Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
my bike is a 2004 1300c about 85k miles. i put 78k on it all mods have been done by me. now lets get to the problem.... my bike cuts out. theres no rhyme or reason to it some days it does it a lot other days not at all. it seems if i accelerate hard it cuts out. if i bog the bike down like say im running 40 mph in 5th gear and try to accelerate it will cut out. some times when i go to take off at a stop sign it cuts out but it never ever dies or does it at speed only when im accelerating . i cleaned the carb (same exhaust and carb set up for 6+ years new spark plugs changed both coil packs and the wires and plug boots with no avail i have chased this thing down head to toe and cant seem to get it figured out. i hope some one here has had this issue before but i could not find a existing thread on this issue so its gonna take some one smarter than me.......i have always done my own work have not changed anything to the bike such as fuel or air relation in quiet some time. part of me is leaning towards maybe a short in wires going to my coil packs?? and advice would be great...
thanks, Dude

Registered
Verify battery cables are tight on the battery posts.

The two most forward wires of the ICM have broken frequently. Green wire and Black wire.
Sometimes back fires.. With engine running pull lightly on those wires.
My slide valve diaphragm became dis-functional at 93k miles and again at 186k miles.
Low top end speed was the major issue with lack of acceleration. Frequent backfires at take off.
Cracked interior of vacuum hose(petcock) can cause lack of fuel flow .
My Signature line pic has "stress relieved ICM wires".

ICM drawing. https://www.vtxoa.com/attachments/1300-icm-connector-png.137700/

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Ive replaced all the vaccume lines and fuel lines less than 6 months ago nothing in the carb was terribly dirty. I fixed the ecm wires at 65k now at 85k. brand new yuasa battery terminals are tight. I have not changed anything besides the coils and spark plugs and engine oil and other basic maintenance in the last 25 k miles. Carb cleaned every winter during winter inspection and services. Will double check ecm wires again. And wires going to coil will keep updated.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Update. Ecm wires are still fine no change when bike was ideling and its has never given me a issue when in neutral or when clutch in. Can rev normal. Only time the bikes given me issues is in gear. When i cleaned the carb last week the slide diaphragm looked fine. No cracks or visable wear on it i have a new one will swap it out and see if anything changes though

Registered
-----Only time the bikes given me issues is in gear.------
Check the kickstand switch,it could be loose.
Someone once had s KS spring break, KS flopping some.
ICM has two status leads, neutral and Kickstand.
One has to have an active Ground connection.
No ground = No Ignition.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Its always the simplest things.... had a slight bit of corrosion in the kill switch cleaned it up and bike is running like it should again...thanks for all the input

Registered
Some say never use the Kill Switch.
I operate my Kill Switch often.
Many switches have a wiping action that would prevent corrosion/oxidation on the contacts.
Good to see your problem has been cured.

Old Goat
Its always the simplest things.... had a slight bit of corrosion in the kill switch cleaned it up and bike is running like it should again...thanks for all the input
It鈥檚 called the K.I.S.S principle ....Keep It Simple Stupid... (y) ....congrats

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
I knew as soon as i admitted defeat and made a post about it it would surleys be something stupid.

Premium Member
A bit of dielectric grease on the switch contacts goes a long way to keeping things from oxidizing.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
A step ahead of you. Went through every plug and switch and cleaned and lubed as needed.

Registered
Verify battery cables are tight on the battery posts.

The two most forward wires of the ICM have broken frequently. Green wire and Black wire.
Sometimes back fires.. With engine running pull lightly on those wires.
My slide valve diaphragm became dis-functional at 93k miles and again at 186k miles.
Low top end speed was the major issue with lack of acceleration. Frequent backfires at take off.
Cracked interior of vacuum hose(petcock) can cause lack of fuel flow .
My Signature line pic has "stress relieved ICM wires".

ICM drawing. https://www.vtxoa.com/attachments/1300-icm-connector-png.137700/
Is that wide blue painters tape you used to "stress relieved" the ICM wires with? Or what type tape is it?

Registered

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts