Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I know nothing about any kind of painting.

So I am asking for some input about whether not this sounds right. My concern is I am afraid of damaging the factory blurple color.

I found someone to air brush some images on my bike (tank and fenders), she told me that the parts would be scuffed (the clearcoat, to give her paint something to stick to), she would do the airbrushing, then the pieces would be re-clearcoated 3-4 times and then wheeled/buffed/polished out to get the original look.

I like her work, I don't doubt she knows what she is doing. She says she will not get down to the factory paint.

So my question is: Does this sound right? Will the blurple get messed up, or should it come out OK?

mosto

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Yes, she is telling you the truth. If she doesn't rough it up a little the new paint will not stick.

·
Super Moderator
63,774 Posts
Yep, she has to scuff the clear that is on the bike now for the new paint to have a rough surface to grab onto. If you've never seen what a paint job goes through, I would suggest you not watch your paint job going through the process. You would scream, then cry at the sandpapering, and scuffing, and more sandpapering..... :D

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Yep. thats eXactly right. Sounds like she knows her bidness. 8)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info. I went to a swap meet today, and there were a few custom painters there. They all said the same thing. After looking at some of those guys work, I'm amazed, and not really sure what I want to do.

mosto

·
Super Moderator
63,774 Posts
mosto said:
thanks for the info. I went to a swap meet today, and there were a few custom painters there. They all said the same thing. After looking at some of those guys work, I'm amazed, and not really sure what I want to do.

mosto
Here so more to add to your confusion. This guy did my paintjob, and does all the custom paint for MidWest Choppers. 8)
www.alcaldecustoms.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts