Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To All -

The City Council of Myrtle Beach, South Carolina has seen fit to attempt to DESTROY a heritage of biker rallies and gatherings by attempting to pass a series of City of Myrtle Beach Ordinances. You may wish to read the "fine print" for several of the following listed below:
2008-57 - City of Myrtle Beach - Nuisance Gathering Ordinanace
2008-58 - City of Myrtle Beach - Special Event Ordinanace
2008-61 - City of Myrtle Beach - Hotel and Parking Permit Ordinanace
2008-64 - City of Myrtle Beach - Helmet Ordinanace
2008-68 - City of Myrtle Beach - Exhaust Ordinanace

Here is a link to a partial list of proposed City Ordinances.
http://cityofmyrtlebeach.com/proposals.html

Just beware that Big Brother is attempting to regulate our rights, freedoms and enjoyments. This may just be the first steps to be attempted here in South Carolina. I feel certain that South Carolina A.B.A.T.E. Chapters will try to avert too much restriction being placed upon motorcycle enthusiasts, but there is no guarantee of their success. SC bikers will need to step up and show unprecidented support of ABATE to help prevent these Draconian City of Myrtle Beach Ordinances from becoming laws.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I'm with ya! Damn Nazi MB gov't. Even McBride, who wasn't very happy with the rallies, is telling the current communist group that they are screwing up.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
This is all have too say on this subject anymore..
How to Travel Around The City of Myrtle Beach.
For the people going north or south and do not want to be in the traffic or in the City of Myrtle Beach take the 31 Bypass. You can get on the 31 bypass from Hwy 544 and connect to US 22 and exit off near North Myrtle Beach at the Pro Bass Shop. You can bypass The City of Myrtle Beach totally.

·
Registered
440 Posts
How can a city require a helmet when state law says 21 and older doesn't have to wear a helmet?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ranger said:
How can a city require a helmet when state law says 21 and older doesn't have to wear a helmet?
I talked to a judge here in Charleston & he said they can't. no city or county can pass a law that is different from the state law.

·
Registered
591 Posts
NOYZ1 said:
Ranger said:
I talked to a judge here in Charleston & he said they can't. no city or county can pass a law that is different from the state law.
Apparantly the MB city counsel and the city attorney didn't get that memo, because they did.

Hopefully someone with enough $$$ will take the ticket to court and get it overturned and end it.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'm shocked that the city of MB is doing this during an economic downturn. They just lost 2K jobs @ the Hard Rock Theme Park last week when the establishment filed for chapter 11. People are cutting back on taking vacations due to high fuel prices and now MB wants to cut their throats even more by driving out the bike rallies. I think they will find some change of heart come springtime.

I've attended the spring rally and the fall rally nearly every year for the last 6 years running and I was going to attend however, I'm doubtful that I will this week. I think the city council of MB needs a wake up call ...right now before things get too out of hand.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
I'M on a Boycott of The City of Myrtle Beach.
Until spring then I'll see if I'll spend any of my hard earned
over taxed income in that chitty city limits!

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
I cancelled my reservations yestersay. I will however be spending my money at another coastal area that does not discriminate against bikers.

Your loss Myrtle Beach.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I don't agree to boycott MB. I like riding up there on occasion. I say Abate and all SC bikers ought to organize one of their infamous freedom rides up there, with or without helmets (let those who ride decide) and with or without mufflers! Let them write tickets till they get carpel tunnel, then don't pay 'em, request jury trials and do everything in our power to get this garbage struck down! This is total BS. There's already a law suit pending on these bogus ordinances.

·
Registered
591 Posts
You can still enjoy bike week and Myrtle Beach while boycotting the city. The actual CITY of Myrtle Beach is very small. These rules only apply inside the city limits. Just about everything except B&M and DogHouse South is outside these city limits. Come enjoy the Rally, just don't show the city of MB any love! :lol:

·
Registered
440 Posts
CrunkedItUp said:
I don't agree to boycott MB. I like riding up there on occasion. I say Abate and all SC bikers ought to organize one of their infamous freedom rides up there, with or without helmets (let those who ride decide) and with or without mufflers! Let them write tickets till they get carpel tunnel, then don't pay 'em, request jury trials and do everything in our power to get this garbage struck down! This is total BS. There's already a law suit pending on these bogus ordinances.

That is one option with some very good points. But MB like to write tickets and I for one don't have the time to run down to a bogus showing in front of a magistrate in that county. Only problem with not paying a ticket in SC is that you just lost your license, end of story.

The laws will not stand, they can't, since the State issues and controls the license and roads laws. But I am not going to throw my money at a problem that a serious boycott will solve. Not just bikers, i mean don't go to MB at all. The only way to hit crooked people is in the pocket book.
But it doen't matter how we get them to see reason, just that we do. or pack up and move it someplace else. With the our economy going down the crapper, MB and the surrounding areas will be begging people to come back very soon.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Ranger said:
That is one option with some very good points. But MB like to write tickets and I for one don't have the time to run down to a bogus showing in front of a magistrate in that county.
If you're not willing to fight for your rights then you can't be surprised when they're taken away.

Ranger said:
Only problem with not paying a ticket in SC is that you just lost your license, end of story.
Like you said, it won't stand up. The state will have a hard time justifying taking licenses when the MB ordinances are in direct contradiction to the state laws themselves. I'd say that if they took someones license for not paying a fine that is essentially because of an illegal ordinance, it could be appealed to the State Supreme Court. Don't know how far MB is willing to take this, but I think they'd lose if it went far enough.

Ranger said:
The laws will not stand, they can't, since the State issues and controls the license and roads laws. But I am not going to throw my money at a problem that a serious boycott will solve. Not just bikers, i mean don't go to MB at all. The only way to hit crooked people is in the pocket book.
A boycott won't solve the problem. In fact, it's what MB wants. They obviously don't want the bikers there and don't care about the money, otherwise they wouldn't have enacted the ordinances. But thinking that a boycott will work is silly in my opinion. It's like trying to boycott McDonalds. MB doesn't depend on bikers for their livlihood. It is prime beach-front real estate. MB is going to be there forever whether or not we boycott them.

I understand their side of it too. Frankly, I don't blame them for wanting to get rid of the bikers. Those bike rallies have got to be miserable if you live there and aren't into motorcycles. Imagine Jane and John Doe, typical MB residents, and every year four times a year your town gets infested with thousands of loud, obnoxious bikers and their obscenely loud motor bikes, you can't even drive to work or home because the roads are all backed up with bikers, and they're all drinking and partying and carrying on until early in the morning hours ... it's got to be miserable.

I frankly could not care less about the bike rallies. They ought to outlaw those if that's the problem. But I live in South Carolina, and I like to ride up to MB fairly often just because I want to, outside of those painful bike rallies. And I don't want to wear a helmet. And I don't want to change my exhaust pipe. And I value my liberties and my freedoms.

Ranger said:
But it doen't matter how we get them to see reason, just that we do. or pack up and move it someplace else. With the our economy going down the crapper, MB and the surrounding areas will be begging people to come back very soon.
I doubt they'll be begging anyone. And It's nearly impossible to start and maintain a bike rally anywhere else. We had one here in Charleston for 4 years until the promoter could no longer afford the liability insurance required by the city, so he shut the thing down. Not that it was any big deal anyway, because only a scarce few bikers would show up, although it was growing.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Another problem I have with this is that it's a very slippery slope for the helmet law in South Carolina. There are lots of idiots on the state legislature that would like nothing more than to shove a mandatory helmet law down the collective throats of the biker community. If this is allowed to stand in MB, its sets a very unsavory precedent.

And I'm sure we all believe that the ordinances won't stand. But they will stand if we don't actively fight against them. This is America, and the problem with America is that Americans have become complacent and apathetic. It's no longer worth our time to fight for the freedoms we love. Government has grown to epic proportions, laws everywhere. Hell, I've traveled overseas extensively, in most countries I can walk down the street drinking a beer in the wide open if I wanted. But here, I can't even drink a beer at a Fourth of July fireworks display. Talk about irony. Supposed to be celebrating my freedoms, but can't even drink a beer while doing so. Patently absurd. Now they're going to tell me if I want to go to the beach in my state I've got to change my pipe and wear a helmet. What is this nation coming to? Pretty soon it's going to be a law to wipe your butt a minimum of three times after taking crap, and to brush your teeth after every meal.

·
Registered
591 Posts
CrunkedItUp said:
I frankly could not care less about the bike rallies. They ought to outlaw those if that's the problem. But I live in South Carolina, and I like to ride up to MB fairly often just because I want to, outside of those painful bike rallies. And I don't want to wear a helmet. And I don't want to change my exhaust pipe. And I value my liberties and my freedoms.
So, because you could care less about them and they annoy people it should be outlawed? You should run for MB city council. You don't care for the rallies so they can be outlawed, but you want your pipes and no helmet, so that's not ok to outlaw. You can't pick and choose. If your going to fight, fight for freedom, not just the few things you care for.

You don't move next to an airport and complain about airplanes. You don't move to a tourist city and complain about traffic. Just because something annoys you doesn't mean it should be outlawed.

·
Registered
514 Posts
2002_1800C said:
So, because you could care less about them and they annoy people it should be outlawed? You should run for MB city council.
Given the choice between:

1.) outlawing the bike rallies

or

2.)making it illegal to ride up to MB without a helmet or an after market exhaust for the entirety of the rest of the year

I would choose #1. I like to ride up to MB when it's not slam-full of bikes better than I do when it isn't. Just my opinion.

However, I will say that I don't think they should do either. But I do understand that for the people that live in MB that the bike rallies are a tremendous headache. If it was my city I'd probably be equally as put off by the rallies.

2002_1800C said:
You don't care for the rallies so they can be outlawed, but you want your pipes and no helmet, so that's not ok to outlaw.
There are a few problems with your argument.

First, no one has tried to outlaw the bike rallies. It's an imaginary threat.

Secondly, the South Carolina state law doesn't outlaw aftermarket exhausts or mandate helmets. If the state law doesn't mandate these things, then the city of MB has very limited authority to do so (hardly none).

However, they do have the right to outlaw the rallies in their city. You only have the the right to do something to the extent that it doesn't infringe upon the rights of others. Ten thousand bikers raising hell in your city four times a year infringes upon those people's rights. Me choosing to not wear a helmet doesn't infringe upon ANYONES rights. And my loud aftermarket exhaust makes me more noticeable in traffic, which keeps me safer as well. Telling me I can't have it infringes upon my rights.

2002_1800C said:
You can't pick and choose. If your going to fight, fight for freedom, not just the few things you care for.
Well, I disagree. I CAN pick and choose. However, the only freedoms in jeopardy here are the freedoms to ride a motorcycle without a helmet or an aftermarket exhaust in the MB city limits. When they try to outlaw the rallies I might consider hopping on the protest bandwagon, but right now that is just a fictional argument.

2002_1800C said:
You don't move next to an airport and complain about airplanes. You don't move to a tourist city and complain about traffic. Just because something annoys you doesn't mean it should be outlawed.
But if enough of the people of the city think the airport should be shut down, or the traffic problem should be fixed, they have the right to take action. And if the people of MB in general agree that the rallies are not desirable, then they have the right to shut them down. They have more of a right to that then to tell me I gotta wear a helmet if I don't want to.

·
Registered
591 Posts
CrunkedItUp said:
But if enough of the people of the city think the airport should be shut down, or the traffic problem should be fixed, they have the right to take action. And if the people of MB in general agree that the rallies are not desirable, then they have the right to shut them down. They have more of a right to that then to tell me I gotta wear a helmet if I don't want to.
Here is where the problem lies. The majority of MB tax payers WANT the rallies here. When Mayor Rhodes was campaigning he was all for the rallies because it has always been a hot topic. McBride was against them. Now 6 individuals took it upon themselves to get rid of them. This was not the majority speaking, this was 6 INDIVIDUALS speaking for a minority of residents.

Outlawing the rallies is not fictional. Why do you think these laws were placed into effect? To get rid of the rallies. you really think they put a helmet law in effect because they were worried about biker's safety? They bluntly state the real reason for these laws is to get rid of the rallies. True they can't outlaw the rally, but they found a way around it.

Nothing about the rallies infringes on other's rights. It may make it inconvenient for a couple weeks, but that's part of living in a tourist town.

I guess we just disagree on how much power the government should have over our day to day lives. If it isn't breaking existing laws, or endangering people's lives then the government should keep their nose out of it. If everything that annoyed people was outlawed, we wouldn't be a free country.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts