Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just traded up from a 1300 to an 1800 and, of course, had VH Big Shots installed and installed the Power Commander myself. It's doing great, but I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea on the best ranges to program it. Right now, it's right in the middle on the low, mid, and high ranges. I haven't tinkered with it much, waiting to get some feedback.
I would appreciate som ideas on this.

Thanx

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Dave,
you didn't wreck the 1300 I hope? Let me guess, passed it on to your girlfriend and that gave you the excuse to get back in the seat of an 1800? :lol: :lol:
Good to hear from you, I think that Bare has on his site some Maps you can download and some settings to try.
Check his post, I think that there is a link there!!
Godd to hear from you!

·
Super Moderator
63,762 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Preacher! Good to hear from you. No...not a wreck, just ready for that extra HP! Thanks for the heads-up on Bare's link.

Behave yourself!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's why I'm not tinkering Spike...I just KNOW I'd mess somethin' up!
I'll check those links, thanks a bunch. :D

·
Registered
885 Posts
Spike,

I just ordered my PCIII, will be ordering Jardine Drags and plan to either buy the Thunder Tornado or Hurricane. I looked at the web page that you just posted for the Thunder Maps. They have one with the Jardines and Thunder Airbox. I have three questions:

The maps are for an '02 VTX1800. I have an '03. Does that matter?

The maps all just say Thunder Mfg Air Box. Do I assume that it doesn't matter which Thunder box....Tornado, Hurricane, etc?

The map will be my exact setup on my bike. Is there a significant difference between using one of these maps versus getting a custom map? Custom map will cost another $200 at my local dyno shop and I want to justify the need.

Thanks for your help,

·
Super Moderator
63,762 Posts
Eye In The Sky said:
Spike,

The maps are for an '02 VTX1800. I have an '03. Does that matter?
No, same engine
Eye In The Sky said:
The maps all just say Thunder Mfg Air Box. Do I assume that it doesn't matter which Thunder box....Tornado, Hurricane, etc?
Yes, it should not matter.
Eye In The Sky said:
The map will be my exact setup on my bike. Is there a significant difference between using one of these maps versus getting a custom map? Custom map will cost another $200 at my local dyno shop and I want to justify the need.

Thanks for your help,
You can try the all the maps you find, it won't hurt the bike or the PC3 and you should find one that does well for you. However, they really won't be a perfect map because every engine is a little different. They will be close, I know I did the whole fooling with maps and did find one that was good. Then I decided a year later to save up and get a custom map. It was a world of difference. I was amazed at how much better my bike ran. It didn't run that good when I rode the bike home with 4 miles on the odometer.

So try some free maps, you'll find one that you'll like. Then if you decide to down the road, get a custom done. 8)

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
Ditto Spike's thoughts - I will say that if you can't get your map dialed in too close yourself (most of us aren't tuners) a custom map (from a GOOD tuner) is worth every penny. Johnny Cheese did Skammer's bike which I thought we had dialed in at least CLOSE and he still got 7 more horses and 10 more ft/lbs of torque out of the motor - this amounted to better MPG and MUCH better overall "drivability". :wink:

·
Registered
885 Posts
Thanks Spike and Bare,

Do either of you know of a good tuner in the Indianapolis area? There is a dyno at the Honda Dealership in Noblesville, IN, but I have no way of knowing if they are good. If I am going to spend $200, I want it done right. Wish I could ride to Texas, but that is a bit much.

Thanks again,

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
we need to rent a big rig.....

meet up on the way.... party in the back with the scooters.... and take about 15 bikes to JC's shop!

that might be cost effective if not just plain FUN. 8)

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
Eye In The Sky said:
Thanks Spike and Bare,

Do either of you know of a good tuner in the Indianapolis area? There is a dyno at the Honda Dealership in Noblesville, IN, but I have no way of knowing if they are good. If I am going to spend $200, I want it done right. Wish I could ride to Texas, but that is a bit much.

Thanks again,
Not being a tuner I can't vouch for many, I can say that if you PM JC he might know someone who can help - he seems to know the good ones all over. :wink:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts