Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any sugestions on installing saddlebags (DAYTONA ***American Made*** 11.5 x 12 (15) x 8) on a 2004 VTX 1800C? The problem is I have a regular backrest (not the deluxe) installed on the bike and the rear fender screw is covered up by the backrest mount. The front fender screw by the shock and the second screw is used for the mount. Any suggestions for a modification that will work to bolt on the bags with this backrest? EZ-Bracket and Ghost Brackets do not exist for this backrest. Thank You!!!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
You didn't state if you already have bags so I'm shooting in the dark. I have Boss Bags and LOVE them. They have an excellent proprietary mounting system that uses the first two bolts in the fender strut, leaving the rear one free for your backrest. You can remove the bags in 10 seconds and the only telltale sign of saddle bags are two small stainless steel nipples. Boss even makes bullet covers that cover the nipples, that look great. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes, that is a problem. I have been looking for some bags..

myself. Boss seems to be the only one in the game right now but they are really pricey. M C Enterprises makes some guards that may work. They sell a kit for an additional $20.00 that give you longer bolts. You may check it out. I'm not clear on what bags you have. I have been looking at the moto leather bags myself but not sure if I can mount them or not. I have a C model with Hondaline backrest and luggage rack.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Some of the bag mounts I've seen use a plate that fits between the fender rail and the backrest mount. If a 3/16" or 1/4" plate is used then 3/16" or 1/4" has to be trimmed away from the existing bolt spacers that hold the backrest mount off of the fender rail, so everything fits back up correctly. This plate should have bolt holes that match up with the 2 front bolts holding your backrest support on. The plate may cover the rearmost bolt head in the fender rail if you install the plate next to (against, touching) the backrest support bracket. Your bag mount then gets attached to the plate, under the backrest mount. Of course, another plate is required for the other side. Look at a set of Leatherlykes for an example of what I'm trying to describe here.

This is the order, from the outside in, towards the tire:

Bolt head
Backrest Bracket
Saddlebag plate
Spacer
Fender rail
Fender
Inner fender support bracket
Tire

Hope this makes some sense.

EDIT: You can also mount a plate or your saddlebag brackets directly to the ouside of the backrest support bracket using the two front fender rail bolts (you'll need longer bolts - they're 10MM x 1.25 - NOT 1.50). But I do not like the look as much as I previously described.

Have fun - I just completed my bag mount mods - and love 'em.

Todd

1 - 4 of 4 Posts