Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1300s
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi are there any peeps on this board who live in Perth Western Australia? If so, could you test my control module please? I was thinking if some decent Gent would let me bring my module over to them and plug it into their bike, it would tell me if their bike runs fine that its all good.

Thanks in anticipation

Paul

·
Registered
14,648 Posts
The ICM rarely fails.
The wires to the ICM have broken frequently.
The most popular two wires(Black and a Green wire) that break are on the
most forward part of the ICM.
What year 1300S do you have??
Did you read the posts on the thread regarding "No Spark"??
Does the engine on your 1300S crank over when starter switch engaged?
Another thread regarding the ICM wires with pictures.
What was done before the problem began???

·
Registered
1300s
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The ICM rarely fails.
The wires to the ICM have broken frequently.
The most popular two wires(Black and a Green wire) that break are on the
most forward part of the ICM.
What year 1300S do you have??
Did you read the posts on the thread regarding "No Spark"??
Does the engine on your 1300S crank over when starter switch engaged?
Another thread regarding the ICM wires with pictures.
What was done before the problem began???
Hi, thanks for replying. I have read all the posts on this forum and others on the inter web. It does crank over on the starter button, the kill switch wont allow the bike to crank if is off. I have checked the wiring and there is power to the black wire and resistance between the green and white/blue of 192 ohms. I have power to the coils intermittently, the carb has been stripped and cleaned thoroughly the kill switch is in the correct position and apart from it being a short somewhere in the wiring loom, everything is sending me back to the ICM. I just wanted to check it on someone else bike to rule it out permanently before digging further into the wiring. I have also drained and cleaned to the fuel tank, fitted a new fuel cock and line to eliminate a fuel issue (I think)!

The issue started some years ago. I purchased the bike in 2007 2nd owner from a dealer in the UK, it's a 2004 s model, it was a demonstration bike and had 2,000 miles on the clock, I ran it regular in the UK until I moved to Western Australia in 2008. I ran it for a year or so here then parked it up to use occasionally as my work required me to use a Ute/Pickup truck. After a year or so, I decided to go for a run, the bike started fine and ran sweet until I pulled out of a junction, 5k into the trip, and accelerated to get up to speed of 100kph. The bike started spluttering and missing so after about 3k of this I turned around and went back home, parked it up and thought to myself, I'll look into it later, So here we are now some 11 years later, I finally get around to getting it sorted. I wasn't worried about using the bike as I have several means of transport and thought, it's original, untouched and low k's, 11,000 total so it's never going to lose value. I would like to start riding again rather than have it sat around collecting dust again.

·
Registered
2007 VTX 1800N (N1), Vance and Hines (baffled), stock intake, 23K miles and growing
238 Posts
This might be stupid questions, but have you done the ground fix and looked at the grounds for the coil? Does the primary and secondary coil have continuity?

·
Registered
1300s
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This might be stupid questions, but have you done the ground fix and looked at the grounds for the coil? Does the primary and secondary coil have continuity?
Hi I haven't, Not sure what a ground fix is or a primary and secondary coil? But, I have checked the battery terminals are secure and given that there was power to the front and rear coil, I assumed they would be good. is there something I need to do to check the coils further?

·
Registered
2007 VTX 1800N (N1), Vance and Hines (baffled), stock intake, 23K miles and growing
238 Posts
If there is power to the coil, that is great. But if it doesn't make it through the coil to the spark plug, that is a problem. The coil uses it's mounting area as the ground. It would be unlikely for the coil to be bad, but the symptoms you describe merit checking them. There are a ton of videos on YouTube on how to check the primary and secondary windings of ignition coils.
And I hate to say this, but look up "ground fix" in the 1800 sections of this site. Super common issue, and even if you haven't done it yet, cleaning that ground will save you headaches in the future. I did mine even though my bike ran fine because once I looked at that ground I knew it was only a matter of time before it failed.
Of note, I also rebuilt my external fuel pump after buying an OEM replacement. It can be done. Posted a YouTube video of it to help others.

·
Registered
1300s
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If there is power to the coil, that is great. But if it doesn't make it through the coil to the spark plug, that is a problem. The coil uses it's mounting area as the ground. It would be unlikely for the coil to be bad, but the symptoms you describe merit checking them. There are a ton of videos on YouTube on how to check the primary and secondary windings of ignition coils.
And I hate to say this, but look up "ground fix" in the 1800 sections of this site. Super common issue, and even if you haven't done it yet, cleaning that ground will save you headaches in the future. I did mine even though my bike ran fine because once I looked at that ground I knew it was only a matter of time before it failed.
Of note, I also rebuilt my external fuel pump after buying an OEM replacement. It can be done. Posted a YouTube video of it to help others.
Thanks, I will check the primary and secondary windings and do a "ground fix" Fingers crossed that will fix it🤞

·
Registered
238 Posts
Paul, I just realized you have a 1300, not an 1800. I think you can ignore the "ground fix". But I would definitely verify the correct voltage is going to the coils from the ICM. If that's good, check the coils themselves for continuity and resistance all the way to the plug cap.

·
Registered
14,648 Posts
It has been parked for 11 years???
I assume all the gas has evaporated and some residue was left in the tank and carb.
Have you done a carb rebuild now?
Did you check for a spark on the spark plugs???
You cannot use the bolt on fins at the spark plug area for a Ground, they are mounted with rubber grommets.
Best to remove a spark plug on both cylinders and Ground the Spark Plug shell to a real Ground.
Crank it over to you see a spark?
The Ign coil has one high voltage coil. The spark plugs are in a series configuration.
https://www.vtxoa.com/attachments/1300-1800-ign-coils-jpg.211393/

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
Hi, could someone tell me why my reply to Hans&Feet disappeared?
?? Your post is #10 this thread. ALL numeric posts from 1 to 10 are there on my page.

·
Registered
14,648 Posts
If you are using a phone device you may have to hit the "Post reply" twice. Maybe it does not like my finger touch. But it happens.

Reactions: brettp

·
Registered
1300s
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It has been parked for 11 years???
I assume all the gas has evaporated and some residue was left in the tank and carb.
Have you done a carb rebuild now?
Did you check for a spark on the spark plugs???
You cannot use the bolt on fins at the spark plug area for a Ground, they are mounted with rubber grommets.
Best to remove a spark plug on both cylinders and Ground the Spark Plug shell to a real Ground.
Crank it over to you see a spark?
The Ign coil has one high voltage coil. The spark plugs are in a series configuration.
https://www.vtxoa.com/attachments/1300-1800-ign-coils-jpg.211393/
Yes is has been stood for a really long time, there was still fuel in the tank but is was off (varnish smell) so the tank was cleaned out, and a new stopcock and filter fitted. The carb has been stripped and cleaned then rebuilt and there is a spark but it is very weak. I will check the link you posted then see if the coils are ok thanks.

·
Registered
14,648 Posts
Did you add an external fuel filter or just replaced the small in the carb hose bib.
When cranking how low does the battery voltage go??
When cranking not much for a spark.

Reactions: brettp

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hans brings up a good thing to check -- the carb inlet has a filter embedded in it. I never knew it was there until reading these forums.

·
Registered
1300s
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Did you add an external fuel filter or just replaced the small in the carb hose bib.
When cranking how low does the battery voltage go??
When cranking not much for a spark.
No extra filter added. I will check voltage on battery but it seems to turn over ok (then again I am connected to a trickle charger) Spark is very weak

·
Registered
14,648 Posts
A weak spark, that could work.
How about fuel??
With the air filter cover off, when you twist the throttle, do you see a spray from the brass tube spraying fuel?
Do you have the vacuum hose routing complete?
The minimum configuration>> Vacuum source on the intake manifold to a port on the "T",
one port of the "T" to the petcock, the other port of the "T" to the ACO.
OEM hoses crack/split on the inside of the hose at the end of the hose. Too many leaks and no fuel flow.
I omitted the PAIR system intentionally.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts