Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've had my VTX 1300 C for 3 years now and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Recently, the wife and I have been looking for something that would be a little more comfortable on longer trips. After looking @ the Gold Wing, we settled on the 2007 HD Ultra Classic. I was looking for something that had plenty of room, both in the seat and storage areas. I went with the Harley as I don't think I am quite ready to go the Gold Wing route yet. I still like the sound of a V Twin engine.

Anyway, I plan to hang on to the X. It's paid for and still a lot of fun to ride. I plan to stay on the board as it is a great place to pick up a lot of good ideas.

Thanks and everyone ride safe!

Gary

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Congratulations.

I went the other way this year. I wanted a lighter faster and better handling vtwin.

I waiting till i see all the new releases for the US and so far Buell's new 1125r with 146hp looks like the ticket for my short rides. :D Only $11,995 msrp too.

Im keeping the VTX though

·
Registered
8,223 Posts
You have a garage ...

How strange ...

Most folks seem to think we all have "stables" ...

congratulations on your garage ...

Everybody's got a motorcycle ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I knew I logged on for a reason ...

Ride happily .... :wink:

opinions vary ..

all blessings ...

crew

:crew:

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
crew said:
You have a garage ...

How strange ...

opinions vary ..

all blessings ...

crew

:?
Your posts always leave me wondering if I got high earlier and asking myself ".....what....?" :lol: 8)

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Big-Fokker said:
crew said:
You have a garage ...

How strange ...

opinions vary ..

all blessings ...

crew

:?
Your posts always leave me wondering if I got high earlier and asking myself ".....what....?" :lol: 8)
Not high....

Crew is a cut above the rest ...

Very philosophical ...

Always good posts and a positive thinker ...

Because: ...

opinions vary ..

all blessings ...

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Have you ever noticed just how many HD Ultra Glides, Road Glides, Street Glides, etc you see on the road. A V-Twin tourer is very popular. Honda could be getting some, maybe a lot of that market with a comfortable VTX1800 tourer. Not everyone wants a Gold Wing or BMW K1200LT. It baffles me that Honda ignores the V-twin tourer market.

There are some really nice tourers guys here have made from the VTX platform, but not everyone has that kind of expertise or desire to put one together.

BTW, that's a nice ride you purchased cajunarkyx.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
That's funny to me. Same bike same color sitting in my garage, 2003.
A friend bought it and it don't fit in his shed. Leaves me the bike and keys, with permition.
I only took it on him once :wink: when my sled was down for clutch work.

·
Registered
156 Posts
cajunarkyx said:
Well, I've had my VTX 1300 C for 3 years now and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Recently, the wife and I have been looking for something that would be a little more comfortable on longer trips. After looking @ the Gold Wing, we settled on the 2007 HD Ultra Classic. I was looking for something that had plenty of room, both in the seat and storage areas. I went with the Harley as I don't think I am quite ready to go the Gold Wing route yet. I still like the sound of a V Twin engine.

Anyway, I plan to hang on to the X. It's paid for and still a lot of fun to ride. I plan to stay on the board as it is a great place to pick up a lot of good ideas.

Thanks and everyone ride safe!

Gary

I am looking at the Ultra Classic too. The bike rides fantastic and isn't priced too bad compared to a comporable Wing or BMW.

I am torn between setting up an 1800N with hard bags, trunk, and fairing or the Ultra Classic.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
texashawk50 said:
you went against WING,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,my god

YOU will be sorrrrryyyyyy
I did take a look @ the Gold Wing but I'm just not crazy about the styling. I've been sorry before but hey, you only go around once! I'm going to enjoy will I can!

samurrocket said:
I am looking at the Ultra Classic too. The bike rides fantastic and isn't priced too bad compared to a comporable Wing or BMW.

I am torn between setting up an 1800N with hard bags, trunk, and fairing or the Ultra Classic.
The pricing of the Ultra was close to the Gold Wing @ the dealership I bought my X from. I agree, the 1800 N would look good w/ hard bags and fairing.

To all, thanks for the comments on the new bike. Over the years, I have owned Kawasaki's, Yamaha's and Honda's. This is my first HD. I thought I would give it a whirl for a while.

Ride safe!
Gary

·
Registered
401 Posts
HD Ultra

Let me know how it goes Gary! I have been trying to make the same decsion, Wing or Ultra? I'm tired of going for a short ride and the wife wants to stop when I'm just getting into it! I'm 48 and have decided that I will upgrade for my 50th Birthday. Never had a Harley, but I'm not mechanically inclined either...

G

·
Better get a pair of heat resistant pants for both you and the wife. You're gonna need them.

Passed on the Wing for an under powered and air cooled Harley tourer? Hmmm.

If Harley would only put the v-rod motor in the ultra classic, I'd be there.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Glennok said:
Better get a pair of heat resistant pants for both you and the wife. You're gonna need them.

I guess that's why they make Coke and Pepsi, Honda and Harley, etc. Not everyone wants or desires the same thing. The fact of the matter is that I have ridden the HD Ultra several times and I realize that it does generate more heat from the engine being that it is air cooled vs. Honda's liquid cooled engine. The '07 Ultra does have a larger displacement engine than in the past (96 c.i. vs 88 c.i. in past models), although not as big as the 1800 or the Gold Wing. I'm not interested in breaking land speed records...just want to cruise the highways. It's all a matter of preference. Owning a touring style HD has been a dream of mine for several years and with my family all grown I was in a position to realize that dream.

I guess to each his own...everyone ride safe!

Gary

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
My brother just bought an anniv edition Ultra Classic off one of his buddies to go along with his Road King. We're supposed to be riding down to the Keys in late Aug and those are the bikes we'll be taking. I've ridden his RK before and liked the comfort, and I'm real anxiuos to get on the UC and see what it feels like.

Nice bike you got there 8)

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Glennok said:

If Harley would only put the v-rod motor in the ultra classic, I'd be
there.
HD did roll out a 2000+cc water cooled twin touring bike at the show Hal went to see. Im not sure if it is Vrod based but im guessing it is Rotax based just like the new Buell 1125r. If its a big Rotax based motor it will easily compete with any touring bike considering the quality of their motors. Eric Buell mainly designed the new Rotax built motor and on paper it is very close to Ducati 1098 standards for almost $3000 less.

Honda for some unknown reason doesnt like using vtwins any more except in affordably priced cruisers. Honda has killed several production non-cruiser vtwins that performed very well.

BTW you can thank the EPA for the high heat from a few of the newer models and a stage 1 fixes that. The new XLs dont seem to have this complaint, its mainly the touring models with stock bagger type duals.

There is even a simple fix that is basically changing the O2 sensors to trick the ECU to run a 13.2 A/F roughly instead of the EPA 14.7 standard. HD's customers wanted a louder exhaust so they leaned the A/F and removed the cats from the mufflers on many models.

I would like to see a 1300cc Vrod based sport touring bike though. :D

·
Registered
949 Posts
cajunarkyx said:
Glennok said:

I guess that's why they make Coke and Pepsi, Honda and Harley, etc. Not everyone wants or desires the same thing. The fact of the matter is that I have ridden the HD Ultra several times and I realize that it does generate more heat from the engine being that it is air cooled vs. Honda's liquid cooled engine. The '07 Ultra does have a larger displacement engine than in the past (96 c.i. vs 88 c.i. in past models), although not as big as the 1800 or the Gold Wing. I'm not interested in breaking land speed records...just want to cruise the highways. It's all a matter of preference. Owning a touring style HD has been a dream of mine for several years and with my family all grown I was in a position to realize that dream.

I guess to each his own...everyone ride safe!

Gary
It all boils down to riding what you like. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a HD if that's what I wanted. They're as nice as anything else these days. Beautiful bikes. 8)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.