Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My turn, 6 degree triple trees…

Tapper and I had the other day a 1800 with 6 degree trees in the garage. And as usually I take the baby out for a spin.

THIS IS JUST MY OPINION :!:

Nah…not for me. These trees make the bike so unstable. The handlebars flip flop on you. Our frame is not the strongest and in fast curves they tweak, with this trees this is worse.

Sure you can say you get used to it – you get used to a splinter in your finger too. Turn radius is wider and a tire warm up is scary. This trees don’t like quick changes of directions. Well, some will say “I ride not this fast” – wrong answer, you will see this when a car suddenly stops in front of you…

If is almost impossible to adjust the pressure on the bearings. Which turns freehand riding into a stunt.

Side note: if not pointed out most riders don’t notice the difference on the bike, when it sits in the parking lot.

I rode a HD before with offset trees, nope not good. Now I rode a X with these kind of trees – no not for me, feels funky. No wonder they are illegal in Europe.

Try to cheat physics never worked… :wink:

I say it here again – this is only MY OPINION –OK :?:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Our frame is not the strongest and in fast curves they tweak, with this trees this is worse.
I'm not really interested in starting another argument over raked trees, but this does bring up one thing I've often wondered about: how does changing the geometry affect the frame and in particular, the neck?

Normally, I would think that the best way to change the rake of a bike is to do the homework on all the geometry and then cut and reweld the frame. However, I wonder if this, too, puts an undue amount of stress on the neck and other components of the frame?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Welp, . . . just gotta place my 0.02 in the bunch, . . . :D When I first rode my bike after changing to the trees, it did feel unstable because the whole turning aspects of our Big'ole Honda-Monsters has been changed. It's like driving a completely different bike.
Actually I've found that they do like quick changes in direction. For me it's like the turning has been completely opened up. After the change-over, the stock set-up felt restricted. With the new turning aspect, I just had to get used to how "quickly" my bike now responds to these changes in directions. It's not that it doesn't like quick changes in direction. It's more that my perception of how my X "used to respond" in comparison to how it "now responds" is different. My bike now responds much quicker. It took me by surprise at first and left me a little uneasy with the whole thing. Thoughts of giving up on the trees entered my mind as well. It wants to turn fast and I have to be ready for it. Yes, it felt weird, and even unstable at first. However, I bet the first time you jumped on a bike, skates, ski's, jet ski, ect, . . . they all felt a little unstable at first. But once you mastered and overcame the changes, it opened up a whole new world of fun and excitement for you to enjoy. So yes, Mr. Pete, you do have to get used to it. :)
VTXROCKETEER said:
Sure you can say you get used to it – you get used to a splinter in your finger too.
I've done it, and it wasn't something that happen overnight after driving it only a few times. :)

Now I've never experienced the handlebars doing a flip-flop. At first I was getting some wobbling from the flexion caused by my 200 Metz. The trees extended the length of the bike and intensified this problem. However, once I tightened up the shocks, gott'n rid of the stock shocks & springs, and also ('cause some jerk decided to stick a knife in it) I've gott'n rid of my single ply sidewall Metz that was causing the wobble I was experiencing, I've not had this problem. I've put about 4 K on after the change over and have had her up in the 100's, though twisty turns out on some lone Texas roads, . . . still no flip flop of the handlebars. :wink: I don't know.

Also, what's this about
VTXROCKETEER said:
you will see this when a car suddenly stops in front of you…
I'm curious as to what you're finding fault in with this? I've had to both stop quickly, and also move out of the way rather fast a few times myself. I've had no problems at all. With the quicker stearing, my X simply just gets out of the way. However I can admit, this usually happens 'cause I'm admiring the glances from a girl in the car next to me. Hey, I'm a single guy, and no one on here can say that it hasn't happened to them at some point in time. :lol: However, back to the subject. I've not run into any problems. What do you forsee as being problematic with this?
Oh, and just a suggestion, . . . I wouldn't go and try using what Europe's doing as an argument :) This is America, and if we all did what Europe is doing, . . . ewwwww! A bunch of hairy under armed women ridding on the back of our bikes, . . . Hate to think!!! :shock: :lol:
Now this is just my opinion with what I've found with the driving I've done. Have an awesome time and keep ride'n-on guys.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Re: My turn, 6 degree triple trees…

VTXROCKETEER said:
Sure you can say you get used to it – you get used to a splinter in your finger too.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
773 Posts
+6

congradulations, another rider that advises to re-learn the bike. Hey, it took me a while to get used to anything with rear shocks, and how many of you remember the early bikes with the front brake removed? Getting on something with a front brake was another learning curve. Good or Bad, it is different. Don

·
Registered
562 Posts
Gotta love it.

I just love these posts. Stay safe and ride hard (hardtail that is).

Glenn (vtx-treme.com)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: My turn, 6 degree triple trees…

VTXROCKETEER said:
feels funky
So does gettin yer willy wet for the first time .. learned to love that didnt ya? :D

Couple banjo bolts, a brake bleed and phase one is complete. I should get my turn with the trees this weekend :mcrider:

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
With the quicker stearing, my X simply just gets out of the way.
Does da bike actually turn quicker or does it just seem that way in ya head coz it feels quicker?
BTW how much trail on that setup?

·
Registered
370 Posts
:lol: Stumpy, . . . :lol: Dude, . . . Man, . . . you're freak'n crack'n me up!!! :lol:

Nicksterdemus said:
Does da bike actually turn quicker or does it just seem that way in ya head coz it feels quicker?
BTW how much trail on that setup?
I say that it does turn quicker 'cause it just feels like it responds faster to my commands. I can also see why people say it feels tippy. 'Cause if you're not ready for it, it does feel tippy. I know that when I first was driving around, it did feel like this for me. I'm not too sure how to exactly explain it in words, . . . . When you gain movement, you usually have to give up on some stability "at first". I like this analogy. When I first jumped out onto a 2 wheeled bike, it felt uncomfortable when in comparison to the Big-Wheel I had been ridding around. However once I got used to it, it opened up a whole new range of flexability and movement. Now I'm not compairing our X's to a 2 wheeled bike. I'm just using this as an analogy and trying to put it into words what I've found to be true for me.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Let me rephrase this Jay(X)son,

It’s like you put a 1972 suspension in a 2000 vehicle. As I said you get used to it – but it don’t like sudden changes in force. The bike “dive” too much it to it. The VTX is a plump baby and this tree does not help this situation, it just makes it worse.

I’m still not sure what arm pits have to do with triple trees :roll: …anyway, I think you believe Germans drink warm beer too, right? hehehe

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
almost missed...when you can ride a 240 like this, maybe you understand what I mean...

·
Registered
370 Posts
Well, Mr. Pete. :) I've just done a LOT more ridding on my trees than what you've done on yours. (6K with new trees & around 4 K with new adjustments) At first, I had the very same thoughts as you. However, I tend to be very persistent and not give up on things too quickly. With more drive-time and adjustments, I learned to appreciate what they do to & for this bike a LOT more. It's all in an opinion. If they are not for you, then they are not for you. That's simple and fare enough. I just really like what they do with this bike. Have a blessed day now. :wink:

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jay(X)son said:
It's all in an opinion. If they are not for you, then they are not for you. That's simple and fare enough. I just really like what they do with this bike. Have a blessed day now. :wink:
you hit the nail!

Just a question besides the topic...how your bike handles the salt? We had a bike in from Galveston - wow :shock: as we too off the tank, rust...including the frame.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
The bottom line is the 6 degree triple thees do nothing good for the handling of the bike. Ever see a CBR with a raked front end on it ? I've heard it all before...If you like the look,go for it . I doesn't make a bike handle better fast or slow. Its all for show.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Nope, no problems with rust just yet, Mr. Pete. However, I've only been down here for 6 months. Before that I was up in Austin. I'm taking a job to get me back up there in a few weeks. Me no likes it down here. All they've got is a beach, and it's a dirty little 'ole beach at that.

Mr. Silver, . . . they've done good things for the handling of my bike. Now I'm not ridding a crotch-rocket and speeding through the turns, leaning the bike all the way over on it's side, darting between trafic, . . . ect. If I was, I'd go and get me a CBR. I ride for the fun & joy of it all. I've only had this bike for over a year and I've put 19,000 miles on her. Plus, I also own a car as well. If you don't think they are good, . . . then just don't buy them. I'm just giving my own findings from what I've experienced with the real world driving that I do.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts