Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 05 VTX 1800F. I am 6'5" with a 34" inseam. I am getting a leg cramp after about 30 minutes of riding. It seems as if its mainly in my right leg.
I have tried everything.
Had the factory seat modded for me. Put a Mustang seat on it with backrest. Put three inch forward controls on, then tried five inch forward controls.

While this is more comfortable, I am still getting the pain.

Any thoughts on this???

G

·
I only get leg cramps when I'm dehydrated. Don't know if that has anything to do with it in your case; just a thought.

·
Registered
217 Posts
xsivone said:
I have a 05 VTX 1800F. I am 6'5" with a 34" inseam. I am getting a leg cramp after about 30 minutes of riding. It seems as if its mainly in my right leg.
I have tried everything.
Had the factory seat modded for me. Put a Mustang seat on it with backrest. Put three inch forward controls on, then tried five inch forward controls.

Any thoughts on this???
How long have you had the hypercharger? I know mine used to push my leg out away from the bike and it used to cramp up. It took me a week or two to get used to it. Now I dont notice. But at first I did get some cramping.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
Drink more water, you will be surpised all the ailments it cures!! Seriously..

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
My right leg would sometime cramp also. ?? wtf ?? I was told gatoraid would help. I looked it up and they said a lack of what ever that is that banana's have can cause the leggs to cramp. !!!!!!!

:roll: :lol:

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
haveme1 said:
My right leg would sometime cramp also. ?? wtf ?? I was told gatoraid would help. I looked it up and they said a lack of what ever that is that banana's have can cause the leggs to cramp. !!!!!!!

I think its the potassium in the bananas, recommended that to the Marine son when he started having leg cramps in boot camp.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Could be potassium, could be hydration. Lack of one or the other or both can cause cramping.

For me, it was neither. After getting rid of my Shadow 1100 and the pegs and switching to 1800R with the boards, my cramping went away completely. Must have been a pressure point somewhere.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll have to try drinking more water and maybe some Gatorade.
I am drinking all the time when I ride, but maybe not enough.

The hypercharger is new, so thats not part of the problem. I was dissappointed though that it pushed my leg out farther.

Thanks for the replies.

Tim

·
Registered
217 Posts
xsivone said:
I'll have to try drinking more water and maybe some Gatorade.
I am drinking all the time when I ride, but maybe not enough.

The hypercharger is new, so thats not part of the problem. I was dissappointed though that it pushed my leg out farther.

Thanks for the replies.

Tim
If the hypercharger is new and it pushes your leg out that could be part of the problem. is the cramp in your thigh or your calf? I'm guessing it is the same problem I had and its in your thigh.

Also, they sell potassium pills that help with cramping. I play football and in the August heat they come in handy to keep from cramping up on the filed.

(But I think its your leg getting used to the new position from the hypercharger....I had the exact same problem )

·
Registered
41 Posts
I get them also. I wrote it off as age. I'm 6'4" and 34" inseam. They happen the most when I have riding a long way without stoping and putting my feet down. When it happens I stop, drink, and walk around for a while.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Cut off your leg.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
michael7276 said:
I hear that MIDOL helps with cramps.....
:shock: :lol:

Yeah potassume thats it !!!

I think too, if you haven't had this problem before the HC, then it is because your "vavoring" the HC with a different leg position or not relaxing that leg as you did before.

Relax, enjoy !!!!!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
haveme1 said:

Drink more water, eat a banana, or carry some vitamins high in potassium.

Jack

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
+2 or 3. Happens to me as well. When I know I am going for a long ride I take two Pills (Potassium) with 20oz of water before jumping on the bike. Now I have to stop to pee. Better than the cramps tho. Keep the pills in my tool bag.

Moon

·
Registered
886 Posts
Stretch too.

legs, lower back, and some sit-ups. Not many.
I do a slow count to 70 or 100 on each stretch.
Maybe 10 situps.
Do everyday. Drink water.

·
Registered
35 Posts
xsivone said:
I have tried everything.

Any thoughts on this???
I have an 06 F... same height and inseam and had the same issue. Everything these guys have said here works. I started drinking more water, getting a good daily dose of potassium and stretching before and after long rides. Haven't had the same issue since.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts