Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed new progressive springs tonight, and took the bike out for a ride. I was listening very closely, and heard a rattle from the back end.
Got home, jiggled this, tapped that, and found it was coming from the exhaust pipes.
My first thought was the brackets, but they were tight. then i tap the pipes in the back, middle and front, top and bottom ones, the the damn thing rattles.Im sure its the baffles, but both of them?
Maybe it's always been there and I havent noticed, but now it pisses me off.

Can y'all who have 3" HK kick your pipes (or just tap them) and let me know if they rattle.

Otherwise, these babies are going back.
Cantex

·
Registered
58 Posts
rattles

my hk did the same, and it was the baffles. i just upgraded to a hyperchrger and just remvd the baffles completely. no more rattle and sounds loud as hell. sat am installing beach bars, its a retro

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hey cantex,

I went out in the garage and tapped mine. Didn't hear any rattles.....you might want to make sure the set screws holding the baffles and the end caps are tight if you haven't already. Also, stick a flashlight in there and see if there are any small rocks in your pipes, with the way the heatshields are open on the back I get some gravel kicked up sometimes between the shields and the pipes.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Mine rattles too. don't bother me, though. it goes away when riding. You might want to put black silicone on the inner end of the baffles before you install it.

the baffles are held in with an allen screw. remove the billet tips, first.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Careful with the black silicon unless you like the smoke and funny smell when they get hot :wink: Besides the problem is a defective weld in the baffle so the silicon would be a temp fix at best.
If yours dont rattle they will....bad design is the bottom line. I have fought this out with HK and they won't do anything about it. There have been several posts on this and I don't think anyone has gotten HK to take any action.....we even discussed a class action against HK!
I yanked the baffles and replaced them with Thunder Monsters and the tone is lower (not quieter) and I picked up some midrange power that was not there before........and best of all no more rattle!
Taking the baffles out is easy. You'll see two screws on the bottom of each pipe. The one at the end holds the end cap and the one about 6-8 inches forward holds the baffle. I took the end caps off by taking out the screws for them then took out the baffle screws. Get a heavy wire coat hangar and straighten it out then bend the end like a hook, slide it in and catch the baffle at the far end then pull it out. Mine were in for a little while so it took a little pulling to get them loose. Good Luck!

·
Registered
58 Posts
my baffles came right out with my fingers , guess that explained the rattle. A lot louder now, plenty of compliments on sound. I've had my pipes about a year this month. Lets see problems with rattle, chrome/rust. But having read some of the guys here having trouble with hk. just been dealing with it one dect at a time. :( . used some mothers chrome polish from wally world and took care of the rust. Love the look ofthese pipes on my retro though. so good luck.

·
Seat Dr
5,159 Posts
When I switched back from straight through baffles to the stock baffles mine rattled some but I tightened up the baffle screws and it took care of it no rattles since.

·
Registered
323 Posts
My buddy had the same problem with his HK 3" and I believe he did this trick.......... After he removed the baffle, he then went to the front side of the baffle where the baffle slides over the exhaust pipe. About an inch or so from the front edge of the baffle he put a few small indentions in the baffle pipe. These indentions will now fit tight against your exhaust pipe when you re-install your baffles. I think he used a ball peen hammer, but you could use a punch or a nice pointed bodyman's hammer. If this doesn't make sense, pm me and I will try to explain it a different way.
Later!!!!!

G

·
I could use a louder sound from my 3”ers, if I take the baffles out will that effect the jetting or performance in any way ?? The dealer did the pipes and hypercharger so I don’t know what combo it is…. thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I should not effect the jetting or performance but it will be slightly louder. Give it a try.......four screws and five minutes and they are out and ride it around the block and see if you like it. You can put them back in in five minutes if you don't.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Am I reading this right? Guys are running these pipes without baffles and no backpressure issues? I already know the tone kicks a$$ because I have pulled them myself, but when I rode, no dice. No backpressure and robbed the power. This was before rejetting and new intake though....just wonderin...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts