Honda VTX Forum banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
What clue does NASACAR need to get? Help me out. I am on the fan council and would happily share your fix with the powers that be.

It was hotter than hell down there yesterday. Moving this race to September will make a huge difference.
Doesn't seem to be just this race where they are losing fans, most of the races the stands look only about half full. My friends & myself that have been NASCAR fans for 40+ years don't like the "segment" racing this year. And while we are all for safety it seems like 8-10 caution laps for debris on the track that a guy in a pickup truck picks up is a bit excessive & drags the race out too much! JMHO!

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
ok, you asked..

No pushing at restarts.. Period. park them.
Sunday ... many wrecks were from above.

roll bar foams and water bottle yellow flags are bad for the sport.

I have been a fan since 1979.... Yes I viewed the FIRST live TV race.
but 2 years ago.. I started to only watch a select few races...
the INDY race.. I only watched it because it was raining in my area.. and could not ride..

·
Super Moderator
63,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
BULL CRAP weather MY ASS!!!! Fans sit in Wriggley field when it;s 110 out and 200% humidity to watch the last place Cubs for DECADES and it was ALWAYS SOLD OUT! Stop blaming the low tickets to weather at every track W9VD. Weather has little to NITHING to do with it! Tickets are purchased months in advance usually, not week of. Plus, Sept ain't that much cooler. I've listed as well as many others here and every race forum on the net the problems of why we ain't watching their crap show any more. Yellow flags for hot dog wrappers when their star needs it. F1 cars drive through SHARDS OF CARBON FIBER and they do just fine. Yellows thrown at the late stages to promote crashes to interest the brain dead short-attention span new fans. Sorry, but I LOVED a race that went flag to flag with NO CAUTIONS/NO CRASHES! "Competition Yellows", WTF!!!!!! If a team doesn't want to stop for tires, they roll that die. Don't stop so they all can change tires, the teams know how long a set of tires last at each track with all the practices! Now these stupid "Stages", the last straw, I haven't seen a race all year once I heard that crap rule at Daytona

NASCAR is dead

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
What clue does NASACAR need to get? Help me out. I am on the fan council and would happily share your fix with the powers that be.

It was hotter than hell down there yesterday. Moving this race to September will make a huge difference.
If you are on the fan council and you think the only thing wrong is the time of year that race is held, then NASCAR is in bigger doo doo than they are aware of.

I grew up in NASCAR country, Kannapolis NC. I attended races at Charlotte starting in 78 and have been to many tracks and loved the sport. Then Bill France Jr died and Brian took over and the skid began.

Matt Kenseth wins one race and championship and Brian thinks the point system must be changed to something gimmicky. Thus the first iteration of the "Chase" format was hatched. It sucked, and so has every other form of the abomination called the Chase. BTW, never been a Jeff Gordon fan but that guy got screwed more than anyone because of the "Chase" system. Don't believe me, look it up. And now this crap called "segment" racing. Another abomination given to us by NASCAR. Yeah, I know the so called driver council had some input to bring about that change. Guess what? It is NOT about what the drivers want, it is about what the fans want. If you don't give the fans what they want, they will not come. The drivers missed the boat on that one, but then again, it's all about them and not the fans, right?

Then the what I call the ultimate smack in the face to the old guard racers and fans alike happened. Kyle Busch was allowed to miss a large portion of the season and then compete for and win the "everybody gets a trophy" championship? What a frigging joke that was. Same goes for when Tony was allowed the same "waiver." Sounds like somebody needed their safe space.

Remember when the old guard either raced hurt, or if they couldn't, they didn't win championships. All of them raced hurt, Ricky Rudd had to have his eyes taped open one year. Earnhardt raced Watkins Glen with a broken collar bone. Waltrip, Bonnet, Tim Richmond, the Allisons, and many others asked no quarter when injured and was given none by NASCAR.

Too many cookie cutter tracks. Bruton Smith was allowed to buy up great tracks like N. Wilkesboro, Rockingham, for their race dates and then built more cookie cutter tracks like Texas, Vegas, changed Atlanta, etc. Now, even tracks like Bristol, which used to be impossible to get fall tickets for, have stands nearly empty. Richmond got changed from a great bull-ring arena to what they call 3/4 mile but it is just like the other D-ovals.

I can give you more but that is more than enough for this long time fan to call it quits as far as NASCAR goes.

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
as for weather.... Daytona July 4th... its always hot in Florida in July.. and HUMID.
YES, I have been there for that race. several times.

late 80's I was a mechanic for a small team for the Paul Revere 250 motorcycle race.. right after the Firecracker 400... I watched that race from the Pits. I got to shake hands with many drivers that weekend. :)

·
Registered
950 Posts

NASCAR royally screwed up moving this race to September 8 or 9 next year unless they are trying to kill it. They scheduled next year's race on the same day as the traditional start of the NFL season. That will not help ratings and if the Colts are at home that day, God speed getting around Indy and people showing up.

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
best way to take out a competitor ... push him across the starting line.. sideways. at a buck 50... and 6 others also.

fyi.. I turned the Indy race off with 12 to go... that is how much I wanted to see more crashes...

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
This THREAD will outlive Nascar.

·
Registered
25,836 Posts
NASCAR Putting Tornado Strength Spin On Declining Sponsors, Fans

NASCAR cuts weekend schedule to save money, ease travel

Here is the real reason.

SPONSOR WOES
Kyle Larson, the top young driver in the sport, lost Target last week as his sponsor in 2018. Kenseth, Danica Patrick, Kurt Busch and Kasey Kahne are among the drivers with uncertain futures because of various sponsor issues. With TV ratings and attendance flatlining, teams are struggling to put together multiyear deals with a committed corporate backer that will fund the program
"I think the traditional model is going to go extinct soon, and it could be argued that it's here right now," 2012 champion Brad Keselowski said. "The traditional model (of just) being a consumer brand sponsor that just wants to see a car out there with their name out it will go extinct in the next couple years. That's not always a bad thing. There's other models that work and have proven to be successful."​

Let me clue you corporate whores at NASCAR in to a little secret.

People want to see real racing.

I know, who'da thunk it, right?

We don't like having the rules twisted so that all we ever see are 200 mph parades.

Go back to run what ya brung, let the talent speak for itself and back the **** away from the feminization of a traditionally male dominated sport targeting a predominantly male audience.

It's that fLucking simple you morons.

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
NASCAR Putting Tornado Strength Spin On Declining Sponsors, Fans

NASCAR cuts weekend schedule to save money, ease travel

Here is the real reason.
SPONSOR WOES
Kyle Larson, the top young driver in the sport, lost Target last week as his sponsor in 2018. Kenseth, Danica Patrick, Kurt Busch and Kasey Kahne are among the drivers with uncertain futures because of various sponsor issues. With TV ratings and attendance flatlining, teams are struggling to put together multiyear deals with a committed corporate backer that will fund the program
"I think the traditional model is going to go extinct soon, and it could be argued that it's here right now," 2012 champion Brad Keselowski said. "The traditional model (of just) being a consumer brand sponsor that just wants to see a car out there with their name out it will go extinct in the next couple years. That's not always a bad thing. There's other models that work and have proven to be successful."​
Let me clue you corporate whores at NASCAR in to a little secret.

People want to see real racing.

I know, who'da thunk it, right?

We don't like having the rules twisted so that all we ever see are 200 mph parades.

Go back to run what ya brung, let the talent speak for itself and back the **** away from the feminization of a traditionally male dominated sport targeting a predominantly male audience.

It's that fLucking simple you morons.
Smokey... an extremely smart car builder. loved his 67 Chevelle. 7/8 scale.:)
the book was a good read.

·
Registered
203 Posts
They need to let them race.

They need to actually race something that looks even remotely like a car you can buy at the local dealer.

They need to allow the teams to choose the tire brand they wish to run. I know, Goodyear doesn't like to get spanked by Hoosier.

And this segmented BS needs to go away. Let them run. Endurance should be part of it.

And while you are at it, restrictor plates should be done away with to.

The points system should be geared more towards actual wins and not just running laps.

I have not watched a full race this year. It is far too confusing now.

Just let them race to the finish and may the best man win.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,792 Posts

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
another story.. his 66 Chevelle.. the fuel tank was removed (not legal ) Smokey put in the back.. and drove the car to his garage just down the street... with no gas tank..

over 5 gallons in the frame ...

·
Super Moderator
63,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
It's not just "The need to let them race..." it's more like "They need to let each company build their own car and own engines...." Simple rules for engines;
"8 cylinder, normally aspirated engine with McLaren EFI module."

That's all you need. If the Ford engineers can get 873hp and the Chevy engineers can only find 800, then guess what Chevy needs to work more hours to find that power. They've made NASCAR into the old IROC series by making the cars identical in every way except paint colors. Yeah, there will be races when one manufacturer will win every weekend, it was like that before, but the others played catch-up and one of them would then win several in a row. That's how it worked and we watched, hell we were glued to the TV every weekend. I still have not watched 1 race this year flag to flag. I've watched the start of the Daytona 500 and the start of the Indy 400(mainly to see my brother a LEO there in Indy )

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
They need to allow the teams to choose the tire brand they wish to run. I know, Goodyear doesn't like to get spanked by Hoosier.

Were you a fan when NASCAR did allow Hoosier to supply tires? I was and a couple of things happened. One is, Hoosier didn't always spank Goodyear. Both companies started bringing inferior tires to the track. Bill Elliot was quoted at the time about it, he said that racing on those tires was like riding around in a covered wagon full of dynamite with kids playing with matches in the back. It accelerated Goodyear creating and perfecting their racing radial tire; which was the eventual end of Hoosier in Cup racing.

http://adage.com/article/news/hoosier-steering-nascar-tire-war/89233/
http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2016/9/29/tire-war-goodyear-hoosier-north-wilkesboro-race-dale-earnhardt.html

Hoosier was too small of a company, won too few races, and could not afford to stay in Cup. Not to mention safety of the drivers was as risk due to questionable engineering by both companies.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Watched the "race" today & I don't think it was extremely hot in Mich. but the stands only looked about half full to me!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Where you a fan when NASCAR did allow Hoosier to supply tires? I was and a couple of things happened. One is, Hoosier didn't always spank Goodyear. Both companies started bringing inferior tires to the track. Bill Elliot was quoted at the time about it, he said that racing on those tires was like riding around in a covered wagon full of dynamite with kids playing with matches in the back. It accelerated Goodyear creating and perfecting their racing radial tire; which was the eventual end of Hoosier in Cup racing.

http://adage.com/article/news/hoosier-steering-nascar-tire-war/89233/
http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2016/9/29/tire-war-goodyear-hoosier-north-wilkesboro-race-dale-earnhardt.html

Hoosier was too small of a company, won too few races, and could not afford to stay in Cup. Not to mention safety of the drivers was as risk due to questionable engineering by both companies.
Yes, I was a fan then.

There are more brands than just Hoosier and Goodyear. Firestone could be in the mix.

My point was, it should be up to the team and what they choose to run. It is all a part of strategy.

This ho-hum system they have now sucks because it is keeping the teams from innovating as well as keeps the competition to a minimum.

·
Super Moderator
63,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Yes, tire choice is another part, one that even Formula 1 is considering to go back to. If the rules make it so that each team must build the engines/frames the exact same way and use the exact same tires then we get parades not races. There needs to be elements of chance brought back into racing. By this I don't mean safety, I mean choices of what tires, what oils, what fuel to use etc....

PS.....DITCH THE EFFING "GREEN" RACING CRAP! Racing is not a tree hugging sport, go back to straight gasoline

61 - 80 of 84 Posts