Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not trying to be a punk about this but I'm curious about risers. I think they look nice but do I need them and would they work for me? I'm 190lbs.,6'2 with a 34" inseam. I consider myself average height with average length arms. My reach on my stock 1800C seems natural to me as all my previous bikes have in relation to their stock style. i.e. cb's and VF1100C. I may like the idea of higher bars but I don't see the need of bringing the grips closer to me and adjusting them outward seems odd as well. Does anyone use risers for any other reason than to bring the grips closer to them? I get the impression that they are for shorter-armed people for lack of a better term. Am I wrong or am I missing something here? Thanks for any input on this issue with me.:?:

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Not trying to be a punk about this but I'm curious about risers. I think they look nice but do I need them and would they work for me? I'm 190lbs.,6'2 with a 34" inseam. I consider myself average height with average length arms. My reach on my stock 1800C seems natural to me as all my previous bikes have in relation to their stock style. i.e. cb's and VF1100C. I may like the idea of higher bars but I don't see the need of bringing the grips closer to me and adjusting them outward seems odd as well. Does anyone use risers for any other reason than to bring the grips closer to them? I get the impression that they are for shorter-armed people for lack of a better term. Am I wrong or am I missing something here? Thanks for any input on this issue with me.:?:
They are for folks who:

1. experience shoulder pain from having to reach too far forward
2. experience wrist pain because of the placement of bars
3. prefer a lounge chair position to sit farther back in the seat more easily

Greg

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
'zactly what Greg said ... if you're comfortable with your riding position, no point in swapping risers ... or bars. I went the Baron's X-bar route for the same reason -- too much of a stretch was causing shoulder pain and fatigue after less than an hour in the saddle. The bar swap fixed that for me. For others, risers do it. It's all just personal preference. ;)

·
Registered
8,223 Posts
I'm a real "knuckledragger" when it comes to arm length but I'm very comfortable with my aftermarket risers ...

I put on some miles and comform means a lot to me ...

But ...

I wouldn't fix anything that's not broken ...

but ...

opinions vary ...

all blessings ....

crew

:crew:

·
Old Goat
26,217 Posts
As mentioned "comfort" shoulder, back and wrist pain made for a miserable ride from day one, I finally got the bike ergonomic :thumbup:with risers,better grips,throttle lock and my mustang seat with backrest, I was disappointed that I had to do all that , was hoping for an out of the box comfortable scoot. have a good one

·
Registered
193 Posts
+1 on risers, mustang seat, foot pegs, throttle lock. It's like a Lazy-Boy recliner on two wheels. If you are comfortable with your ride now, leave it alone and spend the cash on chrome.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
As mentioned "comfort" shoulder, back and wrist pain made for a miserable ride from day one, I finally got the bike ergonomic :thumbup:with risers,better grips,throttle lock and my mustang seat with backrest, I was disappointed that I had to do all that , was hoping for an out of the box comfortable scoot. have a good one
:p
I kinda agree with ya there ... for the kind of $$$ we shell out, we might expect to bring home something that fits us like a glove. For us less-than-large riders (i.e., under 6' and less than 200 lbs), you could also make an argument that we should just get smaller bikes. :dontknow: But noooo, I'm not about to settle for anything less than the 1800 I wanted just because I'm not built like Hulk Hogan (and man is he glad, except for the knees).

Eh, for the relatively few more $$$ I spent on the bar and seat mod, I've got a ride that I'm very comfortable with now. Now just as soon as those Big Bike Parts comfort grips get here, I might end up sleeping on it, too. God bless you, Hal.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Risers...

Ditto for comfort....I also found that the risers made my bike handle more easily in slow speed maneuvers. Anybody else notice that? I'm 6', 235 and 34 inseam and the risers definitely reduced arm and shoulder fatigue...now to just get that seat upgraded!:(

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I also found that the risers made my bike handle more easily in slow speed maneuvers.
That could be ... with the bars in closer to your body and everything that's in a more comfortable position, you may very well feel like you've got better control. I didn't notice it much myself, just an overall much more comfortable ride.

now to just get that seat upgraded!:(
Mean City Cycles, bro!!!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I'm 6', 195 with a 34" inseam and I've been thinking about upgrading to taller risers, because although my bike feels comfortable to me, I suffer from some pretty nasty back problems. I'm hoping even an inch taller riser will help that...

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
5'9" 170 lbs. 32" inseam and I purchased some "C" model risers from a board member. This extended the bars just enough for me to allow a more upright riding position...I like it! :pepper1:

·
Banned
8,514 Posts
I have an 1800C which had the stock risers when I bought it. The stock risers stretched me out too much and caused back and shoulder pain on long rides. I swapped the stock risers with Rivco 6" risers and it was a great improvement. The pain in my back and shoulders was still there but not nearly as bad. The problem was that the pain wasn't eliminated, just reduced to an acceptable level. So I'm taking it one step further. I'm going back to the stock C risers and swapping the handlebars with R model bars which are higher and have more pull back. If you really want to be comfortable on a C model the handlebar swap will do the trick. As far as money goes it costs about the same as a riser swap. You can do this without changing cables with the exception of the brake line that needs to be swapped with a Valkyrie brake line plus you need 2 extra cable clamps.

Do the math:

Risers = $130 bucks
or
R model handlebar = $90 bucks
Valkyrie Brake Line = $30 bucks
Cable Clamps (2) = $6 bucks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts