Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
you will likely have to find a good used tank and paint. Honda no longer makes the VTX tanks so whatever inventory there is, is few and far between and VERY expensive. $2,500 +

I lucked out and found on on Facebook Market place.

they pop on on ebay now and again as well.

if your dents are not really bad, you might consider finding a local PDR guy, (paint less dent removal) I had success with mine using PDR, they didn't do mine paint less though, it had to be sand blasted and brought down to bare metal, but they got a 9" diameter dent out using a combination of stud welding and PDR. $250 for that work and $300 to repaint.

·
Registered
2003 VTX1800R
90 Posts
Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
10,746 Posts

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
geez that's expensive. :oops:. I guess I'll have to live with a couple of dents or figure out some way to cover them up. Maybe I can find someone local to take them out. They aren't real big dents. Just minor.
View attachment 196276 View attachment 196277
Listen to Mr. Incredible. He knows WTH he's talking about. You don't want to hear his painful story of idiot monkeys effin' up every step of the way during his tank repair.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I like those. :D I thought about filling them in with something and covering with some kind of vinyl wrap or graphics.
Not a bad idea if you don't care and it won't nag you in the back of your mind. (some people can't take it)
BTDT

Where you at? If you were anywhere close (Texas), I could recommend a great paint guy, he painted and polished my tank for $150. Took him a couple weeks because he needed to redo the polishing.
In general, welcome to the club and actually, feel free to post your introduction to the New Member forum. Tell us a little bit about yourself. And don't forget to post pictures of your VTX. We are suckers for pictures.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
geez that's expensive. :oops:. I guess I'll have to live with a couple of dents or figure out some way to cover them up. Maybe I can find someone local to take them out. They aren't real big dents. Just minor.
View attachment 196276 View attachment 196277

these look to be on the top of the tank, PDR can do those no issue, if you have an tank internal fuel pump it is even easier because they can access the inside of the tank from the bottom, $200 would be my guess for PDR.

you'll have to pull the tank and take it in, find a good shop start here:

this guy is the motorcycle tank PDR guru from what I have heard.

MotoPDR

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not a bad idea if you don't care and it won't nag you in the back of your mind. (some people can't take it)
BTDT

Where you at? If you were anywhere close (Texas), I could recommend a great paint guy, he painted and polished my tank for $150. Took him a couple weeks because he needed to redo the polishing.
In general, welcome to the club and actually, feel free to post your introduction to the New Member forum. Tell us a little bit about yourself. And don't forget to post pictures of your VTX. We are suckers for pictures.
Unfortunately no where near Texas. I'm in Georgia but I think there is a good paint and body work guy locally. I'll have to call around and see if I can find him if he's still doing that. I'll post up some pics later.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm actually thinking of trading it in and figured I'd get a better trade in value without the dents. It's been a fun bike. I've had it for about 5 years. I'm starting to look for something a little sportier and more powerful. So if I get dents fixed it would need to be as cheap as I can get it. I've enjoyed this bike it's a fun machine. When I got it, it already had Vance n Hines pipes. I put a spike air cleaner on it and rejet the carb. As I recall I put a 220 main jet and a 90 pilot jet. Removed the pair valve and did the scar mod. And put a Memphis Shades quick release windshield on it and mini floor boards and LED lights under it. I was thinking of turning it into a bobber at one time. I suppose I could keep it and get a sport bike and have one of each. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts