Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
2004 VTX 1800C
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

Finally after all these years, got my first VTX. It is a 2004 1800C with 41k miles. I'm excited to learn all about these bikes, and this forum looks like the perfect place for that. My plans are to clean it up (this bike has been neglected for sure). Then change the fluids, and finally returning it back to original condition. First item to go are the obnoxious Bub pipes, going to find some OEMs. Going change out the handlebars to something more practical and get rid of the fairing and stereo system. I'll be chatting with you all soon.馃榾

Old Goat
Welcome鈥ont forget we have a classifieds and a want to buy section鈥.what we need is a want to swap鈥ol鈥ood luck

Reactions: rangers4u

Registered
View attachment 206586
Finally after all these years, got my first VTX. It is a 2004 1800C with 41k miles. I'm excited to learn all about these bikes, and this forum looks like the perfect place for that. My plans are to clean it up (this bike has been neglected for sure). Then change the fluids, and finally returning it back to original condition. First item to go are the obnoxious Bub pipes, going to find some OEMs. Going change out the handlebars to something more practical and get rid of the fairing and stereo system. I'll be chatting with you all soon.馃榾
Welcome from central Pa. high atop the Alleghenies. Bub's are no longer made, but many would like to have a set. Other than outrageous shipping costs, you shouldn't have any problem unloading those for a couple $$. Lots of great folks here (and on the VTX Cafe) to help answer your questions. What is your location?

Registered
2004 VTX 1800C
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for the slow response, I was out changing the oil, stupid filter and the rear differential. Thanks for the response, located Cocoa FL.

Registered
Howdy from Texas all the way to Florida. I like cocoa. Everybody likes cocoa. It is like hot chocolate, but for adults. :)
I agree, you should have no problem swapping the exhaust for stock. Same with the ape hangers. Wide audience here!
How old are the tires? Do they need to be replaced due to age?
And you are down south. For crying out loud, please stop saying "you all" (shudder, it feels like a sin to type it myself). We've had "y'all" for centuries. :D
Also, what bikes did you own before (or do you own now)? Out of curiosity. The VTX1800 is a giant beast to transition to. If this is the biggest bike you've owned, take it slow, learn to throw her around in curves, do some slow maneuvers in a parking lot. Watch Jerry Palladino (MotoMan) on YuToob, great police moto instructor.

And of course, congratulations on your new baby! When you ride her, I bet you cannot wipe the grin off your face for hours. :)

Registered
Sorry for the slow response, I was out changing the oil, stupid filter and the rear differential. Thanks for the response, located Cocoa FL.
"Where there's a Ron-Jon's on every corner!" LOL You drained the oil from BOTH plugs, I hope.

Registered
Howdy from Texas all the way to Florida. I like cocoa. Everybody likes cocoa. It is like hot chocolate, but for adults. :)
I agree, you should have no problem swapping the exhaust for stock. Same with the ape hangers. Wide audience here!
And you are down south. For crying out loud, please stop saying "you all" (shudder, it feels like a sin to type it myself). We've had "y'all" for centuries. :D
Also, what bikes did you own before (or do you own now)? Out of curiosity. The VTX1800 is a giant beast to transition to. If this is the biggest bike you've owned, take it slow, learn to throw her around in curves, do some slow maneuvers in a parking lot. Watch Jerry Palladino (MotoMan) on YuToob, great police moto instructor.

And of course, congratulations on your new baby! When you ride her, I bet you cannot wipe the grin off your face for hours. :)
Up here near 'da Burgh, it's YINZ! Fer cryin' out loud, use normal slang English!

Registered
2004 VTX 1800C
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Tires are new, but built in 2012, ha! Hey, I'm part English, so that's how I spell it. I rode it for the first time yesterday, short distance, no plate yet, to warm it up for oil change. That front end is super heavy. I'm good on heavy bikes, I have a Road Glide, R1250GSA, and a Hayabusa. Owned mostly big bikes, Goldwings, and Road Glides. Thanks for the slow maneuver tip.

Registered
2004 VTX 1800C
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did anybody mention SHOP MANUAL鈥
"Where there's a Ron-Jon's on every corner!" LOL You drained the oil from BOTH plugs, I hope.
Yep, both plugs, the rear, most of the oil came out. The front a little. The oil filter was a bear, because the mechanic must have been a bear. Also, did the rear end fluid. Checking spark plugs next. No rear brakes, reservoir looks empty, got to fix that before riding again.

Registered
2004 VTX 1800C
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The honda owner's manual does give minimum information for basic maintanence. I find the honda factory shop manual is well worth it if you are going to do work on your own honda motorcycle yourself.
Sounds like I need to get me a shop manual, basic maintenance can get you only so far...and of this forum is even better.

Registered
2004 VTX 1800C
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you prefer printed, take the PDF to Staples and they will print and bind it for you.
If you prefer printed, take the PDF to Staples and they will print and bind it for you.
EPP_Dog (on this awesome forum) just offered me a free manual. Things are getting better and better. Now to see if my old Harley handlebars will work on this bike, the crazy apes on it are...crazy!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts