Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been reading that you can mod the factory exhause by trimming the baffles and dilling so holes does this really help ? also is a power commander going to really help alot if I do the Factory exhause mod? and finally is getting a K&N airfilter going to help very much ?

thanks for any help

·
Super Moderator
63,763 Posts
Welcome to the board!
Bookmark this website, http://tech.vtxoa.com This is the sister site to this message board and contains all your How-to/Tips/Tricks/Why’s and links to other helpful sites for your new VTX.
There is also a helpful red Search icon at the top of every page(not the Google search). Enter your item to be searched in the "Search Query" section and click the "Search for all terms" bullet under the query. Then go to the "Search Options" section and choose a board from the "Forum" drop down menu. This will limit the results to your search so you won't get pages of "Fluff" .

The pupose of the "Search" is to offer a member the opportunity to research his/her question better. There is so much information from past threads that you may never see because that member is no longer here, or doesn't see your new post, or just won't respond to the same question. So use it to your advantage and enjoy the board! View this funny and informative film about posting and searching…
http://uploads.ungrounded.net/188000/188612_Posting.swf

Also, take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the forum. At the top of every board there are threads that are tagged as "Sticky" These threads are "Sticky" because they contain very important/valuable information about the VTX and everyone should read them.
The thread at the top of the 1800 tech board called, "Air, Fuel, Motors..." will answer most of the performance questions...
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28918

Also, update your Profile to include what type X you have to your Signature line. I.E. 1300/1800/C/F/N/R/S.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
welcome aboard

Ill let spike get the search post for you soon. IT DOES HELP!

when you say will it HELP? what are you looking to help. What do you want out of your bike?

give us some more info to what you want from your new bike it will help.

DAMN SPIKE YOUR ON IT! :shock:

·
Super Moderator
63,763 Posts
Re: New 2002 Vtx 1800 Rider looking for 1st mods I should d

badwished said:
Ive been reading that you can mod the factory exhause by trimming the baffles and dilling so holes does this really help ?
Yes
badwished said:
also is a power commander going to really help alot if I do the Factory exhause mod?
You don't need a fuel manager to drill the exhaust or add a K&N.
Most members run without a fuel manager while having aftermarket air intakes and exhaust and have no problems at all. The following is from the “Sticky” thread called,“Air,Fuel,Motor,Missives…” and the first post by Tapper. The entire post is filled with great information on the VTX engine.

Tapper said:

After Market Fuel Computers

This is a good time to talk about aftermarket fuel controllers, so lets hit on what they do real quick. The 1300 guys can manipulate their A/F ratios by changing jets, but it’s a bit more complex (and expensive) for the 1800 riders. For the VTX, there are basically three types of controller available. All three do exactly the same thing – they manipulate the amount of time the injectors are turned on during the intake stroke, by intercepting the voltage the ECU sends to the injectors. How the decide how much longer or shorter to turn the injector on, varies a bit though, and that variety is important thing to know when selecting which controller to use on your bike (if in fact you choose to use on at all – none of them are ever really necessary, regardless of what pipes or airboxes you add on to the bike.)

It’s also important to understand this: None of these controllers is ever a necessity, regardless of whether you change pipes or airboxes on your bike. The stock ECU will, in almost every case, adjust to the changes in airflow you’ve caused, and give you a reasonably good A/F ratio.
But you should understand, that the ECU is not programmed to give you an A/F ratio that is optimized for horsepower from the factory – instead, Honda worries about things like pollution, engine temperature, and rider perception, and so the ECU can be said to be “de-tuned” in order to address these other concerns. So the real function of these add-on controllers is to correct the error (or eliminate the de-tuning) that Honda induced in your fuel curve on purpose, in order to reclaim the lost horsepower and improve engine efficiency (possibly at the cost of making more pollution, hearing more deceleration backfiring, etc). Adding on aftermarket pipes or airboxes can sometimes exaggerate this de-tuning as well, so we need to be able to modify our fuel curves to match the configuration of our bikes. Got that? These boxes aren’t necessary, but if you’re hunting more horses, they can sure find them.
badwished said:
and finally is getting a K&N airfilter going to help very much ?
A little more air in, yes. 8)

thanks for any help[/quote]

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow that was a quick REPLY!, Thanks for all the reply, Basically I want to get little more power, I was looking at different aftermarket pipes, and they get expensive, I basically want to make it a little louder, and give it a little more power, I was also thinking about getting the Bosh Plus4 plug, I used the SEARCH and found people are having good look with them,

also are there any MOST have mods I should be doing?

Again THANKS,

·
Registered
20 Posts
The pair valve block off plates, will keep it from backfiring it you mod. the exhaust!
I made my own, but they only cost about $15. GOOD DEAL!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you give me a link to this mod you are talkng about ? also when u drill holes in baffle is it alot louder ?

·
Super Moderator
63,763 Posts
The VTXOA Garage I linked in my first post has all the tips/tricks/mods for your bike. Also the sticky thread "Need Help - Post a link, help a brudda out" has more stuff. 8)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just checked it that site out very nice, So I take from reading that site, that a power commander, and pipes is a day and night difference ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts