to hear about your troubles with the bags/company. Everyone has different experience. Some of us just attract incompetent and unwilling people. I have stories too.

Don't give up, though. Maybe someone here will have a lead on their locks. Maybe you'll find a different locksmith who will have a similar lock that might fit.
Your current solution is temporary for sure.
Again, don't give up, hope you get lucky and find what you need! :thumbup:

(I have been in a similar situation with a lock/handle and lucked out finding a similar replacement)

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm really not surprised to hear this. I have their hard bags on my Shadow and was fully looking at getting their trunk. I had, what I thought, was a simple request. I wanted all 3 locks keyed the same so I only needed 1 key. After a few emails back and forth, the answer I basically got was that it couldn't happen. The end result was that I didn't order the trunk.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Trouble with my Viking bags

Update —— “Happy ending of sorts”

Luckily, on another board I belong to, a fellow member who has had a very real issue with his bags https://www.twtex.com/forums/threads/viking-bags-lock.120930/, has very graciously offered to donate the locks off of his bags. This should be enabled me to complete the repair on both my bags and have a fully functioning set of bags with working locks again.

Wish he too was able to resolve his issues with his Viking bags. :crying:

·
Registered
942 Posts
Update —— “Happy ending of sorts”

Luckily, on another board I belong to, a fellow member who has had a very real issue with his bags https://www.twtex.com/forums/threads/viking-bags-lock.120930/, has very graciously offered to donate the locks off of his bags. This should be enabled me to complete the repair on both my bags and have a fully functioning set of bags with working locks again.

Wish he too was able to resolve his issues with his Viking bags. :crying:
Awesome! Glad to hear the great news.
Sometimes we just get lucky and things work out. That's why these forums are so important. :thumbup:

·
Registered
609 Posts
self locking bags ?

it had to be easier to pick the lock than to drill it .
i have vikings
took forever and a day to get the bags and the brackets were garbage
i made my own brackets instead . but over all happy with the bags

·
Registered
6,057 Posts

I'm still not convinced the company "left you out in the cold".

I read the return policy of the web site and didn't see anything in there when comparing your scenario that implied they didn't honor any stated policy.

Sorry, but I've never heard of "self locking saddlebags" and the Viking web site doesn't use that term. They are "lockable" not self locking.

Self locking or not, if you were unable to pull out the key that seems to indicate a poor quality lock.

Regardless, what good we can take from your post is certainly a warning that the bags have a very limited/restrictive return policy (it's 30 days and items need to in new condition and returned after they approve the return) and also that apparently the locks can fail to release the keys soon after purchase.

I'm a big believer in posting both positive and negative product review experiences, and this is why I made sure to note my experience was positive. Let the buyer beware is the lesson learned.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Looking at a picture of the lock on their saddle bags it looks like an ordinary drawer or cabinet lock. Similar to the locks on my Leatherlyke bags. It seems like a good hardware store might carry a lock similar enough to work as a replacement maybe ? or maybe something could be found online. I haven't looked for a saddlebag lock before but I know the local Tru Value has dozens of different types sizes and shapes of these small locks and I would be surprised if they didn't have something that would work. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
5,617 Posts
Looking at a picture of the lock on their saddle bags it looks like an ordinary drawer or cabinet lock. Similar to the locks on my Leatherlyke bags. It seems like a good hardware store might carry a lock similar enough to work as a replacement maybe ? or maybe something could be found online. I haven't looked for a saddlebag lock before but I know the local Tru Value has dozens of different types sizes and shapes of these small locks and I would be surprised if they didn't have something that would work. Just a thought.
Good thought, or maybe an RV parts department?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Any locksmith worth being called a locksmith could have picked that lock to retrieve the keys and new locks would not have been necessary. Here $35 is the going rate if you take it to him. If he had to come to you it would be more but either way he wouldn't destroy a lock.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My troubles w/ Viking revisited

Hi all

Sorry for the delay in doing/posting an update.
Life happened fast and heavy but, I finally had time to fix the bags.
Thanks to Rudy a member of the Twtex.com board and not of Viking
I now once again have a pair of fully functioning Viking Bags.
Thanks again to Rudy I can now use the bags as designed.
I really love the results.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts