Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my lightbar (Big Bike Parts) and the quality and look are fantastic. Going through the install, mounting the equipment was no problem. I've always been good with a wrench, but not so good with electrical :tools:. The instructions are probably pretty clear, but to me it looks like Chinese :dontknow:. I can hook up the blinkers no problem, but I'm not so confident with the rest of the wiring and I don't want to F it up (and at the same time, I don't want to pay $150 to install the d*mn thing, I'd like to learn it myself). Is there a step by step process somewhere that I can follow?

I've got the light & seat off and I'm ready to go, I just wish the magic electrician would show up and finish the rest.....

03 VTX 1800 C

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Spike. I did see that one but the wiring layout is different on the Kurys so it didn't help me much. One follow-up question, can I run the wires from the lamp to the relay (by the battery) underneath the tank without removing the tank?

·
Registered
63 Posts
BBp Lightbar

Hey, Make sure that you tighten the little allens on the bezel cover.
I was so excited about mounting my lightbar that I rode over to my buddies house to show him. I get there and one bezel and lense are gone.
I had to call BBP for replacment parts. Nice folks at BBP took care of me promptly, anyway tighten those allens.

Wolfmanzr

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
If you are going to run the wiring from your relay to your
lightbar lamps under the fuel tank, I would advise you to
shield the wiring with a length of heatshrink tubing or
a length of split loom. This will add extra insulation
to protect the wires.

There are some sharp spots on the frame and on the
underside of the fuel tank and the insulation on the
wiring can be shaved and cut by the sharp spots
which can cause you to blow fuses or maybe have
an electrical fire if you use too big a fuse.

Vibration can cause the sharp spots to cut into the
wiring months after you do the installation.
I highly recommend spending a couple of dollars
at your local auto specialty store for a six foot length
of split loom. Dark gray or black would be least
noticed with the black frame of the motorcycle.
Use wire ties every few inches to keep the wires
inside the split loom, or some electrical tape.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It worked!

The key to this whole wiring fiasco was "use the blue & white wire" for power. After a little bit of knuckle scraping and cursing, it's all good now. Thanks for the tips fellas. After a bit of trial and error, the BBP lightbar is on and working great. Blue Loctite on the threads and rubber washers connecting the lights to the bar are also great tips. Once I fiddled around with it, it wasn't that big of a deal. Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts