Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a owner of a 2005 Goldwing that I can no longer throw my leg over past the trunk to get on, I'm looking for another bike.
Bought a new 2004 VTX 1300 and sold it wanting something bigger. I'm 6.2 350lbs and so been looking at a few bikes that might could get on and ride the country.
However, don't really want a new bike, but need a reliable bike that is easy to work on and no fairing as in Goldwing.
So tell me what you think about these.
VTX 1800
2009 Kawasaki 1700 Nomad
Suzuki M109R or variant
1999 Valkyrie Interstate

Riding two up might be a choice sometimes, but figure total weight 800 lbs.
Thank you
K

·
Super Moderator
64,002 Posts
Step over the saddle instead of throwing the leg over the back? I could never throw my leg over the back. Combination of bad knees and short legs. Mounted from the stand side of the bike, lift my right leg up, go over the saddles lowest point and lean onto the saddle

·
Registered
2005 VTX1800F; 2018 Goldwing Tourer DCT ABS; 1998 Valkyrie Tourer
13 Posts
Step over the saddle instead of throwing the leg over the back? I could never throw my leg over the back. Combination of bad knees and short legs. Mounted from the stand side of the bike, lift my right leg up, go over the saddles lowest point and lean onto the saddle
This is what I do most of the time but I've been trying using the passenger foot peg for my left foot and then swinging my right leg over the back and it's working pretty well. I will say that my VTX-1800F is the easiest to mount, followed by my Valkyrie and then the Gold Wing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Being a owner of a 2005 Goldwing that I can no longer throw my leg over past the trunk to get on, I'm looking for another bike.
Bought a new 2004 VTX 1300 and sold it wanting something bigger. I'm 6.2 350lbs and so been looking at a few bikes that might could get on and ride the country.
However, don't really want a new bike, but need a reliable bike that is easy to work on and no fairing as in Goldwing.
VTX 1800
2009 Kawasaki 1700 Nomad
Suzuki M109R or variant
1999 Valkyrie Interstate

Thank you
K
Ive got the VTX1800C3. Best bike Ive ever had. Comfortable cruise and low seat would make it easy for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Between Two bad knee joints, Messed up back andd both bad elbow joints that not happening either. Be nice if could take tour pack off..
Thank you
K

·
Registered
539 Posts
Seen one, but too pricey for me
Thank you
K
I'm 6'2 and just under 330 I also have short legs and never found the Gold wing fun to swing a leg over. I've had my VTX 1300S Since 2006 and have been hard-pressed to find a bike to replace it. It's really hard to beat even though I do wish it had a little more horsepower.

I test rode an M109 2 years ago. It had power but I didn't like the position of the footpegs and also didn't care for the E-throttle. I had 2 occurrences where I was rolling to a stop when traffic started moving again before I completely stopped so I rolled on the throttle a bit and let the clutch back out and the damned thing stalled on me. Never would have happened with a cable throttle. I also have a small backrest on my VTX seat which I have found to be extremely comfortable not having it on the m109 was a little disconcerting especially when giving it the beans.

I've always loved the Old Valkyrie Interstates but I thought they had a trunk on them that would put you in the same situation as the gold wings.

I've never had any experience with the other options you listed other than to look at them. If you can find an old Valk that's not an interstate I would jump on that.

Reactions: kg5ks

·
Super Moderator
6,904 Posts
Between Two bad knee joints, Messed up back andd both bad elbow joints that not happening either. Be nice if could take tour pack off..
Thank you
K
Not sure what you mean KG when you say stepping over the bike won't work. If you can walk up a flight of one stair, and hold the bike up after you've mounted it, you can lift your left leg over the bike after first stepping on the right peg or floorboard with your right foot.
I sold my VTX back in 2016 because of bad knees. I bought my FB in 2018 and immediately began mounting and dismounting exactly as Spike described. It is a bit scary at first because it feels like the bike is going to come off the stand, but it doesn't happen. I do hold onto both sides of the bars and keep the front brake engaged getting off and on to make sure the bike stays put. And it does, and works fine. Also, it's how motorcycle cops are trained to mount and dismount. Try it on your Wing and see if it makes a difference for you.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I've got on word for you....Trike. At least check'em out. They give you a lot of different options. No, I don't have one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
VTX 1800
2009 Kawasaki 1700 Nomad
Suzuki M109R or variant
1999 Valkyrie Interstate

Thank you
K
I like VTX 1800 have a 02 and 03. I recall reading the specs and finding the weight capacity was about 400 lbs - worth a dbl check. Saw another post about wishing the 1800 had more horsepower ...kinda agree in that I wish the 1800 had a sixth gear !

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm 6'2 and just under 330 I also have short legs and never found the Gold wing fun to swing a leg over. I've had my VTX 1300S Since 2006 and have been hard-pressed to find a bike to replace it. It's really hard to beat even though I do wish it had a little more horsepower.

I test rode an M109 2 years ago. It had power but I didn't like the position of the footpegs and also didn't care for the E-throttle. I had 2 occurrences where I was rolling to a stop when traffic started moving again before I completely stopped so I rolled on the throttle a bit and let the clutch back out and the damned thing stalled on me. Never would have happened with a cable throttle. I also have a small backrest on my VTX seat which I have found to be extremely comfortable not having it on the m109 was a little disconcerting especially when giving it the beans.

I've always loved the Old Valkyrie Interstates but I thought they had a trunk on them that would put you in the same situation as the gold wings.

I've never had any experience with the other options you listed other than to look at them. If you can find an old Valk that's not an interstate I would jump on that.
Trunk is modded for quick removal in about four mins. Afraid the VTX 1300 wouldn't hold up with two big people riding or be comfortable...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not sure what you mean KG when you say stepping over the bike won't work. If you can walk up a flight of one stair, and hold the bike up after you've mounted it, you can lift your left leg over the bike after first stepping on the right peg or floorboard with your right foot.
I sold my VTX back in 2016 because of bad knees. I bought my FB in 2018 and immediately began mounting and dismounting exactly as Spike described. It is a bit scary at first because it feels like the bike is going to come off the stand, but it doesn't happen. I do hold onto both sides of the bars and keep the front brake engaged getting off and on to make sure the bike stays put. And it does, and works fine. Also, it's how motorcycle cops are trained to mount and dismount. Try it on your Wing and see if it makes a difference for you.
Foot pegs break and bike is on side stand. If I step on the right peg the bike would turn over. Can't get it on Center stand either, myopathy in the feet. Did think about Center Ride off Stand .

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
VTX 1800
2009 Kawasaki 1700 Nomad
Suzuki M109R or variant
1999 Valkyrie Interstate

Thank you
K
Having approx 30K on a VTX1800 - they are solid motorcycles. Very planted on the interstate and good manners in high wind conditions. Low to mid 30's fuel mileage. A bit heavy feeling around town - but I'm 5'9 at 190. Great parts and aftermarket support.

Vulcan 1700 - This bike feels very cramped as compared to the VTX - either 1300 or 1800. Performance is wanting. A lot of heat from the engine. Makes a Harley seem air conditioned. Handling is twitchy. We had one for about 10k miles and hated it the whole time.

Haven't owned the other two, so no opinion.

·
Banned
817 Posts
VTX 1800
2009 Kawasaki 1700 Nomad
Suzuki M109R or variant
1999 Valkyrie Interstate

Thank you
K
Can't go wrong with a VTX 1800. I got 55k on mine and it runs great. My wife is comfortable on the back (she's 6' tall) and it's got plenty of power.
I recently replaced front & rear shocks with Progressives 444. Couldn't be happier.

Reactions: kg5ks

·
Registered
8 Posts
I ride with a lot of guys who ride Valkyries. They love them.
The Interstate has the trunk. Look at an older Tourer or Standard models.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I ride with a lot of guys who ride Valkyries. They love them.
The Interstate has the trunk. Look at an older Tourer or Standard models.
Well, funny you should say that. While looking at VTX 1800, I fell in love with a 1999 Honda Valkyrie Black Interstate. I thought it was the one and had updated seats, exhaust, F4 Windshield. Love that BatWing Fairing, and mod was already done to unbolt, unplug the tour pack.
I appreciate everyone's honest opinions .

Thank you
Ken

1 - 19 of 19 Posts