Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
I try to watch the NASCAR road races. The one in California (Sonoma?) is one of my favorite races of any type.
The cars can touch, unlike open-wheel. They take up a lot of track since they're pretty big for race cars.
They sound the way I think cars should sound.
Elevation changes really add something to the dynamics of a 3,400 lb. car
If I were a racer I'd want to win that one because it puts a little more in the hands (and feet!) of the driver and a little less in engineering.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Remember Spike, tickets sold does not equal butts in the seats. We went yesterday and only stayed a little while due to the unbearable heat and humidity. That is part of the problem having this race in July or August in Indiana where it can be 90+ degrees with 70+% humidity. There were heat advisaries out all over central Indiana and I think that kept people away.

NASCAR should also look at using the road course at Indy to mix it up. Also, we have tickets to the Red Bull Air Race coming to IMS in October. If IMS can make a killing with that event, dropping the NASCAR race may seem appealing and a revenue replacement.

http://www.redbullairrace.com/en_US/event/indianapolis-2016

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
NASCAR has been in trouble for quite some time now. Yesterday's snooze fest and the empty stands didn't help its cause at all. I grew up in NC, just about 15 miles from Charlotte Motor Speedway and have been a fan since I was a kid. However, I have been disillusioned with NASCAR for many years now and have yet to watch a complete race in several years except for those that I have attended. This year I will go to two, Charlotte this fall and Darlington in Sept. I have a buddy that loves NASCAR and I go with him to the races but I don't enjoy them like I used to.
I have only been to Daytona, once... in the pits for the Fire Cracker 400.. Years ago.

but this past winter, I was in South Carolina... riding my motorcycle and rode past Darlington raceway by accident , No Joke. NO big signs before or after the track..

I did stop and take a few photo's.. of the outside.

·
Registered
12,797 Posts
Remember Spike, tickets sold does not equal butts in the seats. We went yesterday and only stayed a little while due to the unbearable heat and humidity. That is part of the problem having this race in July or August in Indiana where it can be 90+ degrees with 70+% humidity. There were heat advisaries out all over central Indiana and I think that kept people away.
I can't disagree that some people stayed home due to the heat. No doubt it can be tough and perhaps impossible to enjoy the racing when it is that hot.

However, I must say that I have been to Talladega when they used to run in July there, and empty seats were very few and far between. I have also attended many July races at Daytona in the past, and still experienced heavy attendance with very few empty seats. No where is hotter than those two places. This was several years ago however.

I believe it is the decline in popularity of the NASCAR brand of racing that is primarily to blame, for most of the reasons already listed in the previous posts.

·
Super Moderator
63,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Sorry, the weather excuse doesn't fly. If you spent the money on it, you go. My brothers and mother live right there in Indianapolis. My brother is on the Lawrence PD and on the joint task force that guards the races. They were told that ticket sales were less than 25% sold. The track needs 25% to break even, this was all in the papers my brother told me. So, the low seat count had nothing to do with the weather

·
Super Moderator
63,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I used to take my son to the Chicagoland race. When they had a Kids area and we could buy practice day tickets it was great for a 5-7 year old. He didn;t have the attention span to do a whole race. So we went, watched a few laps, then went out to the kids area had something to eat and let Cian get in the display cars and have fun. Then go back in to watch the cars again. We had a blast. Then, 3 years ago, no more kids area. 2 years ago, no more practice tickets, you had to buy all 3 days worth. Screw you NASCAR, you want more asses in the seats, you don't limit sales buy making it mandatory to buy all 3 days. My son was really getting into the NASCAR thing, but since we couldn't take him, he's lost interest in it.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
I think NASCAR has its issues, but Indianapolis for sure does......people just dont seem to want to go there.....Nascar in decline, Lost the Moto GP race, Indy 500 attendance still decent.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2013/11/25/Facilities/Charlotte-Motor-Speedway.aspx

CMS eliminated 40k seats from their facility. The article states that they are considering it, but that was in 2013. They did eliminate the stands/suites and built a concrete pad for motorhomes.

http://www.wbtv.com/story/27608015/charlotte-motor-speedway-pulling-out-41000-seats-eliminating-diamond-tower-terrace

The first few lines in this article state what I was told that Bruton Smith himself said, "empty seats on TV look bad." Back in the 90's I would take leave for 10 days in May and work security at CMS. I worked mainly Diamond Tower, the seats that are now gone. Back then, the place was packed for the all star race and the 600.

Here is a good quote from the article as well;

"And it's not just happening to racetracks.
Baseball's Cleveland Indians Progressive Field made renovations that eliminated 5,000 seats, and the NFL's Washington Redskins FedEx Field cut 12,000 seats.
Stadium and track owners say it's to make room for "premium hospitality." That includes those amenities that improve the fan experience, such as wider seats, restaurants, shops, even swimming pools where the stands used to be.
It also doesn't hurt to make events appear to be at or near capacity again."

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
One of the big draws about NHRA was that a one price general admission ticket got you into the pits, where you can get within 10 ft. of the cars while they are being worked on, and the drivers actually will take lines of fans for autographs after a round. If you want to do that.

·
Registered
12,797 Posts
One of the big draws about NHRA was that a one price general admission ticket got you into the pits, where you can get within 10 ft. of the cars while they are being worked on, and the drivers actually will take lines of fans for autographs after a round. If you want to do that.
Was at Maple Grove a few years ago standing about 30 feet behind John Force's car when they fired up the engine. Getting a face full of nitro methane is delightful. :laugh:

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Was at Maple Grove a few years ago standing about 30 feet behind John Force's car when they fired up the engine. Getting a face full of nitro methane is delightful. :laugh:
No,no,no nitro tastes like ****, smells ok though........NHRA best bang for the buck easily.

·
Registered
502 Posts
If I were in the Illinois area I'd look into the Continental Tire Challenge at Road America in August.
Depending on the event there will be a variety of sports cars (Le Mans) on the track at the same time.
The prototypes use a lot of aero and high corner speed.
The GT-classes are based on production cars. There a variety of engine configurations. Different number of cylinders, engine size and placement.
Corvette, Porsche, BMW, Ferrari, Ford.
They have lights, wipers, rain slicks when they need them and the closed cars have to have a/c. They're real cars.
I don't think they have horns. I heard the #3 Corvette use the loud pedal in the pits to let pedestrians know they were blocking the road.
There's lots of passing because it's road racing and the different classes are mixed together within a few laps.
And I understand that Road America has some great food.
http://www.imsa.com/discover-imsa/the-series

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Maybe I'll take Cian to these....after all his grandfather used to race the strips
I don't think you'd be disappointed with NHRA or the Le Mans racing suggested by TurnOne. My son (who is grown now) loved the Drags when he was a kid. Just a grand spectacle. And, Le Mans style racing is a tremendous show of beautiful cars and speed.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Maybe I'll take Cian to these....after all his grandfather used to race the strips

I have taken the kids to the Summer Nationals, $56 per person reserved seating. $20 parking, worth it. I think GA was 39.00. Pits, everything. You can take your own drinks, food, snacks. Very fan friendly.

·
Registered
56 Posts
No,no,no nitro tastes like ****, smells ok though........NHRA best bang for the buck easily.
I have taken the kids to the Summer Nationals, $56 per person reserved seating. $20 parking, worth it. I think GA was 39.00. Pits, everything. You can take your own drinks, food, snacks. Very fan friendly.
NHRA is the way to go!

http://vid96.photobucket.com/albums/l187/Cerberus1960/DSCN0464_zps2bxpaxes.mp4

Although, Gran Prix isn't bad either.

http://vid96.photobucket.com/albums/l187/Cerberus1960/VIDEO0286_zpsovsdqiq8.mp4

Still, there is something pure about racing from Point A to Point B. Plus, with the nitro rail dragsters, you get to totally feel the race.

Connie Kalitta in the first photo, and my son with Courtney Force.

Attachments

·
Registered
377 Posts
When I lived on Long Island,NY my son and I used to chase the NASCAR modifieds all over the northeast. They raced primarily on those little bullring tracks of 3/8 & 1/4 miles. They almost always put on a great show. Names like Richie Evans, Bugs Stevens, Jerry Cook, Geoff Bodine, Jimmy Spencer were the big dogs. We still like NASCAR, we went to the Pepsi 400 13 yrs in a row while we lived in Ft. Lauderdale. Now we really enjoy going to the dirt tracks here in Ohio and the rest of the midwest to watch the World of Outlaw Sprint Cars. If you don't mind getting dirty and eating a little along the way it's a wonderful show. The Outlaws don't lift going into the corners when they race at Eldora Speedway. Tony Stewart has kept up the tradition of Eldora and there is usually a full house for their shows.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
I think there are 2 major NHRA events per year, within a couple hrs. of Chi-town. One is in Madison, I know. End of Sept. They just had one in Joliet a couple weeks ago, called the Rt. 66 Nat'l's. Then there's the Granddaddy of 'em all, in Indy, Labor Day weekend.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts