Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I own a VTX 1800c. I am not tech inclined so asking for help. I went to change the battery yesterday and when I took it off, (looked like the original, dirty and grimy) a 7 or so inch ground wire fell off from the ground post. Looked like it had dry rotted. Now this is not the main ground that goes on the post, looked like someone had rigged it up before me to ground something....I just want to know what it went to. I have included pics for the right side of the bike, I assume where the ground wire originated. I have no idea what the parts are so assuming someone can look at the pics and see some aftermarket part that needs grounding, and why the original owners would rig a extra ground wire to the post. The bike has Vance and Hines after market pipes, and looks like original air filter. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Could have been a tuner, a run-turn-brake setup, accessories.......... Who's to say?
You are correct, though, that the main ground for the bike would not have just fallen off or been a small gauge wire.
I would just clean up the connections really well, tighten the new battery in with sockets - NOT Screwdrivers!
Probably should check the main grounding points for the bike and clean them up per this walk through.... Bad grounding will cause all sorts of weird oddities in the bike's performance.
http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/electrical/ground-fix-for-vtx-1800/

Sent from my... wait - No free advertising here!

·
Registered
13,183 Posts
I do not have a 1800, but the 1st and/or 2nd year had a Main ground wire to the engine
and a smaller gauge wire to a frame ground bolt near the brake pressure control valve.
My guess you are talking about 2002-2003 model
Parts fiche---bookmark it...
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/2003/VTX1800C+A/BATTERY/parts.html.
Part #7 is the Ground cable with large and small (Secondary ground) wires..
Ground Fix on the 1800 Step by Step or on Bare's site.. Bookmark Bare's site...
Go through the vtxoa 1800 section... Learn about it....Things that fail---try to prevent failure..
With this broken wire---does your 1800 show any sign of life???

·
Registered
734 Posts
A lot of people tend to ground straight to the battery when they add anything. Especially when it's close to the battery anyway.

It's the best way to be sure that you get a good ground on whatever item you add.

Reactions: nate6966
1 - 4 of 4 Posts