Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received some crome covers for X-Mas, I put them on. Front was simple and easy, so was the rear or so I thought. Brakes were perfect until now, I went for a short ride and when I hit the rear brakes the peddle went all the way down and no brakes. I pumped it several times and only got just a touch of brake and then nothing. I was wondering if I may have over tightened some thing or did I really mess it up. I never have the caliper off, just the two mounthing bolts. Any help would be great.

O its an 05 VTXR and its just the rear brakes I'm having trouble with.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
..maybe the brake line came a little loose when ya took it off??..where it goes into the caliper..if so, you'll have to bleed the rear system..either by hand or with a mighty-vac (easier)..I couldn't imagine you could have put it on wrong, because it only goes on one way..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what kills me, I didn't take the caliper off. I'll check the hose, it might have come lose when I put the cover over it.

Thanks
John

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you haven't yet

check for brake fluid leaking, from resivoir to caliper
check brake fluid level in the resivoir,
brake pedal to master cylinder linkage,
brake pads still in position and good condition,wear

And as Tranz said if the brake fluid was leaking/low enough to cause this you will need to bleed the brake

Good Luck

·
Old Goat
26,217 Posts
You said you removed some bolts, I take it you didnt get the covers that go on with double sided tape, I believe that caliper floats on the bracket is there any way you could be binding the caliper, Ive read where some of these covers cause problems. Good luck and please keep us informed, thanks.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
You must have show chrome covers. When I installed them on my 1300R mine did the same thing the first time I hit the rear brake petal. I stoped and pumped the petal and it came back. It must of came from taking the bolts out to put the cover on. Bleeding the brake will probally fix it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
VTXVA.07 yep thats the ones I got. Heading out to the bike now, I'll give everything the twice over. Let ya know what I found and if I get it back up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for your info. It turned out to be my dumb butt, I over tightened the bolts. As soon as I backed them down to were there supposed to be, all is working. VTXVA.07 you were also right, I backed them down and re-tightened them a couple of pumps on the peddle and it's back to normal. I did check the fluid level, and lines all looks good. Thanks to all of you for helping me. Now its brake job time, guess I should have looked before I put the covers on :roll:.

Thanks again
John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts