Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
Nothing. Push the bike up on a 2X6 and put a block under the sidestand .

·
Registered
662 Posts
Here's a shot of my new Craftsman jack in action. Must say, it's a bit of a hassle. Here's why ...

- Have to run front wheel up on 2x6
- 2x4 under kickstand
- Gotta get off bike to position jack PARTIALLY under frame
- Gotta get back on bike - stand it up, then push jack all the way under
with foot
- Gotta pump it up with foot while sitting on bike
- Let it down the same way

I like the jack's extra long pads to fit our wide frames. It's steady once the bike is up and I definitely use the tie downs.

Bought it on sale for $88 but if I had it to do over, I would find the jacks that are lower.

Checkout them whitewalls just waitin to get mounted ...

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
i dont understand why you need to sit on the bike to jack and lower the bike.
I position the jack beside the bike, kickstand side. stand the bike upright while standing beside it. lift the kickstand, push the jack unde the bike with one foot, jack up the bike while steadying it with my hands.
have you tried this or am i missing something here?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
pepsX said:
I position the jack beside the bike, kickstand side. stand the bike upright while standing beside it. lift the kickstand, push the jack unde the bike with one foot, jack up the bike while steadying it with my hands.

Thats what I do!! Very eazy.

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
PsycleFreak said:
pepsX said:

Thats what I do!! Very eazy.
Similar - but I go from the other side. Push jack under the bike from the right side untill it hits the frame on the left. It's most of the way under at this point except maybe 4 inches. Straddle bike and stand it up - without sitting on it, lean over and pull jack the rest of the way under and jack it up with foot. No wood necessary.
Jailhouse, do you have your bike lowered or something???

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
pepsX said:
Same here, I also have the Craftman jack, I do exactly the same it goes right under the bike no problem.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'm sort of famous in my house for doing everything the hard way :shock: , but it seems like we're all doing versions of the same thing.

I feel more comfortable straddling the bike when bringing it upright to finish placing the jack with my foot. I don't think I could hold the bike with just my hands if it got too far over in a lean.

I also bring the jack in from the right side of the bike and am able to "pump it up" a couple times before getting off and finishing the job.

I thnk I'm going to get another piece of 2x6 for the rear tire. May eliminate some of the gymnastics.

As said above,I like certain features of the jack but wish it just slid under the bike without any hassles.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Almost the Same

I jack mine from the right (pipe) side while on the kickstand. As someone said before, I just push the jack under the bike until it contacts the other side of the frame, then G-E-N-T-L-Y pull on the right handlebar to stand the bike upright until the jack fits, then slowly pump the jack with my foot. This way, the kickstand is still down on the opposite side to catch the bike if something goes wrong. Nothing has ever gone wrong yet. I always lock the jack while in raised position up prevent accidental lowering, etc.

To lower the bike, I make sure the kickstand is down, then slowly and gently let the bike down while holding the right handlebar. Since it's such a tight fit, the bike won't lean onto the kickstand until the jack is removed. The kickstand must be down before lowering the bike, to support the bike after the jack is lowered. I always let the last bit of pressure off the jack by leaning the bike slightly to the left, to allow clearance to pull the jack out, while continuing to hold the bike upright by the right handlebar. Once the jack is out, I gently relax the pull on the handlebar to lean the bike back onto the kickstand.

Easy as skinning a cat, does require a little coordination, but not complicated at all. Sorry this got so wordy, but this is a really good way to do it without the lumber, etc.

I like using the jack and a roll around stool for cleaning the bike. Makes cleaning the wheels much, much easier.

Hope this helps.

G

·
0 Posts
I had that problem with my titan I purchased a 10' 2x6 layed it beside the bike and marked between the fron and back tire and cut the board there. Drove the bike over all 3 pieces together (==) ===== (==)got off the bike and removed the middle piece slid the jack under the bike made it so much easier then trying to get the tires onto 2 pieces. It worked the same today when I changed the oil in the VTX.

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
JACK!!!!

I place three 2x6, One in front of each tire, roll bihe back 10 inches then forward up on 2x6s then one under k-stand and put in 1st gear so it doesn't roll. Then from right side I pull bike up straight and with foot roll stand under frame.
..donut..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts