Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, heres the deal. I bought my 1300c last summer used from a local dealer. I love the bike and have done some minor things to it. Grips, lights, mirrors, and levers. When i purchased the bike i was told it had V & H pipes on it , a stage kit and K&n air filter. Well, i just went to change the air filter and its a stock filter. Now this got me thinking. Is there really a jet kit in the bike?- How can i tell if there is a kit in it? also If there is a kit installed, Can I do the scar method to improve throttle response or is that a mute point with a kit already in there?

By the way, i just ordered the "replacement K& N air filter"

Thanks for any help in advance.

Hunter

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
SCAR method is not necessary if you have a jet kit, you can easily make adjustments by moving the e-clip up and down on the needle. If you truly have a jet kit the needle will have 5 grooves in it. A stock needle only has one.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info. That sounds reasonable and straight forward. I was really hoping someone wasnt going to tell me i needed to remove the jets and have them sized in order to tell.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
371 Posts
the size of the jet is actually etched on the jet itself..at least the ones with my kit were..so that makes it easier than having them mic'ed

·
Registered
490 Posts
Most jets are stamped with their size on the top of them. But it would require you to remove the carb and pull the bottom off to see it. And a magnifying glass wouldn't be a bad idea either.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ha, ha.. thanks guys. Cant i just look at the needle though?-- and hey, i think you might be right about that magnifying glass thing. I think i need glasses anyway!..lol

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
ha, ha.. thanks guys. Cant i just look at the needle though?-- and hey, i think you might be right about that magnifying glass thing. I think i need glasses anyway!..lol

I've known people who have ran jet kits with the stock main jet. But never knew anyone who ran a jet kit with the stock needle with aftermarket main jet. At least that's my experience.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i think im going to check that needle. that makes this check easy. thanks bro

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
..found this pic on the web..our stock needle looks like this, although this one is out of a Harley..

..I'm running a 210 main Factory-Pro--58 slow jet factory-pro--2 shims (scar mod) with the stock needle..

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have V&H big shots and a K&N and only needed to open the air/fuel screw about half a turn. No problems!!!! They say it is when you actually do something bigger than just a filter like new intake that you need to rejet.

S

·
0 Posts
IMPORTANT QUESTION:

How does the bike run????

If it runs great, eh, well,,, like grandpa used to say, "If it ain't broke, Don't fix it!!"

I hear of lotsa folks that go to dinkin around with their jets/ jet kits, and end up worse off than they were,,,

The Scar mod seems to be a tried and true method when it comes to jetting a carb,,,

If it ain't runnin' right, I'd recommend to my carb'ed friends adjusting the A/F screw, and if that didn't fix it, the Scar mod ,,,, (I'm F.I. )

Again, if it's runnin' good, I'd put the tools away and RIDE that sucka!!!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
..found this pic on the web..our stock needle looks like this, although this one is out of a Harley..

..I'm running a 210 main Factory-Pro--58 slow jet factory-pro--2 shims (scar mod) with the stock needle..

Just wondering what the benefit of running the stock needle over the Factory Pro needle?

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
Just wondering what the benefit of running the stock needle over the Factory Pro needle?
just cost. FP does not sell the needle unless you buy the entire kit, I think is around 80 bucks now. however they do see the jets individually. SO to save some $$ you can just buy the bigger jets from them and then shim the stock needle

neelde vs needle, they have similar profiles and length I belive

I

·
0 Posts
the factory pro needle has a much different taper to it than either the DJ or stock, it's supposed to work better.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
the factory pro needle has a much different taper to it than either the DJ or stock, it's supposed to work better.

Thanks what I thought, the stock needle has to obey emissions regulations. Aftermarket needles don't need to because they usually have some disclaimer on it you don't intend to use it on public roads.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts