Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my halogen bulbs in my light bar this evening with a new set of bulbs (55w). I found out after the fact that the stock bulb is 35w.

They worked fine for the first half hour and then they, along with my headlight went out. I replaced the blown fuse but still no lights.

What else should I be checking? I am obviously not a seasoned shade tree mechanic so any assistance would be appreciated.

Mike

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
You are drawing too much current for the stock wiring. You could fry the wiring. To run light with higher wattage you need to run them threw a relay off the battery.
When you blow a fuse it is telling you something.
If not go back to the 35wats.

Donut, Doug.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will definitely be going back to the correct wattage bulbs, didn't realize they were wrong until after the fact.
But in the mean time I can't trace the problem beyond the blown fuse.
Still looking for assistance on that front.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, I'll have to track those down tomorrow. What I can't figure out is why the headlight is still out.

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
scobis said:
No, I'll have to track those down tomorrow. What I can't figure out is why the headlight is still out.
If you still have them in, it will blow the fuse again.
I have to get to bed now, I have to get up in three hours.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
I run 55 Watt bulbs in my lightbar, but added a relay and wiring straight from the battery. The wiring in the headlight won't handle two 55 Watt bulbs.

Eddie

·
Registered
243 Posts
the wiring is routed through the starter switch. May need to check that you have voltage into and out of the starter switch. Do you have a test light?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I pulled the two 55w bulbs from the light bar and replaced the fuse again. Headlight works fine now.

I'll be replacing the light bar bulbs with 35w as soon as I locate some. To avoid this in the future it appears I would need the relay wired in. Could someone point me in the right direction as far as installing these?

Thanks again for the assistance.

Mike

·
Registered
42 Posts
eddiecohen said:
I run 55 Watt bulbs in my lightbar, but added a relay and wiring straight from the battery. The wiring in the headlight won't handle two 55 Watt bulbs.

Eddie
HI Eddie,

Any chance you could PM or reply here with detailed instructions on how to do this (install relay)? Did you use the spare accessory plug in the headlight assembly for your power source? Also, specifically where you got your relay and what you had to buy as far as wiring, fuses and the type of relay?

I have been to the rattlebars website and while it provides good info, it is a little confusing because it tries to explain it for several different bikes and several possible setups. I have a 2005 1300c.

I have the National Cycle lightbar. I have the running lights hooked up. I have wired the spotlights to the accessory plug in the headlight housing. The lights do not go out like the headlight when the starter is activated. I have the spotlights wired so that they operate whether the hi or lo beam is on.

My problem is I am blowing fuses when I operate them and the Hi Beam on. It doesn't happen when I use just the low beams.

Regards,

Mike

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Mike, run a fused supply wire from your battery. I ran mine along the backbone under the tank secured with a couple zip ties. The blue with white wire is inside the bucket. It will provide you with "keyed power" as your trigger that will shut off when you hit the starter button - save your starter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts