Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble shifting from 2nd to 3rd, just started yesterday, it will shift if I tap lightly on the toe shifter, any ideas for the fix?

·
Registered
6,476 Posts
It would help if you listed what VTX you own. If your bike will shift "if I tap lightly on the toe shifter" I'm puzzled what your problem is, as it's supposed to shift just that way. Perhaps you meant to add "without pulling in the clutch" to the statement?

The 1300 has a manual clutch and the 1800 has a hydraulic clutch. If you own the 1300 make sure it is adjusted properly. If you own an 1800 there isn't much you can easily do for adjustments, but at least make sure your clutch fluid level is topped full. Here is a 'how to' video for the VTX 1300 clutch adjustment:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm having trouble shifting from 2nd to 3rd, just started yesterday, it will shift if I tap lightly on the toe shifter, any ideas for the fix?
It would help if you listed what VTX you own. If your bike will shift "if I tap lightly on the toe shifter" I'm puzzled what your problem is, as it's supposed to shift just that way. Perhaps you meant to add "without pulling in the clutch" to the statement?

The 1300 has a manual clutch and the 1800 has a hydraulic clutch. If you own the 1300 make sure it is adjusted properly. If you own an 1800 there isn't much you can easily do for adjustments, but at least make sure your clutch fluid level is topped full. Here is a 'how to' video for the VTX 1300 clutch adjustment:

I have a VTXr 1800

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Clean & lube all pivot points on the shift linkage first!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
VTXr 1800, was told I can adjust the linkage rod forward just a little bit, that it may be not engaging fully in gear?

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
the shift lever and control parts... disassemble every 2 year...
clean and lubricate

if a part moves... it needs lubrication

long ago and not far away... motorcycles had grease fittings on the brake, clutch and gear shifting parts.
now its only in the Service manual.

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Are you suggesting that southern Texas is NOT far away from Ohio?
BS!
:giggle:
NE Ohio and South Texas is 1,800 miles... I did that trip twice in 12 days. last year.. with the SuperDuty. :) with trailers.

·
Registered
12,176 Posts
The pedal pivot bushing is probably dry.
Heel - Locks up easier due to pressure on the outside heel bar.
Toe side is longer and you probably shift more in the center of the toe bar..
Clean and lube usually gets you going again.

Reactions: Jimmy Don
1 - 13 of 13 Posts