Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all, for your candid comments... I am considering buying a new '03 1800 from the dealer so that my wife and I can tour around. The dealer has the 03's on the floor with <25 miles for $8,999. Fully dressed (to my needs), and with freight/title/tags, it will cost $12,000. I would like to get your opinions as to whether the 1800 is a good bike for late-40-somethings to tour around (about 5-7000 miles per year) and if you were starting out again from the beginning, would you have started with the 1800?

I have several years experience but we have just a very little experience on 2 person riding.

Chris

·
Registered
653 Posts
Seriously? The question sounds like someone is asking for a compliment. Yes, the bike is for you. Ride for a while without her to knock the rust off your skills.
Teach her how to be a good passenger. There's a skill set involved, for her and you.
Get David Hough's book Proficient Motorcycling. read it cover to cover twice. It costs $25, its worth $250. Really. Do it! Online Whitehorse Press. Other places too.
Join the HRCA (Honda Riders Club of America) frre the first year with your purchase. There's a $75 discount toward the Motor Scooter School. There are lots of other benefits which make it cheaper to belong, than not to.
Good Luck and good riding. Now just try to wipe that silly smile off your face. HA! We can't either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, this is a serious post. I just ordered the book, thank you ($14.49 on Half.com). I appreciate your comments.

Chris

·
Registered
653 Posts
wecolme

Well, then. you're already ahead of where I was, because you know about this board.
The Tech board has a lot of good information, but don't let the "problems" scare you. By FAR, everybody's bike works fine. I've decided to keep mine mostly stock. 02 "C". There are some very good add-ons depending on your personal tastes and useage.
A cruise control is very handy for longer rides. The cheap ones (Vista Cruiser) works for me because its basically flat around here. It is a throttle friction device. There are real cruise controls.
Do a search before you post on the tech board. Just about everything has a thread or two.
I was serious about the HRCA too. Ask your dealer when you purchase. It's frre the first yr. Plus you'll get free gifts from them, free towing (flat tire, wreck, break down whatever) No hassle.
Dave
P.S. What part of the country are you in?

·
Registered
739 Posts
It is difficult for someone to tell you if a particular bike is good for you or not, especially when we do not know you (your actual experience, what kind of bikes you rode, etc., etc.) BUT, I can tell you that I rode bikes for almost 20 years and then did not ride again for over 16 years before re-entering the market. I re-entered on a Suzuki Intruder 800. Had it 3 months. Sold it. Waited a bit and then I went to a Honda Spirit 1100. Had it 4 months and traded it on a VTX 1800. Have now had the 1800 for 9 months and 5500 miles. I am not a big guy, so the weight of the 1800 was my biggest concern. I had never ridden a bike that was so heavy. I rode much faster bikes (last one in 1985 was a Honda V65 Magna), but the weight was a concern (only for parking lot speeds and manuevers). I am not as big as some of the others on this board (5'-9"and 165 lbs.) As it turned out, I can handle the bike quite well, but it is a bit cumbersome at slow speeds and takes some effort to back up any kind of incline. Nothing you can't get used to, though. Beyond that, it is a great bike. And the whole reason I really wanted this size bike was because 90% of my riding is 2 up(for the pulling power). It really shines in that category compared to the smaller bikes. It would be good if you could test ride one somewhere first, but if not, then the only real consideration is the size/weight. If you were pretty experienced in the past, then you will probably have no problem adjusting to it quickly. when compared to all of the competition the VTX is really a great choice. Good luck in making your decision and if you do buy it, this is a great board for communicating with ather VTX owners and a good source of information on just about anything VTX related.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hey Chris,
I think those are great questions, and It's too bad you had to get crap about it. Sometimes you touch a raw nerve when you mention price because Honda had a huge rebate on the 03, after some payed MSRP

I have an 03 and I tour around with the wife a lot. It's a great bike for touring.

Things I might have done differently?

I would have got 4"" risers right away, along with the aeromach cruisin pegs and a mustang seat....now that's cruising/touring in comfort and style!

I might have purchased the national Cycle Out in front package, it has a nice windshield and lightbar for a good price.

I would have got my Kuryakyn ellipse Convex Mirrors sooner...they really add appeal.

I would have put in a Xenon headlight sooner...small cost...brighter light.

One thing that is hard to get around is laying out a big chunk of change for the Honda saddlebags..but they are very good bags...and they look great oin the X.

I have a formula I use for aftermarket shopping for chrome and extras. Calculate the cost of everything through HDL at 10% less, because a few times a year HDL has a 10% off sale...and you hit your wish list hard and $ave, if you can wait:)

Secondly, create a custom search for the VTX on ebay and get emails when your items appear. Just remember, watch the sneaky shipping and handling tricks. You can real steal quality VTX accesories off Ebay, if you are patient and persistant.

Oh..I would have coated the rims so the brake dust doesn't pit the wheels. :-( Honda should have done that at the factory.

Now if you like it quiet...keep the stock pipes...a little louder...Roadhouse slips ons...a little more sound...roadhouse slip ons with performance baffles...performance, looks, and sound...Vance and Hines Big Shots....BIG BAD sound Big shots with Thundermonster Baffles...
Be VERY sure you want something on your bike if you see the words "some drilling required" in the instructions. If you get the chrome tip...use double sidded tape..no need to drill...but the tip is not as nice as the front and reaar guard rails..just the nice amount of crome to accent..That's what I Like!!!!

Oh yeah..wise choice to buy the X...the Big Boy.

Respectfully,

David

·
Registered
630 Posts
The 1800 would be a good bike. They are very reliable. The one thing the dealer most likely did not tell you is the C version can only go about 120 miles before a fill up. The R version has an extra gallon of gas compared to the C. So for touring, I would suggest getting the Retro. All depends on what you want to do with it.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Brewster said:
The 1800 would be a good bike. They are very reliable. The one thing the dealer most likely did not tell you is the C version can only go about 120 miles before a fill up. The R version has an extra gallon of gas compared to the C. So for touring, I would suggest getting the Retro. All depends on what you want to do with it.
The salesman I had did not even know the "C" had a smaller tank......good thing I found the board first, but I could not pass the deal on the "C".

Paul

·
Registered
983 Posts
LChrisNS said:
To all, for your candid comments... I am considering buying a new '03 1800 from the dealer so that my wife and I can tour around. The dealer has the 03's on the floor with <25 miles for $8,999. Fully dressed (to my needs), and with freight/title/tags, it will cost $12,000. I would like to get your opinions as to whether the 1800 is a good bike for late-40-somethings to tour around (about 5-7000 miles per year) and if you were starting out again from the beginning, would you have started with the 1800?

I have several years experience but we have just a very little experience on 2 person riding.

Chris
Welcome Chris, I'd been away from riding for 25yrs when I bought a slightly used 1800 C-model off of the classifieds on this site 2 1/2yrs ago. I'm 49 so that fits in the age group your talking about :lol: I've been averaging about 1,000 miles a month, it's a great bike and there are lots of great bikes these days. I took the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Course right away and after a couple of saturdays cruising Wyoming (no traffic) felt very comfortable. My 14yr old daughter and I ride often and last year went to the Colorado VTX Ride In over the July 4 weekend. http://www.coloradovtxriders.org Kid made me buy a new seat (Ultimate) stock was fine with me. Most of my accesories are geared toward middleage/long cruise comfort like big windshield and electic jacket liner and gloves to extend my riding season. The only thing on an X that I would shy away from would be spoke wheels, the cast wheels have tubeless radials and are a better investment in MY view. Maintenance is pretty straight forward except for a pain in the rear valve adjust every 8k. Price sounds good, you'll always hear of a better deal later on most anything ya buy. :lol:
The big question is..... is the spouse up for touring/cruising? Come out to Denver on July 4, it's very family oriented, great people and amazing rides. Cya, Lep

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
to jbdog

I have just sold my Nighthawk 450 and am in the midst of selling my Nighthawk 650.

<< I am not a big guy, so the weight of the 1800 was my biggest concern. I had never ridden a bike that was so heavy.>> Me too, and me niether. I am also 5'9" and 165

<<...90% of my riding is 2 up...>> I want mine to be that too as I need to get my wife up, out, and around [2 years post-stroke but nothing that would now make her fall off now, though]
<< It would be good if you could test ride one somewhere first...>> anyone live near Portland Oregon?

<<... this is a great board for communicating with ather VTX owners...>> Your response, and all of the others, have proved that to be true.

Thanks to all. Please keep your comments coming.

Chris

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
solveforX said:
Hey Chris,
...I would have got 4"" risers right away, along with the aeromach cruisin pegs and a mustang seat....

I might have purchased the national Cycle Out in front package, it has a nice windshield and lightbar for a good price.

I would have got my Kuryakyn ellipse Convex Mirrors sooner.

I would have put in a Xenon headlight sooner...small cost...brighter light.

One thing that is hard to get around is laying out a big chunk of change for the Honda saddlebags..

I would have coated the rims so the brake dust doesn't pit the wheels.

Respectfully,

David
First point(s) yep, yep, yep (we think alike) THose were part of the upgrade in the $12,000.

Windscreen, yep. The mirrors and headlight I will have to research.

Saddlebags: was going with the Honda canvas ones versus hardshell just for convenience. Thougths?

Hmmm.. brake dust. I was just planning on not stoping once I bought the bike. I will have to research this, too.

Again. Thanks. Please let me know if you have more suggestions prior to purchasing.

Chris

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Leprechaun said:
I'm 49 so that fits in the age group your talking about :lol:

I took the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Course right away...

cruising Wyoming...

Colorado VTX Ride In over the July 4 weekend.

The big question is..... is the spouse up for touring/cruising?

Cya, Lep
We are 47 and 46 so the age and purchasing power are in the same backet, it seems. I also took the MSFC (at the demand of my daughters and there husbands), it was well worth the January winter rain. I just got done with a project for the State of Wyoming (the Public Service Commission) in WY... LOVE THE STATE!! and hope to come back there to work. I actually looked in Laramie for a bike when I was over there.

Thanks for the invite to the CO VTX Ride In. I talked to my wife and we are game if we have the VTX. Will you be the one wearing the motorcycle helmet? (mandatory in Oregon).

I need to get my wife up, out, and around [2 years post-stroke but nothing that would now make her fall off now, though]

CHris

·
Registered
25 Posts
The 1800 is the way to go but.... Right now my local dealer has 03's, still in the crate, for $8900.( With 0 miles.) I've owned more than a few bikes over the last ,(more than a few) years and I can honestly say I've never enjoyed a bike more than this one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just as a point of reference

Just as a point of reference for you. I just recently bought an 1800S after not riding for 14 years. Had ridden large bikes before in the late 80's early 90's (1500 Vulcan, V-Max, KZ-1000) but was concerned about getting used to the size again. Also was concerned about wanting to trade up if I got the 1300, so ended up with the larger one.

I took an MSF course right away and was comfortable on the bike within 250 miles. I only have about 600 on it right now so I can not comment on long distance cruising yet, but I can already tell, as others on this board have mentioned, that the stock seat gets hard after round 75 miles. I plan on replacing it soon.

I am 5'9" with a 29" inseam and the bike fits well, still feels a little heavy in a parking lot, but am getting used to it.

·
Registered
983 Posts
hey Chris, If you scroll down on the forum index there are some state sites listed http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=13 I didn't know Oregon had one. Looks like they getogether now and then.
I'm almost 5'7" and 165, the weight isn't a factor after you get used to the bike itself. After 1k miles it felt like a dirt bike. :lol: To me any bike over 500lbs is huge so not much difference between 500 or 700 my opinion. I do have to say that I haven't seen many canvas saddlebags but lots of T-bags and sissybar bags made of fabric. I use the biggest Tourmaster sissybar bag with a roll bag on top so I can take it off easy when I get to the destination. But then I'm not into being cool anymore :lol:. Enjoy and lets us know what you buy, Lep

·
Registered
146 Posts
Pay the extra and get the Top of the line Honda bags...they are really great.

Whow! :shock: I just thought of something. Look into how your insurance compnay will set your premium. If you pay 12.000 for the bike and accessories...you got a bigger premium than if you got a 9,000 bike..put on the stuff afterwards.. and you can call the insurance company and add the big stuff on at your conveinece...

Did you say you want to tour. No offense meant, but for touring the Retro is your bad boy of choice..and for 2-up pulling power...you want to Big Boy (1800)

respectfully,

David

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
solveforX said:
No offense meant, but for touring the Retro is your bad boy of choice..and for 2-up pulling power...you want to Big Boy (1800)

respectfully,

David
I did a little research and found out that I had been looking at the 1800R. I did not know that there was a difference (only in the looks, at least in the 2004). I could not find too much info on the 03 R versions though. Did they make one in 03?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
900 Posts
LChrisNS said:
solveforX said:
No offense meant, but for touring the Retro is your bad boy of choice..and for 2-up pulling power...you want to Big Boy (1800)

respectfully,

David
I did a little research and found out that I had been looking at the 1800R. I did not know that there was a difference (only in the looks, at least in the 2004). I could not find too much info on the 03 R versions though. Did they make one in 03?

Thanks,
Chris
"R" model in '02 & '03.

Ride Safe, Take Care, Dan
:coffee1: :coffee1: :coffee1: :coffee1: :coffee1:

·
Registered
146 Posts
i admit my Bias freely...I am a huge retro fan...

Chris....You may want to investigate the full inventory available to the dealer ....sometimes the dealer would like to guide you to a color or spec they want to move....but they may have some more inventory..which a quick internal search by a sales rep will reveal.
When I first saw the X the only X on the floor was the (no disrespect intended) Radioactive green...which was not for me. It turns out though that they had Illusion Blue and Red crated up...but really wanted to unload the green...

Also if the salesperson says the computer indicates the bike is "Blue" , be sure your clear on which Blue. Theres "illusion Blue" which is actually chromatic purple (very nice) Pearl blue, metallic blue...

Chris, you are a wise man to do the research first! Pssst.... no harm in making the dealers compete against each other either.
see if you can get the dealer to sell you the extras at the lowest tier of pricing they have in the computer.

Respectfully,

David

1 - 19 of 19 Posts