Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went for a ride this afternoon & had a real close call. Travelling along on a four lane not devided road/highway. A young guy in a car had just passed me. There was a car coming from the opposite direction that had it's left turn signal on. There is a popular fruit & vegatable stand that she(an elderly lady) seemed to be turning into across our two lanes. I don't know why,but I just had a feeling she was going to turn left, RIGHT in front of us! I had already backed off the gas & was grabbing the brakes & she made the turn! There is a large parking lot next to the vegatable stand. I had gotten my speed down enough to go right into the pretty empty parking lot. The young guy in the car that had passed me never had a chance! He hit her on the passener side by the front fender & totalled both cars! He seemed to be ok but the old lady was hurt pretty bad. They called 911 and took her to the hospital right away. I gave the cops my statement & info & after settling my nerves alot I continued on my ride. The young guy asked me how I knew she was going to cut in front of us. I just said"When you ride a motorcycle you just expect it to happen and prepare for it!" He couldn't believe I cut into the parking lot to avoid her. Some times you just have the FEELING you know!

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
That doesn't sound like a "near miss." That was a 'near HIT!'

I had a "near miss" and got real up close and personal with three lanes of state highway department asphalt. I wish it had been a "near hit" instead.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Great anticipation SSSSNAKE.
It's sad that we have to ride expecting people to do the worst, but if we want to ride, and live, it's a must!

Glad you came out of it fine.

-S

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Glad you pulled through that one. Good call !

Yesterday as I'm leaving work the service road of the Long Island Expressway is backed up like crazy. My bad was to take the emergency lane on the right of this 2 lane road. This was for a couple of hundred yards to get to the next light and make a right.
I was prepared for a cage to jump in front of me and one almost took out my side. A quick weeble wable and I saved it.
Needless to say we both were wrong but when I pulled into er lane I looked to make sure no one was coming.
Mind you I was in 1st gear reving like 3k with open pipes. Guess I was in the blind spot when she pulled out, and she must of been deaf too!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
SSSSNAKE....Excellent job in anticipating, defensive riding, emergency evasive maneuvering.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
George Carlin: Here's one they just made up: "near miss". When two planes almost collide, they call it a near miss. It's a near hit. A collision is a near miss. "oh look, they nearly missed"

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
biod929 said:
George Carlin: Here's one they just made up: "near miss". When two planes almost collide, they call it a near miss. It's a near hit. A collision is a near miss. "oh look, they nearly missed"
from the news about the two planes near hit yesterday....I wonder if the one pilot gave the bird to the other pilot for crossing his runway......bet not, since a "flying bird" can really mess up a jet engine..... 8)

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
Sssssnake! Glad you are okay! Your alertness surely saved you! :shock:

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
As they say in baseball...Good Eye :!:
I have a thing that I do before each ride, whether it's a short or long trip.
I go over a mental list , licence, insurance, cell phone, quick equip check, gas.
And then I remind myself to WATCH OUT :D
This works for me, but we all get in a hurry and let our guard down.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts