Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Sept I am riding from Long Island to St. Louis to St. Paul then back home. I remember a while back some fellow riders told me about a website that specializes in routes for motorcycles which I have not found. I am writing to ask what, if any, special websites are being used to plan a multi-state ride. Thanks

·
Registered
994 Posts
This is one...

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
If you, or someone you know is a Triple A member they are very helpful with trip planning for specific vehicles. Things like pulling a trailer, RVs, motorbikes, etc.. AMA (again, for members) has similar services. September is a great month for tripping out. Enjoy.

·
Super Moderator
64,298 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm from Long Island as well. I plan on some upstate September rides but the 1300C is killing my back. So much so that I'm now looking into getting a Street Glide. I would like to take some long road trips but I just don't see doing it on my 1300. Is that what you are doing? I have tried a few things but I guess for me the 1300 is not going to be a road tripper. Good luck on your ride

·
Registered
10,251 Posts
I'm from Long Island as well. I plan on some upstate September rides but the 1300C is killing my back. So much so that I'm now looking into getting a Street Glide. I would like to take some long road trips but I just don't see doing it on my 1300. Is that what you are doing? I have tried a few things but I guess for me the 1300 is not going to be a road tripper. Good luck on your ride
A couple hundred $ spent on a backrest is priceless, and MANY 1300's have been ridden millions of miles with them.

Reactions: Blast

·
Registered
2008 1300T
1,231 Posts

Stock seat? Look at getting a Mustang, Corbin or Ultimate. I have a Mustang with a backrest, I use a sheepskin and for the longer rides I hide an AirHawk under it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I also have a 1300C, but I have a mustang seat. When I first got it I was on a 5 hour trip and my back ached when done. I made some Risers, installed Glen's clutch pull relief and adjusted my highway pegs and I've done a 6 1/2 hour ride and my back felt great like I could probably do quite a few more hours. Don't give up, small changes can make a world of difference.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Aside from a comfortable saddle It's all about your neutral position. Meaning when you are sitting on the bike in 'down the hi-way' position you are not reaching or straining to do what you have to do. Once you get that figured out, you can easily go 500 miles/day.

·
Registered
10,251 Posts
I also have a 1300C, but I have a mustang seat. When I first got it I was on a 5 hour trip and my back ached when done. I made some Risers, installed Glen's clutch pull relief and adjusted my highway pegs and I've done a 6 1/2 hour ride and my back felt great like I could probably do quite a few more hours. Don't give up, small changes can make a world of difference.
Long rides as a wingman to a nutjob will get to you as well, LOL!:D

Reactions: Mechajob

·
Registered
10,251 Posts
Do I smell a good story coming up? :)
C'mon, don't leave us hanging.
It was about the W. by GOD Va. ride last month where I had bike electrical problems on the way down. I'm glad I had him as my wing man. Nothing more, sorry.

Reactions: Lou_VTX

·
Registered
151 Posts
It was about the W. by GOD Va. ride last month where I had bike electrical problems on the way down. I'm glad I had him as my wing man. Nothing more, sorry.
Fran, your a great Wingman to have as well, id ride with you any day. You can carve up the twisties as good as anyone in my book.

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
426 Posts
I miss maps. Programs that drop roads, never show some, pick your route, ..... bleh. Open the map look for the curvy roads, try to see some stuff on or near your route that may need a look see...
yes, gps is more convenient, but time spent picking a route is a good thing to me.

Poor man back rest is a duffel or some other travel bag strapped on the back seat.
Air hawk helped me a lot

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have a new (2020) Tom-Tom unit set up on my handlebars. You have to make sure you down load the latest "maps" to your unit before taking off. It gives you construction, detours and many other useful info, but the only curves it shows are the ones coming right up on you. Not a bad unit for what it is and it gets me from here to there well enough.

I have a Mustang two piece, wide vintage seat with back rest. I also have a rather comfy, custom made foam cushion for a bit extra on those long rides. ;)

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I'm not really into GPS gadgets because i don't really take long trips but i wonder, don't they have apps for all this for phones these days? I have drawers full of obsolete Tech stuff, which reminds me i have to make some trips to the dumpster. o_O

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
About 6 years ago when I was living in St. Louis (Stl) I rode my 1800s to visit friends in Mississippi, down to Miami, through Raleigh NC, over to Virginia Beach, up the east coast to Long Island then back to Stl. My bike is just made for cruising' - the weight and balance make it an incredible pleasure to ride. Some of our fellow riders disscuss seats and backrests below. For some reason my butt still fits comfortably into my original Honda seat! Whenever I think about changing it I always end up asking my self why - I really have no complains with what I have. I do put my backrest on my bike, then set a travel bag on the seat and strap it to the backrest. When I have an open road I can lean back just enough to feel the bag. I am now in my 70's and as I have previously alluded to I want to make this trip now as my body is suggesting I may not be able to safely handle my bike for an interstate trip too much longer.

Riding upstate NY sounds great to me. While travelling upstate I found a free "Motorcycle Touring Map: Catskills, Hudson River Valley, Poconos to Williamsport, PA" produced by WILDRIDES.INFO(?). It is an incredible foldout map; check it out. One of the clubs here on LI I rode with ride way too fast for me and does not practice safe riding in a group. If you are interested in making a ride together let me know. Cheers

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is a great atlas showing all the great motorcycle roads as given by fellow motorcyclists
Chicago-Spike: from what I have found this atlas was published for Harley Riders in 2009. Do you think the map and/or roads may be somewhat outdated?

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
About 6 years ago when I was living in St. Louis (Stl) I rode my 1800s to visit friends in Mississippi, down to Miami, through Raleigh NC, over to Virginia Beach, up the east coast to Long Island then back to Stl.

Riding upstate NY sounds great to me. While travelling upstate I found a free "Motorcycle Touring Map: Catskills, Hudson River Valley, Poconos to Williamsport, PA" produced by WILDRIDES.INFO(?). It is an incredible foldout map; check it out. One of the clubs here on LI I rode with ride way too fast for me and does not practice safe riding in a group. If you are interested in making a ride together let me know. Cheers
Thanks for the info. I just got to reading your post....travel safe.

:)(y)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
In Sept I am riding from Long Island to St. Louis to St. Paul then back home. I remember a while back some fellow riders told me about a website that specializes in routes for motorcycles which I have not found. I am writing to ask what, if any, special websites are being used to plan a multi-state ride. Thanks
Want to thank everyone for their info and recommendations. I am now in St. Louis with a new Hi/Vis jacket; enjoyed riding through West Virginia on routes show in the Ride Atlas; and started a free trial with Rever. I appreciate everyones help. thanks
I will also share that I stumbled upon a YouTube video of how to use Google’s “My Maps” to plan a trip. I use Maps and didn’t know about My Maps. It does not show recommended motorcycle routes, but I found it to be another great planning tool.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts