Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my National Cycle (Paladin) Highway Bars from HDL today. (Ordered just before the fourth and got hem today. With the holiday and weekend that was super fast shipping. But I have a question about the installation on my 2005 1300S.

The right (brake pedal) side went fairly smoothly. Everything fit and bolted up nicely. The left (shifter side) also wasn't bad but I ran into an interference problem with a holddown for the clutch cable on the frame. There are two of these holddowns on the fram for the clutch cable. I unhooked the lower holddown so that the clutch cable could be moved out of the way of the upper mount on the left highway bar. The bottom of the upper mount sits just above that holddown. I suppose that I could have left the cabe in place but I was afraid that the U-bolt would have squished it and I would have problems down the road.

Has anyone else run into this problem? If so, how did you handle it. The instructions don't even mention the cable.

Thanks in advance for your help.
John

·
Registered
230 Posts
Do you have an 07?

It seems like this is a problem with the 07's. I got a hold of NC and they are sending a longer UBolt that works better. I actually, for hte meantime, got a ubolt from Home Depot that was way long and cut it down to fit. It looks pretty good and is solid. I will probably switch it out with the NC one once it gets here since theirs is black and matches the bike frame better since the ubolt from the store is steel. Anyhow, get in touch with NC and let them know. They can send you the Ubolt, plus maybe they can make a seperate order in the future for the 07's so guys like us don't have to deal with this in the future.

Curtis

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess that I am not sure how a longer u-bolt would help. The problem that I see is if the clutch cable is between the upper mount and the frame then it could crush the sheath on the clutch cable and cause the cable to bind and break. Is your clutch cable between the frame and the upper mount?

I will give them a call in the morning to see if they have any suggestions. I did send them an email before I ordered them to see if they could tell me whether there were any interference problem with the HK 3" Big Straights. Their reply was they can't test every aftermarket part. I wnet ahead and ordered them and fitment was not a problem with the exhaust or my Custom World Lowers.
John

·
Registered
230 Posts
oh, my bad

Oh yes, I see. I did leave the clutch cable in place and even left the clip in place and put the ubolt and mount over it. I tightened it all pretty good and it's not binding, nor does it seem like it's pressing the clutch cable too hard. The clutch feels nice and loose just like before putting on the bars. I see your point and I thought of it too and just tightened it slowly and it seemed ok. Maybe I got lucky though. Some bikes act different even though they are supposed to be the same, ya know. Good luck and I hope they have some good ideas. I just didn't want to leave my clutch cable too loose and so I didn't change anything, but have only gone a few hundred miles since I put them on, but so far no problems.
Curtis

G

·
Initially I put the clutch cable inside the u-bolt. It didn't seem to restrict the cable. When I had to replace the cable, I left it outside the u-bolt and used a black pull tie to secure it to the down tube. Works good.

·
Old Goat
26,260 Posts
I have em and did not put the cable inside the clamp I just think thats looking for trouble, I just removed the clip that was in the way and let it bump. .02 Good luck

·
Registered
417 Posts
I removed the clips that hold the clutch cable in place on the downtube. Then installed the Paladin using the U-bolt. (Got four chrome acorn nuts to give it a "finished" look).

When I attempted to re-attach the clips to the downtube to hold the cable, I saw it wasn't going to fit well, so I used tie wraps to secure the clutch cable. As it worked out, the tie wrap is attaching the cable to the U-bolt ... that gave the best fit and hides the tie wrap.

I agree with those that say putting the clutch cable inside the U-bolt attachment is just asking for trouble.

·
Old Goat
26,260 Posts
+1 on the acorn nutz I forgot about them , it is a nice touch. The cable needs to be able to move with the bike and not restricted I also used cable ties but loosely. have a safe one.

AZVTXtra said:
I removed the clips that hold the clutch cable in place on the downtube. Then installed the Paladin using the U-bolt. (Got four chrome acorn nuts to give it a "finished" look).
When I attempted to re-attach the clips to the downtube to hold the cable, I saw it wasn't going to fit well, so I used tie wraps to secure the clutch cable. As it worked out, the tie wrap is attaching the cable to the U-bolt ... that gave the best fit and hides the tie wrap.

I agree with those that say putting the clutch cable inside the U-bolt attachment is just asking for trouble.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts