Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay- it's time to put new shoes on the X. I dont have the first clue on what to put on the bike. I need some advice. I usually ride with my girl on the back and mostly just joy ride on short (50miles) to medium (150 miles) rides. Can you all please help me figure out what to get? Thanks in advance... :doorag:

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
tires

Try Metezlers, they ride better than Dunlops.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Do a search for:
Tires,
Metezler,
Dunlop,
Avon.
These are the major brands but there are about 2-3 others mentioned. Go with whichever you like the input from. Dunlop is probably the most used only because this is the stock brand. Metz are gaining popularity on this board and more dealers are stocking these due to requests. Avon is mentioned and seem dependable.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Tire choices

Are you replacing front back or both? with a "C" model you should be able to go to a fatter tire in the back which might help with extra weight. Metzler is the better tire for cruisers. Remember cost should never out-weight safety.

·
Registered
788 Posts
From the sounds of your riding style, any tire is going to work for you. Everything is so objective, most of us will never even come close to pushing our tires to their limits. I went with a tire that was reputable and in the right price range. I have Bridgestone Battleax's. Shop around, most cycle shops add about $100/per tire mark up over cost. You will be able to find sales online and you may find deals by buying in a set, but tires don't have to match brands front and back. The other thing is that tire shops will charge more to mount a tire that you carry in. And you will save alot of money if you remove and install your own wheels.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been reading alot of good things about the Metzeler's so I went ahead and bought a set. I hope I made the right decision. I have read a lot of good things, but also some pretty scary things too- I guess thats the internet for ya... :doorag: thanks everyone!!

·
Registered
398 Posts
I'm using Avon Venoms I have 9.5k miles on them, looks like I'll get another 5k miles at least, maybe more. They ride great.

·
Registered
576 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts