Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum and thought I would share my experience with all the others on here.

A little history about the bike. Before this bike I had a 2003 Honda Shadow Ace that I was selling to purchase this bike. The new bike is a 2005 VTX 1300R silver in color. I purchased it on June 6, 2013 with 26,388 miles on it. The items that were already on it were Van and Hines Big Shots, Mustang rider/passenger seats, crash bars, passenger foot boards, passenger backrest, leather bags, and some ugly mirrors that didn't even want to say up.

A few picture from day one:

Once the bike was home I did a few things to it. I put new mirrors on it, different highway pegs, Wal-mart chrome spotlights, new speedometer (couldn't read the original odometer unless it was night out because the LCD display was burnt and looked brown), Lanzar OPTIMC90 speakers/amp (off previous bike I owned), put green LED accent lighting on (currently don't have a picture of them will post that later), made driver backrest (owner had one for the mustang seat but couldn't find it), remade the passenger backrest pad (original one was broken in half), added some wind defectors on the forks (off previous bike I owned), and put on cheap ABS plastic bags (also off previous bike I owned).

After those things where added:

Around August I took a trip with my family on a two week, 6,000 mile ride. We went from Missouri over to California, then from there made our way up Sturgis for the bike rally. After returning I started looking at added a fairing and some new bags (the cheap ones developed a crack in them where it was mounted but I have to say they did last 3 years. So can't complain). After doing the numbers and looking at so many different options for fairings I settled on a Harley Street Glide fairing. I ordered the inner brand new and the outer used because it came with the headlight assembly (I had bought a LED headlight for my Shadow so I really wanted to use it and the VTX headlight housing was to small so I decided I was going to use the Harley headlight).

Now it was time to start building the mounting system for the fairing.

After getting it mounted I started looking at stereo equipment. I ended up buying a pair of Polk 6-1/2" marine speakers and a pair of Polk 4" marine speakers along with adapters for the 6-1/2" speakers. Bought a Kenwood KMR355U marine stereo with a biketronics installation kit. Also added gauge plugs and green turn signal indicator lights in the gauge plugs. Also while I was at it I added the Scootworks Phatrisers II.

Right turn signal active:

Left turn signal active:

----------------------
Continued on next post

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now since the fairing is mounted I decided on painting my bike since the bags and fairing wouldn't match the color of the bike. I still needed to get the Harley hard bags but didn't have the money for them yet. I started with stripping down the bike for paint. While I prepared the tank, both fenders, and fairing for paint Christmas came around and my parents bought me Harley saddlebags. :D So I also got them ready for paint. Also while the bike was torn down I decided to change the oil and coolant since nothing was in the way at this point. I sent off my speedometer to get the LEDs changed to green, turn signal indicators changed to green, and also highbeam light dimmed by jangell (user here on the vtx forums. sorry don't have picture of this right now. Will post one later when I take one.)

A friend and I got everything prepared for paint and he painted all the parts for me. I decided to go with Synergy green (Made for the new Camaro's), White, and silver pin stripping.

Here is a picture of the colors up close before clear was put on:

After the parts were painted it was ready to start putting it back together. While I was putting it back I bought some LED spotlights from http://www.2allbuyer.com and an air horn set. I also worked on polishing up my wheels. When I purchased the bike the wheels were badly pitted and looks horrible.

Rear wheel before and after sanding and polishing.

Front wheel after sanding and polishing.

Spotlights: (second picture is showing off LED headlight and spotlights)

Air Horns:

Now it was time to start mounting the Harley saddlebags. Also I had bought some Ford tear drop taillights to use as my rear turn signals on the saddlebags (since the original one wouldn't fit with the new bags). The lights will be wired up as tail, brake, and turn signal.

I have the mounts built but still have to run a piece from bag to bag under the fender to tie them together to stabilize them. Also still have to paint the mounts.

Covered the original turn signals holes with a chrome sink hole cover it was 1-3/8"

Bags are mounted!!!! :D Now that's my Honda-Glide!!!

The whole process is almost done. I still have wire up the rear turn signals, put the rear tire back on, adjust headlight/spotlights, make a LED taillight, make LED front turn signals, and wire up 4 way hazard flashers.

For now that's all I have planned on doing. I'm sure there will be other things that will be added to it. :D

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOW what a transformation.. well done... looks really good... cheers
Thank you! It really is a transformation from when I bought the bike. I'm really looking forward to riding it this spring when it warms up. Getting really anxious to get back on the saddle!! :D

·
Registered
282 Posts
Lots of progress over the winter. Enjoyed seeing your transformation and making it your own. Great job and looks greats. That green and white combo looks sharp. It will be nice showing it off on rides this spring. Happy for you.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
You got skills, nice paint and very creative use of the inner fairing. Where is that shot taken with the mountains in the background, really pretty area.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You got skills, nice paint and very creative use of the inner fairing. Where is that shot taken with the mountains in the background, really pretty area.
I'm pretty sure that was in Colorado while on my trip but I'm not certain on that one. Its been awhile since I was on that trip lol. I have a bit of a horrible memory. Just checked to make sure where it was. That's the Dillon Pinnacles in Gunderson, CO.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
Hay Kevin welcome. Saint Joseph, ?
Michigan ?
Could you update your profile to show state.
Now to your bike, you've been really busy that's a lot of work and looks really nice.

Doug, Coloma, mi.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hay Kevin welcome. Saint Joseph, ?
Michigan ?
Could you update your profile to show state.
Now to your bike, you've been really busy that's a lot of work and looks really nice.

Doug, Coloma, mi.
Haha thanks. I didn't know my profile didn't have my state on it. I fixed it. It's Saint Joseph, Missouri. And I have been quite busy. :) more to come I'm sure. Lol. I'm addicted!

·
Registered
595 Posts
That is one awesome transformation. I grew up in KC and still get up there often to see family and friends. I am planning on a few rides up that way and would really dig seeing that bad arse bagger in person

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is one awesome transformation. I grew up in KC and still get up there often to see family and friends. I am planning on a few rides up that way and would really dig seeing that bad arse bagger in person
Lol yea its so much better in person! I go to KC a lot because you know there's more there then there is here is st Joe. If you ever visit maybe we could meet up if you wanted to check it out. Maybe go on a ride around here if you would like. I enjoy riding with people vs by myself. Much more enjoyable IMO.

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
Haha thanks. I didn't know my profile didn't have my state on it. I fixed it. It's Saint Joseph, Missouri. And I have been quite busy. :) more to come I'm sure. Lol. I'm addicted!

Darn I wah hoping St joseph Mi, 12 miles from me.
Bike is going to look really nice. But the headlight looks like a HD or Shadow and I like the nistalgia of the slanted front of the Headlight trademark of the VTX. Now to me it looks like a Yahamma or Kawasaki or HD. Mind you this is just my opinion. I'm just teasing you so don't take it serious.
I like chsnges, no two VTX's look alike.

Doug

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Darn I wah hoping St joseph Mi, 12 miles from me.
Bike is going to look really nice. But the headlight looks like a HD or Shadow and I like the nistalgia of the slanted front of the Headlight trademark of the VTX. Now to me it looks like a Yahamma or Kawasaki or HD. Mind you this is just my opinion. I'm just teasing you so don't take it serious.
I like chsnges, no two VTX's look alike.

Doug
The headlight is for a Harley. I had previously purchased a 7 inch LED truck lite that was being sold by Kuryakyn that was sold for the Harleys but I made it work for my Shadow that I no longer own. Since it wouldn't fit into the vtx headlight I decided since I was going with the Harley fairing I would use the headlight housing so I could use this $300 LED headlight. :) that's my logic on going that route. Plus I like the cleaner look since the headlight is part of the fairing. No gap between the headlight and the fairing cut out. But yes now the bike looks more like a Harley. That's why it's called Honda-Glide! :D

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
The headlight is for a Harley. I had previously purchased a 7 inch LED truck lite that was being sold by Kuryakyn that was sold for the Harleys but I made it work for my Shadow that I no longer own. Since it wouldn't fit into the vtx headlight I decided since I was going with the Harley fairing I would use the headlight housing so I could use this $300 LED headlight. :) that's my logic on going that route. Plus I like the cleaner look since the headlight is part of the fairing. No gap between the headlight and the fairing cut out. But yes now the bike looks more like a Harley. That's why it's called Honda-Glide! :D

Thats cool. Just having a little fun since I'm winter stuck and can't ride. I understand the gap thing. I have seen a post in the past where someone did the LED accent to the VTX headlight. But I list the link and was thinking of doing that to mine.
you do have some nice skills after seeing what you are doing. Looking nice. Ps I'd add a headlight extender to the VTX light with the LED accent Just teasing ya!.
I should be able to ride in two months.

Doug

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thats cool. Just having a little fun since I'm winter stuck and can't ride. I understand the gap thing. I have seen a post in the past where someone did the LED accent to the VTX headlight. But I list the link and was thinking of doing that to mine.
you do have some nice skills after seeing what you are doing. Looking nice. Ps I'd add a headlight extender to the VTX light with the LED accent Just teasing ya!.
I should be able to ride in two months.

Doug
Lol I know your teasing. But the headlight isn't LED accented. Its an actual LED headlight. Wish it had some accenting to it but it doesn't. Maybe later.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Very nice ride, I do like the green and white combination you did.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts